Super Joey Install Problem

That is an excellent question, and boils down to this: does half the duo node require 1.5 amps when it's not powering the LNBs? I would guess it might be fine, but I really don't know.

I do know that the Duo Node has no issues running with one Hopper being unplugged...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I do know that the Duo Node has no issues running with one Hopper being unplugged...

That was my suggestion/observation as well, based on reports such as yours. But the expert (who was that?) claimed that one Hopper on a duo node does not power the whole node, hence the requirement for 1.5a on both host ports (assuming you are trying to use both ports). I have absolutely no idea whether that is really true or not.

That was my suggestion/observation as well, based on reports such as yours. But the expert (who was that?) claimed that one Hopper on a duo node does not power the whole node, hence the requirement for 1.5a on both host ports (assuming you are trying to use both ports). I have absolutely no idea whether that is really true or not.

I can't think of any reason why it would require power on both ports. The only power being passed would be from the H through the node and to the LNBs. The SJ wouldn't need any additional power from the Hopper. I think I read somewhere that Vivek Khemka stated that you can use the other host port of a duo node for the SJ.

I can't think of any reason why it would require power on both ports.

Which is why I was doing what I do best: speculating! I speculated that the only scenario where you might fry your SJ power supply is when the Hopper on the other host port gets unplugged for some reason. Of course the SJ is worthless anyhow, in that scenario. But we still don't want to have our SJ fry if the Hopper is offline for some reason.

Super Joeys are designed to connect to integrator not directly to nodes.

And Charles, look at it this way, you wont have to mess with all those wires and switches screwed on to that piece of plywood.
That thing is a piece of art, like Whistlers Mother.

Super Joeys are designed to connect to integrator not directly to nodes.

And Charles, look at it this way, you wont have to mess with all those wires and switches screwed on to that piece of plywood.
That thing is a piece of art, like Whistlers Mother.

LOL, good point forhorn2. That old board is my redneck headend for TV/Communication stuff. I was going to add another board so I could fit another DPP44 switch, nodes, and whatever else it took to get that there Super Hopper in my system. But, oh well, don't need to think about that anymore!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I can't think of any reason why it would require power on both ports. The only power being passed would be from the H through the node and to the LNBs. The SJ wouldn't need any additional power from the Hopper. I think I read somewhere that Vivek Khemka stated that you can use the other host port of a duo node for the SJ.

On the internal dish forums one of the folks who does all the Hopper stuff told us this:
The Super Joey is designed to work only with the solo node and its power supply would fail if it were connected to a duo node.
The Super Joey's coax connection outputs 18 volts at 750 mA and the Hopper outputs 18/26 volts at 1400 mA.
Because of this the Super Joey power supply does not have nearly enough power to properly power the duo node like a second Hopper would do.

They keep telling us that it won't work on a duo node and that it is not an approved install method (because trust me we keep asking it would be easier). I know approved/unapproved does not matter to you folks as works/not works is what matters. But he gave that quote that sounds legit to me.

They did say something was in the works to combine a solo node and integrator into one device. No idea on if that will ever happen or when.

Thanks guys! I enabled bridging and now I have internet without the wifi adapter.
This was the installers first SJ, but he should have been trained better.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm a tech and I've not installed a SJ yet but the only thing we were given was a PDF showing how it should be installed. Same goes with the information they gave us for the hoppers and joeys when they first came out. Ohh and get this, they don't pay anything MORE for the added equipment, we still will only get paid for just the task.

Training would be nice but more pay would be even better of an incentive to learn more. I hope you tipped the guy anyway.

On the internal dish forums one of the folks who does all the Hopper stuff told us this:

They keep telling us that it won't work on a duo node and that it is not an approved install method (because trust me we keep asking it would be easier). I know approved/unapproved does not matter to you folks as works/not works is what matters. But he gave that quote that sounds legit to me.

They did say something was in the works to combine a solo node and integrator into one device. No idea on if that will ever happen or when.

Probably will happen around the same time DpX LNBs arrive :p .

Have a look at the bottom of the page here: http://dishuser.org/dishpro.php. I think 3HaloODST is saying that the DishProX LNB will arrive at about the same time as the DishProX LNB arrives. :confused: This doesn't make sense to me either.

Last edited:
Have a look at the bottom of the page here: http://dishuser.org/dishpro.php. I think 3HaloODST is saying that the DishProX LNB will arrive at about the same time as the DishProX LNB arrives. :confused: This doesn't make sense to me either.

The LNBs are DPP. The nodes are what stack on the third tuner for DpX. I was making a joke about how Dish probably won't ever have a DpX LNB, thus negating the need for nodes.

Which is why I was doing what I do best: speculating! I speculated that the only scenario where you might fry your SJ power supply is when the Hopper on the other host port gets unplugged for some reason. Of course the SJ is worthless anyhow, in that scenario. But we still don't want to have our SJ fry if the Hopper is offline for some reason.
I guess I'll wait to create my dual Hopper, Super Joey installation for Dish to come out with the SuperDuperJoey which will have enough power to feed the duo node and also keep my coffee warm.

Ok wait..so there is a LNB that will only require 1 single line for multiple hoppers/SJ installs?? Why don't we have these things and if they are coming when?

hmm well then that link doesn't make much sense but the idea is perfect. They need a new LNB or node to only need 1 single line from the dish run not two or three.

Then I would suggest to you that you go and invent one and stop harping (whining) on why it is needed...... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)