Super Joey wiring

Terminating the client part of the solo node is an error based on reviewing previously released wiring diagrams for home based systems. You need the client part of the node to run into the integrator along with the 3rd line from the LNB. The position of the integrator is all wrong,it should be 2 lines running in(from client part of node & 3rd line of LNB) & one line running out to the Super Joey. I'm very far from an expert here,but from what I've read on this site AND from looking at the diagrams already released,this is crazy.

After thinking about this,is the diagram that way because there wouldn't be a MoCA set up in an RV?

Here's a revised (3/13/2014) version:
http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/555_dish_twotvs_hopper_superjoey1.pdf

On the dns forums (for Dish techs/employees) they stated that the power supply for a SJ isn't enough for the second side of a duo node. And thus would not work.

Well that sucks. What did they save in the SJ power supply? 10 cents? :rant: Obviously we need a power inserter to make this work.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/331178-Super-Joey-Specs/page13

Go to this thread on page 13 of this thread,then go to message #76. There you can view or D/L the various wiring diagrams for the Super Joey. I imagine that you are using the Tap because you want to minimize the amount of cables running from the solo node. Take the Tap out of the picture,take the terminator off of the client part of the solo node & run the cable from there directly to the 4-way splitter & your diagram will be correct according to the diagrams I've already seen. While I don't know why a tap wouldn't work,I'd suggest that you test it out first yourself before you officially publish a diagram using a Tap. Go the "official route" first & then test with the Tap.

Does the new SJ have to plug in to a 'Host' port or a 'Client' port on a Node?

Can a SJ share a line from a 'Host' port on a Duo Node with an old Joey (using a tap)?

Thanks!
Rick

This has been posted in another thread but to make it more convenient here it is again. The one is a diagram I made myself.

Super Joey Wiring.png View attachment HopperJoeySystem_JobAid.pdf

Playing "devil's advocate," is there any reason why terminating the client port of the solo node & using a tap instead wouldn't work?
The moca and sat frequencies should all get to the right place, but the biggest issue is they want the integrator grounded to the node, which means it should be close to the node. But I have to wonder if the assumption is the node is being used as the main ground.

Whether the grounding is a "belt and suspenders safe" requirement or a "otherwise the Hopper/Node/SJ will turn to ashes after a week" requirement, we don't know (but I like being safe).

Last edited:
Well that sucks. What did they save in the SJ power supply? 10 cents? :rant: Obviously we need a power inserter to make this work.

I don't have any idea what cost they saved. Here is the statement I was referring to from the tech forums.

The Super Joey is designed to work only with the solo node and its power supply would fail if it were connected to a duo node.
The Super Joey's coax connection outputs 18 volts at 750 mA and the Hopper outputs 18/26 volts at 1400 mA.
Because of this the Super Joey power supply does not have nearly enough power to properly power the duo node like a second Hopper would do.
I don't think a power inserter would help.

The moca and sat frequencies should all get to the right place, but the biggest issue is they want the integrator grounded to the node, which means it should be close to the node. But I have to wonder if the assumption is the node is being ised as the main ground.

Whether the grounding is a "belt and suspenders safe" requirement or a "otherwise the Hopper/Node/SJ will turn to ashes after a week" requirement, we don't know (but I like being safe).

I am sure it is because of building/installation code. Not grounding won't make everything burst into flames... ;)

Also, from the tech forums:
You can use a tap and a splitter.
Here is what the rule states on this:
Only two components can be between any two Hopper Joey System receivers
Nodes, Integrators, and 75 Ohm Terminators do not count for this restriction
Minimize number of devices for installations
You can't use a tap off the integrator, but you can connect the integrator to the client side of tap to connect to moca.

Dish has also stated multiple times in all the trainings they have given us that a SJ/integrator only works with a solo node. They say it multiple times in each 5-10 minute training, so it is stressed pretty heavily.

I am sure it is because of building/installation code. Not grounding won't make everything burst into flames... ;)

I know, should use smilies more.

