Cheapest Options

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have some questions so please correct any parts where I am wrong.

I'm looking to cut costs so, I downgraded from AT 120 to the Welcome Pack the other day.

Is the Welcome Pack ($19.99) the cheapest active channel package that Dish Network offers?

I also have some questions about Dish Pause.

I googled it and from what I understand, it's $5 a month, you can use it as many times as you want but only for 6 out of every 12 months. Is that right?

Just as an example, could I do this?

Months 1 through 3: Dish Pause
Months 4 through 6: Activated service with Welcome Pack
Months 7 through 9: Dish Pause
Months 10 through 12: Activated service with Welcome Pack

Also I'm currently paying a $7 a month for a DVR Fee (722K) and $7 a month for the Dish Home Protection Plan.

If I went on Dish Pause, is it just $5 plus tax per month? Or is it $5 plus $7 (DVR Fee) plus $7 (DHPP) plus tax per month?

I have some questions so please correct any parts where I am wrong. I'm looking to cut costs so, I downgraded from AT 120 to the Welcome Pack the other day. Is the Welcome Pack ($19.99) the cheapest active channel package that Dish Network offers? I also have some questions about Dish Pause. I googled it and from what I understand, it's $5 a month, you can use it as many times as you want but only for 6 out of every 12 months. Is that right? Just as an example, could I do this? Months 1 through 3: Dish Pause Months 4 through 6: Activated service with Welcome Pack Months 7 through 9: Dish Pause Months 10 through 12: Activated service with Welcome Pack Also I'm currently paying a $7 a month for a DVR Fee (722K) and $7 a month for the Dish Home Protection Plan. If I went on Dish Pause, is it just $5 plus tax per month? Or is it $5 plus $7 (DVR Fee) plus $7 (DHPP) plus tax per month?

It's should only be $5 plus tax I believe.

You can save even more by getting a 211K instead of the 722K. No Dvr fee. (Then add an EHD to make one, still no Dvr fee.) And yes the Welcome pack is the lowest DISH has, I believe lower than anyone else maybe even the lifeline that cable has.

You can save even more by getting a 211K instead of the 722K. No Dvr fee. (Then add an EHD to make one, still no Dvr fee.) And yes the Welcome pack is the lowest DISH has, I believe lower than anyone else maybe even the lifeline that cable has.

but you're going to have to pay a one time $40 fee to add that EHD making a DVR on a 211....

The tittle is the cheapest options, not the options with two tuners. Buying an EHD and the one time $40 can easily be less than $10 every month, in fact could be less in just 10 months or so. My suggestion is the cheapest option.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't realize I wouldn't have to pay a DVR fee with the 211K + EHD.

Question though. I already have an External Hard Drive. 211K and 722K are from different Dish receiver families, so I would lose all recordings on my EHD if I went this route right?

Because I would have to format it to get it to work with the 211K, correct?

Garys answer is correct, BUT - if you keep those recordings, use a different EHD, remain a subscriber, should you get another VIP or Hopper receiver on your account you would be able to again watch those recordings. Of course if you use the current EHD the trade off is losing the recordings, but saving money more quickly by only paying the $40 one time fee. You would be saving that $10 DVR after four months instead of something like 10 months if you buy another EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts