Super Joey Upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.
5 fully integrated tuners with H/SJ vs 6 non integrated tuners for a 2H system. Non integrated meaning for live viewing and setting recordings from any location.

Edit: I was a little late.

The second Hopper gives you another tuner, and redundancy in case something fails. And we MIGHT see the ability to set timers on one Hopper from another Hopper by year's end. Or we might not.

I see it as a great upgrade for customers that currently have one Hopper and 2 or 3 Joeys in their setup and have a family of 3 or 4. These customers are sure to be having issues with timer conflicts and now all they'll have to do swap out a Joey with the Super Joey to add an extra 2 tuners for $3 more a month. I think it's a great deal for them.

For a customer like myself with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys I see no major benefit from it other than the integration.

I see it as a great upgrade for customers that currently have one Hopper and 2 or 3 Joeys in their setup and have a family of 3 or 4. These customers are sure to be having issues with timer conflicts and now all they'll have to do swap out a Joey with the Super Joey to add an extra 2 tuners for $3 more a month. I think it's a great deal for them.

For a customer like myself with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys I see no major benefit from it other than the integration.

Yes, exactly Scherman, thats my situation- timer conflicts. I also have a vip211k so I'll have 6 tuners also. 1 separate and private.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Super Joey Wiring.png

This is how you would wire a 4 TV house with a Hopper, Super Joey and 2 Joeys.

This is how you would wire a 4 TV house with a Hopper, Super Joey and 2 Joeys.

We were thinking swap an existing Joey for a Super - move to 1 Hopper, 1 Joey, 1 Super (believe it or not, we have timer conflicts with 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys). But I notice it says RG6 from integrator to Super Joey. I think the Joey requirement is RG59 - if we don't have any problems now, can we assume existing Joey cable will be ok for Super Joey?

It won't work via LAN only as the tuners come from the sat feed.

You may be right, but your statement does not logically follow, since the coax input probably functions just fine with a DPP switch output. In other words, I was asking whether you could substitute the LAN for the MoCA (only) connection.

Full Integration would be the big thing if you consider that an advantage (for me, it will be...for others it may not.). One single repository for timers, recordings, conflict mgmt, etc. vs. having to split things manually across two Hoppers.

forgive my ignorance, but with 2 hoppers, isn't each able to view the other's recordings via a drop down box?

We were thinking swap an existing Joey for a Super - move to 1 Hopper, 1 Joey, 1 Super (believe it or not, we have timer conflicts with 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys). But I notice it says RG6 from integrator to Super Joey. I think the Joey requirement is RG59 - if we don't have any problems now, can we assume existing Joey cable will be ok for Super Joey?

I know you can have RG59 from the Node to the Joeys but I still prefer to have RG6 run to everything in the house. Just seems to avoid more issues that way.

forgive my ignorance, but with 2 hoppers, isn't each able to view the other's recordings via a drop down box?

My four Hoppers can see each other's recordings by using the drop down box. My Joey can also see all four Hopper's recordings.

I predict that DIRT will be having a busy day tomorrow, if the 3/13 date is still accurate for it to actually be live in the Dish system. :D

But if I want to set a timer on the BR hopper while I'm in the LR I can't do it, I can't even see if the timer is already there - I can only see/watch what has been recorded. Now the Joey is a different thing, since I can switch between Hoppers & set timers on either. Just want the whole-home system to actually be whole-home, with timers available to be set/edited from anywhere which I would be able to do with a hopper/super joey system. Too bad that if I replace a hopper with a super joey I lose the $5 discount & it would cost me more than it does now - has that been confirmed, if anyone knows?

But if I want to set a timer on the BR hopper while I'm in the LR I can't do it, I can't even see if the timer is already there - I can only see/watch what has been recorded. Now the Joey is a different thing, since I can switch between Hoppers & set timers on either. Just want the whole-home system to actually be whole-home, with timers available to be set/edited from anywhere which I would be able to do with a hopper/super joey system. Too bad that if I replace a hopper with a super joey I lose the $5 discount & it would cost me more than it does now - has that been confirmed, if anyone knows?

MAYBE by year's end we will have the ability to set one Hopper's timer from another Hopper. I believe that was posted a few weeks ago. I wish I had bookmarked it.

It is too bad only one Hopper with a Super Joey allowed at this time. I would feel uncomfortable with just one Hopper. If it goes off the deep end it sure would be nice to have a second Hopper in the system.

Is that also called "soon"? Been hearing it since I got 2 Hoppers quite a while ago, just like other rumors may never happen.
To my knowledge, Dish never said anything even semi-officially on Hopper integration. Originally, at Team Summit three years ago, nearly a year before release, it was metioned as intent, but anything that far ahead of release should be ignored.

Since release the most that has been said publicly was by Khemka in Scott's CES interview in January about the possibly adding the ability ot push timers when conflicts exist, even that was non-committal on time frame. Khemka did say flat out there would never be full integration.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts