Super Bowl Commercials

Was that your first time seeing a rapper? lol Those were mutes for language
No, I know rap "music" has a lot of language in it...figured that's what the audio drop-outs were about. So they must've had at least that portion (if not the entire half-time show) on a delay to do edits like that...

IMHO,

(using the order from USA Today's ad meter, not my order, and only listing ones I have a take on)

- The NFL anniversary. Solid, although you have to be old enough to get it. I watched the game with a diverse age group and most of the young folks clearly did not know what much of it was about. Like everything else NFL, it ignores everything that happened in the 46 years there was no Super Bowl.

- Alexa. Cannot go wrong with cute dogs.

- Microsoft handicapped kids. Could have been very self-satisfied and virtue signaling. Wasn't. Good job.

- Verizon first responders. See above. Also good.

- Budweiser wind farm. Preachy. Budweiser gets 99% of its electricity from the local utility company. Which gets it from coal, nukes, and natural gas, with %ages varying depending on the part of the country. The Bud I drink comes from Columbus, OH, where the local electric company is AEP, which is very heavy coal user.

- Audi. What? It is an ad for a car is HOPES to make, in 8 years, IF it can solve a couple dozen physics problems unsolved from dawn of man to date. Maybe they should advertise cars they make now?

- M-B say the word. Preachy.

- WaPo. Preachy, self-satisfied, inaccurate, incomplete, and biased. Just like the WaPo itself.

- Stella. Good, good to see the "most interesting man in the world" is now free to do other work. But the two main characters are from 20 years ago.

- Bud Light Game of Thrones. Again, I watched in a group and clearly more than half the people had no clue what Game of Thrones was.

- Toyota girl playing football. Every player I saw was a man, so what is this exactly?

- Pepsi OK. It again reminds us that after 40 years of SB commercial spending, most people prefer The Real Thing to The Imitator, and that it is sold on price alone. Pepsi is NOT OK and never will be.

- Kia - small town. GOOD AD! Reminds people where Kias are really made (Georgia) and the vehicle looks awesome.

- Bumble. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think 99% of people on hetrosexual lonely hearts sites are men, so good luck with the product. Women don't need lonely hearts sties.

- Weather Tech. Not particularly great ads, but I really like Weather Tech products and now they are branching out into pet supplies and other stuff, great.

- Bud LIght corn syrup. A-B is on a kick of listing its ingredients so as to point out that its two competitors have corn syrup, and in coming weeks, that a lot of "micro brews" are really made in big factories and have all sorts of odd stuff in them. OK, it was cute, particularly that the Coors castle was snow covered, but it is Bud. Bud is #1. Just like Coke, it should never mention those it has beaten for decades.

- Handmaid's Tale. Ads with a twist work, one time, and this ad worked. This one time. I have not watched the show, may try it.

- Andy Warhol BK. He was never a top shelf celebrity and has been dead for 30 years.

Nothing really stands out as all timers. Kia won, IMHO.

Reactions: Jillian2
No, I know rap "music" has a lot of language in it...figured that's what the audio drop-outs were about. So they must've had at least that portion (if not the entire half-time show) on a delay to do edits like that...
The whole game is on a slight delay. The difference was noticeable, switching from Dish to OTA and back

The whole game is on a slight delay. The difference was noticeable, switching from Dish to OTA and back
Funny thing. I was watching the game on my Joey, went to smoke so I pulled up DA, and it was a full 2 plays ahead. It was 38 seconds on the tv, and 16 seconds on the DA app at the same time when I went back in before half time.

Reactions: HipKat
https://sports.theonion.com/super-bowl-halftime-show-marred-by-functioning-sound-sy-1832309931

ATLANTA—Disappointing the thousands of fans in attendance as well as an estimated 100 million viewers watching at home, the Super Bowl LII halftime show was marred Sunday by the stadium’s functioning sound system, sources confirmed. “Right from the beginning, the sound was working normally, and unfortunately, I could clearly hear the singing,” said 29-year-old spectator Joe Kessler, adding that the show’s audio feed, which was amplified throughout the stadium and transmitted to television broadcasts with no technical issues, made the performances by Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi completely unbearable. “There was definitely nothing wrong with the speakers or the microphones. It’s a shame, because the perfect sound quality just ruined the whole thing.” Kessler added that he hopes Super Bowl organizers would learn from the incident and avoid a similar disaster next year.
Hmm, I wonder if this is the first time The Onion ever published something that is true..... lol

Huh? The delay would happen BEFORE the local station even receives it, so going between Dish & OTA isn't proof of anything. Every day there's delay between those, about 7-10 seconds.

Huh? The delay would happen BEFORE the local station even receives it, so going between Dish & OTA isn't proof of anything. Every day there's delay between those, about 7-10 seconds.
That's not what I'm saying. I should have worded it better, but I was pointing out the difference in delay times by different providers

I thought the Bud Light / GOT commercial was the best, especially now that the Bud Light Knight is dead, and hopefully puts an end to their stupid "Dilly Dilly" commercials.

I liked the M&M's with Christina Applegate and of Course the Harrrison Ford, Dog and Alexa.

I noticed a lot of A list Celebrities doing these Superbowl Commercials.

I was surprised Doritos (Frito Lay) didn't come out with a better unique commercial.

As for the Half Time show , it sucked just as bad as the game did,
I'm not much of a Maroon 5 fan and I don't really know 1 Rapper from the next, As I kinda dislike Rap, if you even want to call it music.
It was a very boring game, it only got slightly interesting in the last 3 minutes.

The Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft love fest at the end made we want to puke, anyhow Tom Brady will retire when he doesn't have anymore fingers thumbs to put Superbowl rings on, and/or Roger Goodell is no longer commissioner of the NFL whichever comes first. I didn't care which team won or lost, my Seahawks weren't playing and anytime I see the Patriots in the
Superbowl reminds me of the stupid play the Hawks did, that probably cost them a second Superbowl win.

Anyhow the ratings will only get worse next year if the Patriots are in it again.

My 2c.

Reactions: reddice
I didn't care which team won or lost, my Seahawks weren't playing and anytime I see the Patriots in the Superbowl reminds me of the stupid play the Hawks did, that probably cost them a second Superbowl win.

Anyhow the ratings will only get worse next year if the Patriots are in it again.

My 2c.
No kidding! Good to find another Seahawks fan too!

As for the ads, I liked the Alexa one the best...everything else (with the exception of the GOT/Bud Lite kit-bash), was pretty much a waste of time (for me anyway). I don't want to take this thread into the political realm (seriously, I don't), but those in-game announcer "social justice" pieces bothered me too. It's the Super Bowl for cryin'-out-loud! Can't we at least have a Super Bowl without injecting politics into it, please?

As for the half-time show, it was a waste of time too...

Reactions: reddice and HipKat
Things not going so well for the super commercial business
Screenshot_20190204-163727_Bloomberg.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The problem is that in the world we live in today the corporations and ad agencies are afraid to go out on a limb and be edgy or take any chances. Everyone is either easily offended or looking for a reason to be offended and it's not worth the risk.

I can't imagine the outcry if the Godaddy commercial from several years ago with Danica Patrick in a leather outfit were to air today.