Super Joey

I use it all the time. Usually a game on one side and a tv show with audio on another. Sometimes with two games side by side. I do wish I could set side by side as the default view as that's the only way I use it.
Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It is great for that purpose but I rarely do it. I love it during March Madness. I had the living room TV on PiP with 2 games and the bar TV on with another game. I can watch all from couch and it's awesome.

I use it all the time. Usually a game on one side and a tv show with audio on another. Sometimes with two games side by side. I do wish I could set side by side as the default view as that's the only way I use it.

I'm curious how many Dish customers actually care at all about PiP. I like the feature but rarely use it and I can't remember having a customer come in asking about PiP. Most the average person PiP is a thing of the past since TVs stopped offering it.

I can count on two hands the customers that asked about it that I have installed in the last couple years. Most people don't care. Which is probably why dish didn't feel it was worth messing with on a SJ.

It is great for that purpose but I rarely do it. I love it during March Madness. I had the living room TV on PiP with 2 games and the bar TV on with another game. I can watch all from couch and it's awesome.

Come to think of it, I wish there was a way to swap audio sources without swapping pictures.

One thing that should be fixed with Hopper PiP is on my 722k I have the ability to change the PiP channel without actually swapping. It's done by pressing BROWSE (right arrow) during Live TV, select a channel via the browser, then hit the PIP button.

That's one thing that's nice about Hopper in comparison to Genie, I can have a Hopper at four locations and they all have PiP. Genie can't do that!

I understand it is hard for some people on the forum to read all the posts, because their time is so special.

If you have been reading all the posts, you would have read that the SJ is not a crippled Hopper. It is a Joey chassis and a dual tuner chassis put into a common case with an internal power supply instead of using a brick.

With that is mind, why would you expect this packaging project have all of the features of a Hopper?

With that is mind, why would you expect this packaging project have all of the features of a Hopper?

Because it has the Hopper chipset!

Let's at least give it bluetooth. You can't make a bandwidth argument for the absense of that Hopper-only feature.

Actually it has a slightly different chipset than the Hopper.

It's pretty obvious why SJ is the way it is. It costs less.

I can count on two hands the customers that asked about it that I have installed in the last couple years. Most people don't care. Which is probably why dish didn't feel it was worth messing with on a SJ.

It must be because they don't really know it or use it. Once I started using the swap in conjunction with the PIP I got addicted FAST! Now I use swap and PIP almost everytime I watch live TV, whether at my family room HWS or in my MB HWS. Absolutely love that feature. Another reason why I will be keeping my 2 HWS setup instead of downgrading one to SJ.

I understand people here use PiP often. But the majority of customers do not, why would Dish go to much trouble to get something working on a new project when most (guessing 99.5% or more) customers don't care?

I understand people here use PiP often. But the majority of customers do not, why would Dish go to much trouble to get something working on a new project when most (guessing 99.5% or more) customers don't care?

Bingo. If I tried telling a customer how they could use the PiP feature they would tell me to stop because they are already overwhelmed by the other features the Hopper has. Most people just want to be able to watch and record TV. You'd be surprised how hard it is just to educate people on how to use the DVR.

We are not your average Dish customer and like to push our equipment to the limit. One of the reasons I love hanging out on here. ;)

......why would Dish go to much trouble to get something working on a new project when most (guessing 99.5% or more) customers don't care?

How much do they make off that .5%?

How much do they make off that .5%?
I don't know, but...
1. How much do they lose by not including it?
2. And how much does it cost them to "fix" the issue for the other 99.5% that can't figure it out and call in when they mess it up (either sending a tech or using up time for the CSR's that would be spent elsewhere)? I know it's not the same thing, but you'd be surprised at the number of times we have to go change an input on a TV.

All I was pointing out was that the users here are typically more knowledgeable and want the equipment to do things that the masses don't care about, and it may not be cost effective for Dish to prioritize some of the things power users want.

I think the vast majority of customers did not even now they had PIP, and I think that is why it is explained in the new videos AND the PIP banner was developed--that power users hate--so that PIP would be easier for the masses to use. You'd be amazed at how many people seem to resist a feature, but once it is easy enough to use, they use it all the time. My brother was anti-PIP, until he discovered it was much faster to swap between 2 sports games then use the slow RECALL button. Now he is a big-time PIP user. Among the biggest complaints on this forum over the years has been that Dish does a terrible job of communicating to subs all the features that they could use, making the product and even more positive experience. Finally, with Joe as CEO, Dish is doing a much better job of letting customers know what features are part of their systems. However, I think messages like TiVo sends would be even more effective, but even the new method of having a pop-up message whenever a new software update occurs listing changes or new features is sure going a lot further than Dish has in the past. I think if Dish can communicate all the features well, each person will focus on the ones they feel they would really use, but they can't if they don't know they exist.

Further I think Vivek's remark at "not being a fan" of the current remotes is (I was surprised at Scott's reaction of seeming disagreement) is spot on. Consider the Roku remote. Utter intuitive and easy and fast even to perform virtual typing for searches and all this with just a few buttons on the remote: it just screams MODERN/TODAY and SIMPLICITY. However, Dish has the challenge of legacy users who do NOT like change. It would still be nice if Dish could aim for a Roku type remote, but the future holds smartphones and tablets as your remote (that could still be far more simple than having all those "millions" of buttons) and even gesture control that will have become more common in the future. The beauty of an app is that all the old Luddites could still use last century's hand held million button remote tech, while letting the rest of us move into the new era, with greater simplicity and power. Essentially the "glass cockpit" of remotes Go Vivek!

Last edited:
One thing that should be fixed with Hopper PiP is on my 722k I have the ability to change the PiP channel without actually swapping. It's done by pressing BROWSE (right arrow) during Live TV, select a channel via the browser, then hit the PIP button.

AMEN! That is the first (of a few) disappointing thing I discovered about the Hopper. It really is a PITA to have to swap first, then tune. Yes, I was spoiled by the ViP's.

AMEN! That is the first (of a few) disappointing thing I discovered about the Hopper. It really is a PITA to have to swap first, then tune. Yes, I was spoiled by the ViP's.
Sorry, but I just have to chuckle at that. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts