Super Dish Locals

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Does anyone think that a inline amp on 105 would boost the locals signal? In fact, how about an inline amp on 110 and 119? :shocked

Why ?? 105 apparently puts *out* a low signal to start with. I don't think an amp would help much.... What's your strength on 105 ?? Apparently anything in the 60-70 range is perfectly okay. I get around 63-67 myself.

The only thing that an inline amp does is amplify what is already there. It does not make up for low signal strengh due to improper alignment. The amps should only be used to compensate for loss due to long cable runs.

Signal Strength

Well, my signal on 105 never gets above 59. Dish is tuned fine. I had some cable issues, but if an inline amp boosts whats there, then maybe it's worth a try. Thank you all for replying! ;)

Are you having problems with your 105 channels? If not, then leave things alone would be my advice. The 105 sat needs a signal strength above 35 or it wont lock in - I would bet you have a type 1 metal super dish, but misalignement isn't your problem (unless 119 & 110 are low too - what are they?) Since your well above 35, you should be fine. As an installer, the higher you try to get the 105, the more you will drop the 119 feed when adjusting the dish. I can get a type 2 dish in the 70's all day, but the type 1 is a different story. So, to use one of Murphy's Laws (I think it was him anyway), if it's not broke, don't try to fix it! It just p*sses us installers off when it turns into a trouble call! LOL

OK, and a question?

farmsatguy said:
Are you having problems with your 105 channels? If not, then leave things alone would be my advice. The 105 sat needs a signal strength above 35 or it wont lock in - I would bet you have a type 1 metal super dish, but misalignement isn't your problem (unless 119 & 110 are low too - what are they?) Since your well above 35, you should be fine. As an installer, the higher you try to get the 105, the more you will drop the 119 feed when adjusting the dish. I can get a type 2 dish in the 70's all day, but the type 1 is a different story. So, to use one of Murphy's Laws (I think it was him anyway), if it's not broke, don't try to fix it! It just p*sses us installers off when it turns into a trouble call! LOL
How would you rate a type 2 dish overall, and what do they run price wise? :eek:

The type 1 dish is a metal dish that can bend and make the signal a royal pain in the back side to fine tune; the type 2 however, is fiberglass and tunes in wonderfully so first check to see it it's metal (type 1) or not. Any installer will take the 2 over the 1 anyday of the week; they go together MUCH easier, fine tune better, and get higher signal strengths for the 105/121 feed. Also, they don't use the "impossible to find" 2 inch pole but instead use a 2 3/8" pole which any fence supplier will carry. The type 2 also fits perfectly on the old Primestar poles as well.

Pricing wise, I don't know...I just install them for Dish Network, I don't retail in any way. Unfortunately, we don't get to pick, it just depends on what is in stock when I load up. I would expect if they are sold though (a retailer on this site should be able to answer this), they should sell for the same regardless of it being type 1 or 2.

I don't believe a Dish Pro or even legacy Dish LNB "in-line amp" exists. You can't use the same in-line amps that are produced for the Cable TV market. Primarily due to the fact that the Dish system supplies voltage to the LNB's to operate and the commands that are sent via DisQueC on the Dish Pro equipment.

Also, in-line amps help to boost "analog" signals, but the Dish equipment is all digital anyways. Them 1 and 0's might be "louder", but the missing digital information from the poor signal won't be replaced with the in-line amp.

Well they do!

DishSatUser said:
I don't believe a Dish Pro or even legacy Dish LNB "in-line amp" exists. You can't use the same in-line amps that are produced for the Cable TV market. Primarily due to the fact that the Dish system supplies voltage to the LNB's to operate and the commands that are sent via DisQueC on the Dish Pro equipment.

Also, in-line amps help to boost "analog" signals, but the Dish equipment is all digital anyways. Them 1 and 0's might be "louder", but the missing digital information from the poor signal won't be replaced with the in-line amp.
There are several suppliers that have inline amps for Sattelite equipment. Starlink-DSS, Sadoun, even Monster cable has them. And refering to a digital signal, do you know how a one and a 0 are acheived? Does 4.6 and 6.4 volts dc ring a bell? A digital freq. still is electricity. Without the electricity, and magnetism, you have absolutely nothing but glazed sand!!! :cool:

Got my parts!!!

Ok, I got my cables and inline amp installed! Works fine, numbers changed a little, seems to hold better! Proof will be when it rains.

:p I stand corrected and see the monster one at:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=678

Had the Mean face because of the "electronics" quotes back at me. Sure there's the different voltage levels, but my point was that if you were not getting an accurate signal, a booster isn't going to replace the "missing" information, just boost what's picked up at a lower level.

Enjoy your setup though!

Oh yeah, I just remembered how I wanted to state it, but hadn't explained properly.

When using the "in-line amplifier", you amplify the whole signal, including the noise, so the overall signal-to-noise ratio hasn't actually changed. It can in some instances, even increase.

What I read on the in-line sites is that it's recommended for long runs of RG6 where you may have signal loss from a long run. If that's the case in your setup, then the in-line makes sense.

If the run is short, an in-line is still not going to provide a better signal-noise-ratio than the previous connection without the in-line, even though the "overall" number may increase.

If your rainfade is decreased, however, then you acheived your goal despite any increase in the noise of the line. Just curious if this could interduce more "artifacting" in the video image as the MPEG compensates for any increased noise.

Any way, I'm dropping any further responses, because I know this was all related to my ego anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)