Super Joey

If those of us with 2 previous hoppers are getting an 18 month $5 discount (as I've had confirmed by Dirt) which would go away if we change our equipment setup (not confirmed yet), there's really no advantage to "upgrade" to a 2 tuner SuperJoey which would actually cost more money for less. Maybe I'll reconsider at the end of the discount - which for me is the end of my latest contract, & by then who knows what will be available? Would love to see integration between hoppers, but it's not a deal breaker to me right now.

I think the implication was there, at least it was for me.......that's why I ask the original question about PIP. Regardless from what others are reporting the Super Joey may turn out to be not so super......? What do you think?

It will have a higher price $10.00 a month than a regular joey $7.00 a month ,which I am sure will be "Super" for DISH's bottom line.;)

Yet every box they come out with has it's own software maintenance load. No doubt accelerating the retirement of the antiques.

Ah... There is already no maintenance load on the antiques. In fact I can't even remember the last time I saw an update on my VIP receivers. If Dish really wanted to eliminate MPEG2 ASAP, they would not have eliminated HDFFL.

Really not much reason to update the ViP722 series. They're not going to add new features, and I don't recall any bugs in mine. But they still need to keep people proficient on that code base, until the last few "go away."

Kinda like how we in the Navy had a few LASS programmers, when everything in that department shifted over to COBOL.

The main issue with the 722k is the IP-VoD could use some work, but so could Hopper's.

I think it's funny how people are talking like the 722 is going away any day now, when people still have 2700s, 301s, 522s, 322s, 311s, all over the place. Those things are absolutely ancient. Particularly the former two.

Really not much reason to update the ViP722 series. They're not going to add new features, and I don't recall any bugs in mine. But they still need to keep people proficient on that code base, until the last few "go away."
:p

Lots of gotchas with the SJ. The only real claim-to-fame is the tuner integration with a Hopper. No stand-alone capability, no 3rd tuner, no bluetooth, no EHD, no OTA adapter... Have I forgotten anything? I am really disappointed since the SJ apparently has the Hopper chipset. What a waste of a good chipset!

Again, it's the legacy MOCA. They don't have the bandwidth for that extra tuner (limited to a total of 5--like DTV Genie--with Hopper/SJ) nor can the legacy MOCA handle an additional Hopper on the same network with Hopper and SJ, at least that is what was stated on the video. I hope I got it right, but do correct me if wrong. Sure would've liked to have heard that future Hoppers/Joeys would support "gigabit" MOCA, but Dish might think it too expensive per box, but it would sure open possibilities. I think the current Hopper chips can handle like around 15 HD streams? It's all about the MOCA/bandwidth. MOCA 2.0 finalized at least 2 years ago, me thinks? BTW, the new TiVo Roamio Plus and Pro support Gigabit Ethernet, but Roamio (basic) still 10/100.

Hopper/SJ is really a solution for some households for whom 5 shared tuners is sufficient and is a way to get more tuners into a home without the expensive upgrade to a 2nd Hopper. This keeps them competitive with DirecTV's Genie solution as some people prefer Genie's 5 shared tuners solution.

Last edited:
Again, it's the legacy MOCA. They don't have the bandwidth for that extra tuner (limited to a total of 5--like DTV Genie--with Hopper/SJ) nor can the legacy MOCA handle an additional Hopper on the same network with Hopper and SJ, at least that is what was stated on the video. I hope I got it right, but do correct me if wrong. Sure would've liked to have heard that future Hoppers/Joeys would support "gigabit" MOCA, but Dish might think it too expensive per box, but it would sure open possibilities. I think the current Hopper chips can handle like around 15 HD streams? It's all about the MOCA/bandwidth. MOCA 2.0 finalized at least 2 years ago, me thinks? BTW, the new TiVo Roamio Plus and Pro support Gigabit Ethernet, but Roamio (basic) still 10/100.
That only explains not having the 3rd tuner. Not the bluetooth, PIP, EHD, OTA (well, maybe the OTA, since the OTA signal would have to travel via MOCA back to the Hopper for recording).

That only explains not having the 3rd tuner. Not the bluetooth, PIP, EHD, OTA (well, maybe the OTA, since the OTA signal would have to travel via MOCA back to the Hopper for recording).

