Super Dish Question

chaz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Here is my dilemma. I live in Lansing, MI - on my house I have a Super Dish so I can get my locals. We also have a small cottage on Lake Lansing. Well I want to get my locals there too. But I can't seem to figure out what kind of Super Dish I have so that I can buy another one.

When I look up at it, I swear it only has 2 distinct LNB's. And all the ones I see for sale on ebay have three distinct LNB's.

Does anyone have a clue what I need to buy and where to get it? Thanks!

Ok, I know my locals are on 121 now. The super dishes that I saw on ebay were for 105 that must be why they looked different.

Does anyone know where I can buy a super dish that has the correct LNB's for 119 110 and 121.

Thanks guys!

easiest thing (and might be cheaper) is get a 30" dish and KU Band LNBF. You can tie that into a Dish500 if you have an extra one and get your programming and your locals. Also easier to aim the 30" than the Superdish

Iceberg - is a 30" dish significantly better to get 121 'up there'?

I ask because, as you know, the external switching to git-r-done can be a real pain.

I guess a Legacy Twin for the 500, an FSS LNBF for 121, and a SW-21 would do it - as long as he only wants one receiver. Otherwise it's an SW64. :(

SimpleSimon said:
Iceberg - is a 30" dish significantly better to get 121 'up there'?
I have a FTA system and on 121 I get a 80 quality (on a scale of 1-100). It will work :)
I ask because, as you know, the external switching to git-r-done can be a real pain.

I guess a Legacy Twin for the 500, an FSS LNBF for 121, and a SW-21 would do it - as long as he only wants one receiver. Otherwise it's an SW64. :(
it sounds like he just wants to take one receiver to his cabin. So it would be a Dish500 and a 30" with FSS LNBF tied together with a SW21.

I know when Duluth, MN was going to be on 121, I did a hillbilly superdish (SW21 attaching a Dish500 and FSS dish) and it worked fine.

chaz-what model of receiver would you be transporting?

I was going to take a 721 over there. It would be nice to be able to record and watch another channel at the same time. So I'm not sure the 2 dish solution will work because the 721 is a dual tuner box.

Current setup is a dish 500 twin LNBF, I think the switch is built into the LNBF. I do have an old dish 500 with a couple sw21's I can use for this beast.

I guess I could hook up just one tuner, but I'd like to do it right. Can I hook both turners up to that dual dish system you suggested?

P.S. - Thanks for the help guys! ;) You folks here on this forum are nice as well as helpful!!! -- It's a rare find these days! :)

chaz said:
I was going to take a 721 over there. It would be nice to be able to record and watch another channel at the same time. So I'm not sure the 2 dish solution will work because the 721 is a dual tuner box.

I guess I could hook up just one tuner, but I'd like to do it right. Can I hook both turners up to that dual dish system you suggested?

It is possible, but a little more complicated. It involves splitting the line from the FSS dish...

The only other option is not to have locals at the cabin. Then all you would need is a Dish 500

And you can NOT use the 721 with only one tuner hooked up - it'll end up going bonkers.

Iceberg: Don't dual output voltage-switchable FSS LNBFs exist? If so, Legacy Twin, Dual switched output FSS, and a pair of SW-21's will git-r-done. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Iceberg: Don't dual output voltage-switchable FSS LNBFs exist? If so, Legacy Twin, Dual switched output FSS, and a pair of SW-21's will git-r-done. ;)

yes they do. I have a dual on my FTA system.

SimpleSimon said:
And you can NOT use the 721 with only one tuner hooked up - it'll end up going bonkers.

OK, here is a .jpg of what I think you are telling me I can do. If I'm on the right track, the best thing is all I need is a FSS dish that has dual switched output that opperates like the Legacy Twin 500 LNBF's. Is this right?

If so, Iceberg, can you tell me where you got yours or point me to a website with a picture so I can make sure I'm getting the right thing?

Attachments

• Sat Setup.jpg
    Sat Setup.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 160

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts