Super Bowl Commercials

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The problem is that in the world we live in today the corporations and ad agencies are afraid to go out on a limb and be edgy or take any chances. Everyone is either easily offended or looking for a reason to be offended and it's not worth the risk.

I can't imagine the outcry if the Godaddy commercial from several years ago with Danica Patrick in a leather outfit were to air today.
Hmm, I might have to go, ummmmm, research that one.... or something.....

Reactions: TheKrell
That's not what I'm saying. I should have worded it better, but I was pointing out the difference in delay times by different providers

When I used to watch football, occasionally I would stop by and watch a Bills game with someone I used to work with who lives on the OP/West Seneca border a little less 2 miles from the stadium. We would watch on the TV in his sun room and could hear the crowd and PA announcer if the TV was muted. There was about a 10 second delay between what we heard from the stadium versus what we saw on WIVB on Verizon Fios. At home, the difference between cable and satellite wasn't that much. Charter was maybe three seconds ahead of DirecTV. On DirecTV, WROC CBS 8 out of Rochester is a few seconds a head of WIVB putting WIVB on Charter and WROC on DirecTV almost in sync.

Satellite and cable delay are inherit in the transmission format. The signal goes from the transmission truck to a sat, from that sat to provider retrans ground sites, where the signal is compressed, down-rezed and encoded, then sent up to their sats and then sent back down to the subscriber (us). So a somewhat delay has got to be expected because you're sending it up/down 26k miles at least 4 times (plus processing in-between). That's 104,000 miles (round numbers), from start to end. There's going to be a delay, it's unavoidable.

The delay I was referring to was the half-time show and the audio edits that occurred. The only way to do that is via a delay so that someone has time to edit content...

I believe there's been a 7 second delay in live television and radio broadcasts for quite some time. IIRC it was an issue after the Janet Jackson nipple "slip" during the halftime show of Super Bowl whatever it was.

I don't think the Superbowl is the biggest sporting event or the major Television event, it once was, especially now there's all kinds of people who don't watch regular broadcast TV and stream (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc..).
And I think a lot of companies are seeing that and spending their advertising budget on other forms of media, including online.

Satellite and cable delay are inherit in the transmission format. The signal goes from the transmission truck to a sat, from that sat to provider retrans ground sites, where the signal is compressed, down-rezed and encoded, then sent up to their sats and then sent back down to the subscriber (us). So a somewhat delay has got to be expected because you're sending it up/down 26k miles at least 4 times (plus processing in-between). That's 104,000 miles (round numbers), from start to end. There's going to be a delay, it's unavoidable.
I think you're missing some steps...
Venue -> Network headend (this will be via fiber or sat). There is delay introduced before it even hits the transmission medium because there's processing to compress the signal.
Then you have whatever network is doing with it... router, switcher, router, transmission.
Then it's satellite to the various affiliates.
Then you have whatever processing they're putting on it.
Then it's either fiber or OTA to the cable/satco pickup point.
They then fiber it to their headend.
Then they compress it and transmit it to the customers.

A LOT of venues (especially the big ones which MB Stadium would be) use fiber as their primary feed out and satellite as the backup.

I believe there's been a 7 second delay in live television and radio broadcasts for quite some time. IIRC it was an issue after the Janet Jackson nipple "slip" during the halftime show of Super Bowl whatever it was.
Only for certain events. My comment about "nothing is live any more" is because just processing the signal at the affiliate and putting it out OTA causes delay. I'm not even talking about satellites, fiber, networks, or MVPDs.

I think you're missing some steps...
Venue -> Network headend (this will be via fiber or sat). There is delay introduced before it even hits the transmission medium because there's processing to compress the signal.
Then you have whatever network is doing with it... router, switcher, router, transmission.
Then it's satellite to the various affiliates.
Then you have whatever processing they're putting on it.
Then it's either fiber or OTA to the cable/satco pickup point.
They then fiber it to their headend.
Then they compress it and transmit it to the customers.

A LOT of venues (especially the big ones which MB Stadium would be) use fiber as their primary feed out and satellite as the backup.

Only for certain events. My comment about "nothing is live any more" is because just processing the signal at the affiliate and putting it out OTA causes delay. I'm not even talking about satellites, fiber, networks, or MVPDs.
Well, I think I got my idea across even if I'm not an expert in the field. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts