Super Bowl Game Presentation and Commercials

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Been watching the game, and paying more attention to the commercials than the game (kind of ambivalent about it), but I was struck by a few things:

1) almost all of the commercials are in HD

2) there have been far fewer commercial breaks, i.e. TV Time outs, than I remember; it enables the game to have better continuity, but surprising nonetheless.

3) While some of the commercials were funny early on, I have not found them to be particularly remarkable. The one with the guinea pigs and the mouse was funny; and my kid laughed his head off over the rock-paper-scissors Bud commercial.

4) The HD presentation is one of the best I have seen; sure, sometimes they need to change cameras because of the rain, but the picture is crisp.

Just my 2 cents... what commercials did you like?

Need someone to invent a windshield wiper for the cameras...or someone with a handy dry towel to wipe it occasionally....

They were wiping off the camera lenses off every so often. You could tell when they did a poor job every so often. :) The fuzzy look came from smudged lenses. :)

I cover football for high school games (5 camera angles, replay, graphics, announcers live audio broadcast and live-to-digital encode for rebroadcast a couple of hours after the game. The whole deal. Same idea, scaled way way down :) ). When it rains like it was raining in Miami EVERYTHING is soaked. Towels, wipes, clothes, EVERYTHING. No amount of tenting or forward cover will prevent the water from misting on the lenses. After a few minutes they are loaded with water clinging to them. To dry off a lens properly you need a dry lint-free 100% cotton towel and more than just the few seconds they had between plays. If you don't have enough time or the towel is even a little wet when you start you get what we saw tonight. At times smeared and smudged images. Really I was surprised how fast they were able to clean the lenses some times. I know how "fun" it is for me on my rain games! And we had a doozy during the first round of the state tournament this year!

If you noticed the sky-cam (the camera on wires floating around the stadium) was rarely used today. The lens was so caked in water that it was really unusable most of the time.

As for the commercials, the Blockbuster ad was hillarious! The rest were either disgusting or forgettable.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)