You are correct sir. The other missing features you've listed are, I believe, to keep the cost of making the box down so that it is an economical way to get households more tuners with less cost than a Hopper. I know of some households would have GLADLY taken Hopper/SJ but settled for ONE Hopper w/regular Joeys. They did not want to pay the big extra $$ for a 2nd Hopper when such a 2nd device would NOT be shared single DVR experience (as Hopper/SJ would), as well as seeming like "overkill" when all they really wanted was at least ONE more tuner (3 never seemed quite right to them, but 4 or 5, YES) that all could access. I really think a lot of households will love the Hopper/SJ systems as just right for them with a SINGLE DVR easily shared and look at the small savings per month of the SJ as appealing and appreciated. Now, some households are better off with a 2 Hopper system, mostly about getting the kids (teens, really) their own DVR so that mom and dad can use theirs in PEACE. Remember, we here on this forum are Power Users, the beloved masses are NOT :).

Last edited:
A big chunk of the cost of a Hopper is the HDD...since the chipset is already in the SJ, I don't see how eliminating bluetooth, PIP and EHD functionality would save much money.

A big chunk of the cost of a Hopper is the HDD...since the chipset is already in the SJ, I don't see how eliminating bluetooth, PIP and EHD functionality would save much money.
PIP would have to come from the Hopper since everything is processed there. Is there enough bandwidth to send two tuner streams to the Hopper and then two back for PIP? Additionally, since it's one integrated system, an EHD on the Hopper should be visible on the Super Joey, so why would one on a Joey be desirable? Again it would be the Hopper accessing the SJ EHD and then sending it back to the SJ. Seems like this could also cause a bandwidth issue.

Forgot about the HDD and it replacement costs. Thanks. Keep in mind parts and licensing fees for such missing tech may amount to only a few dollars per box, but then you have to scale that up to MILLIONS (eventually tens of millions) of boxes. The extra tech is missing from SJ because the economies just don't work for Dish who obviously feel such extra tech won't be missed too much at the Super Joey. Again, we are the minority Power Users.

SJ is just for those that want a 5-tuner Hopper, simple as that. Neither Dish's Joeys nor DirecTV's Genie clients have PiP.

PIP would have to come from the Hopper since everything is processed there. Is there enough bandwidth to send two tuner streams to the Hopper and then two back for PIP? Additionally, since it's one integrated system, an EHD on the Hopper should be visible on the Super Joey, so why would one on a Joey be desirable? Again it would be the Hopper accessing the SJ EHD and then sending it back to the SJ. Seems like this could also cause a bandwidth issue.

Well, SOMETIMES there may be and other time not, depending upon the demands upon the Hopper at the same time. In other words, I believe the decision to NOT provide PIP to Joeys was because it would not be available because too many streams on the MOCA, and this would lead to a frustrating, negative experience from the customer. A PIP feature that isn't related to tuner count as at the Hopper, one would have to tell Peter Brady to CEASE playing back his recording so you can have PIP. PIP at the Joey would be too inconsistent to the point of complaints and Dish probably favored the idea of a 4th stream for playback so that 4th person could watch their recordings when NO tuners were available for their own live viewing. That means PIP had to be sacrificed for a CONSISTENT and expected limitation. If people know straight out that no PIP at Joeys, we have no expectations and accept it. Providing PIP at Joey "half-baked" (or any feature) with unpredictable and annoying reliability just makes customers complain and think less of the service. In other words, "No Coke; Pepsi." Well, with that up front, we deal and accept it, and what follows is an otherwise positive experience, while providing Coke at unpredictable hours and moments of the day would drive us bonkers. "Then don't even bother offering Coke if I can't come in and get it reliably; at least I know what to expect."

I'm curious how many Dish customers actually care at all about PiP. I like the feature but rarely use it and I can't remember having a customer come in asking about PiP. Most the average person PiP is a thing of the past since TVs stopped offering it.

I'm curious how many Dish customers actually care at all about PiP. I like the feature but rarely use it and I can't remember having a customer come in asking about PiP. Most the average person PiP is a thing of the past since TVs stopped offering it.
I use it all the time. Usually a game on one side and a tv show with audio on another. Sometimes with two games side by side. I do wish I could set side by side as the default view as that's the only way I use it.
Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)