But for instance, my dish is grounded with a grounding block just before the feeds enter the house. The node is another 25 feet or so inside.Have to wonder if the extra ground connection would be benefical at all, or if it's a "let's just have one way to do it" mentality.

I know, should use smilies more.

But for instance, my dish is grounded with a grounding block just before the feeds enter the house. The node is another 25 feet or so inside.Have to wonder if the extra ground connection would be benefical at all, or if it's a "let's just have one way to do it" mentality.

I am sure in that situation if you added a third line and another ground block by the other one and bonded them it would be up to code. When running 3 lines for 3 VIP receivers it's what we're supposed to do.

The moca and sat frequencies should all get to the right place, but the biggest issue is they want the integrator grounded to the node, which means it should be close to the node. But I have to wonder if the assumption is the node is being used as the main ground.

They want the integrator bonded to the node rather than its independant ground location as to prevent a ground loop situation.

If the integrator cannot be installed near the node then a ground block must be bonded to the node.

This is assuming the node is grounded. If it is not. There is no point in bonding anything.

Wow! I knew this would be an interesting thread...

The reason for the OP is that I originally had two Hoppers and one Joey. The third TV wasn't getting used much so I returned one of the Hoppers. We really didn't need the additional tuners. This means I have a Duo Node on the side of the house, and three lines to the dish.

If I decide to add a SJ, it looks like I need to replace the Duo node with a Solo node, and add an integrator. Does the SJ come with an integrator?

I can see this being an issue for anyone who thinks they can replace a second Hopper with a SJ.

Wow! I knew this would be an interesting thread...

The reason for the OP is that I originally had two Hoppers and one Joey. The third TV wasn't getting used much so I returned one of the Hoppers. We really didn't need the additional tuners. This means I have a Duo Node on the side of the house, and three lines to the dish.

If I decide to add a SJ, it looks like I need to replace the Duo node with a Solo node, and add an integrator. Does the SJ come with an integrator?

I can see this being an issue for anyone who thinks they can replace a second Hopper with a SJ.

The Integrator is included with the Super Joey.

OK,here is a possible "unsupported" wiring set-up scenario for 2 Hoppers,1 or 2 Super Joey's,& a duo node ready to be shot down,since we know that the Super Joey needs a third line from the LNB to run through the integrator,but the duo node also needs all 3 lines from the LNB connected to it,why wouldn't "theoretically" placing a 2-way splitter(3-way if you are going with 2 Super Joeys) on the 3rd line to run 1 line to the integrator & the other line to the duo node(with a 3-way splitter,run a line to each integrator & to the duo node) not work? Because you know that there is going to be one brave,adventurous soul out there who is going to try.

OK,here is a possible "unsupported" wiring set-up scenario for 2 Hoppers,1 or 2 Super Joey's,& a duo node ready to be shot down,since we know that the Super Joey needs a third line from the LNB to run through the integrator,but the duo node also needs all 3 lines from the LNB connected to it,why wouldn't "theoretically" placing a 2-way splitter(3-way if you are going with 2 Super Joeys) on the 3rd line to run 1 line to the integrator & the other line to the duo node(with a 3-way splitter,run a line to each integrator & to the duo node) not work? Because you know that there is going to be one brave,adventurous soul out there who is going to try.
Or a DPP Separator in place of 2-way/3-way splitter,but would then only allow you to be able to set up only 1 Super Joey.

The reason for the OP is that I originally had two Hoppers and one Joey. The third TV wasn't getting used much so I returned one of the Hoppers... This means I have a Duo Node on the side of the house, and three lines to the dish.

Ah so! The duo node can be powered by a single Hopper. I'm pretty sure you could get away with a SJ on the host port until the Hopper loses power while the SJ does not. I'll bet a power-blocking filter would be all you need in the line to hook the SJ on your second host port. <-- speculation

Ah so! The duo node can be powered by a single Hopper. I'm pretty sure you could get away with a SJ on the host port until the Hopper loses power while the SJ does not. I'll bet a power-blocking filter would be all you need in the line to hook the SJ on your second host port. <-- speculation

Actually, if there's only one Hopper only one half of the duo node is powered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts