Super Stupid Newbie Questions on DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr_rua

Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Just joined, so HI everybody!

I just moved into a brand new house with a brand new Akai PDP-4294 (plasma) display (yes I know, not the best plasma display, but it was a gift from my dad).

I looked at the rates for Comcast cable and thought it was a little ridicolous. In addition I don't want to use cable for my plasma display (did this before and the pic quality was disgusting).

So I was thinking about getting DirecTv with the HD tuner (maybe Samsung?), but am a little confused. I also see that DirecTv also sells a HD ready dish (in a bundle with the HD tuner). Do I have to buy the HD ready dish in order for the HD tuner to work? I was thinking no, but could not find a definitive answer. I thought you could get the normal round dish or triple LNB dish and use the HD receiver to upconvert the signal going into the TV/display.

Please take it easy on me guys. I know very little about satellite systems and HD technology.

Thanks!

Every one has to start someplace : ) Welcome to the forum, yes you need a "Phase III" type dish for the HD channels, also it brings you a couple of extra free channels, and you will be future proofed for any changes in the near future, also some areas require the Phase III for their local channels, I love the Phase III dish, it really is a great dish and well worth the extra $ good luck!

Thanks PSB for the answers!

I have a few more questions, some for clarification.

- When you say Phase III dish, you mean triple (hence the III) LNB right?
- Is there a such thing as a HD dish, meaning are there two seperate dishes such as a HD dish and a phase III dish?
- So by buying a phase III dish I can pick up HD content?
- Since I am just moving into my first new house and money is a little tight. I was going to try to save a few dollars by just getting the n-number of rooms deal with the Phase III (a.k.a. triple LNB) dish with DirecTV for an additional $29.99. Then later on buying a HD tuner/receiver off of e-bay for a little cheaper (DirecTV is asking for $299.99 for a HD ready system; basically the cost of a brand new HD tuner/receiver). Is this feasible? To clairfy, does the standard DirecTV receiver have an output that I can send a signal to a HD tuner/receiver? Or do I have to buy the DirecTV HD tuner/receiver? Or am I just a total idiot and have my apples mixed up with my oranges?

Other Options

Hi, I'm new to the forum as well, but I did research for awhile on this site to help make a decission. I found that Dishnetwork is running a promotion now where they will LOAN you (at no cost to you) an 811 rcvr which will rcv and display HD content. I just had it set up, and I love it!

Best part is it's all FREE!!!

Check out DishNetwork's web site for there current deals.

I also opted for a DVR (522) Tivo type device, also at no charge:)

vsvier said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well, but I did research for awhile on this site to help make a decission. I found that Dishnetwork is running a promotion now where they will LOAN you (at no cost to you) an 811 rcvr which will rcv and display HD content. I just had it set up, and I love it!

Not to knock Dish, but I had the exact same deal that you had and was sorely disappointed. The 522 is barely a TiVo. There are no name-based recordings, and I lost about 10% of my recordings... it says it recorded them, but hrm... not there.

The 811 receiver has problems of it's own. Check out the Dish DVR forums for some info on that.

Casey

I just had the system installed a week ago, and so far the only problem with the 522 dvr is the guide is not always accurate, but I have spoken with people on direct, and they have the same problem. As of yet I have not had a problem recording , or loosing recordings. Have you spoken with dish tech? I would be intrested to hear what they say.

As for the 811 issues, I have noticed that the picture is dark on standard def. But I, like the rest of the 811 owners, am optomistic that the new patch will address this.

Scott

vsvier said:

well that too bad for you. you fell for the Dish promo. the 522 doesn't even come close to a Tivo, it is a digital VCR at most. the 811 is one of the most probematic HD receivers ever made and doesn't come close to what Voom and DirecTV offer in terms of HD receivers. why do you think they are giving this stuff away for free at install? and its not free, you pay a rental cost on it, just like cable. Dish has the worst HD line-up along with it, and have no plan's in the forseeable future to add more HD content. DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, along with adding local channels in HD to the top 30 markets by mid to late 2005. Dish has no plan's for locals in HD.

vsvier said:

Read your contract you lease the equipment for $5.00 per receiver per month from DISH if you need service it is $99 for a service call unless you pay $5.99/Mo for the DHPP service plan, even cable gives you free service with their rental. AS P.T.Barnum is supposed to have said "a fool and his money"etc. And why are you posting DISH in a Directv forum?

Wow, you guys are tough!

"the 522 doesn't even come close to a Tivo, it is a digital VCR at most"

I felt i should add the TIVO reference because the gentleman stated he was a newbie, and most non-techies as myself (right or wrong) understand the reference to TIVO as to what a DVR is.

"and its not free, you pay a rental cost on it"

I pay $5.00 /mnth for the second rcv, much the same as direct i believe.

"Dish has the worst HD line-up along with it,"

I believe, as of today, dish, and direct offer the same HD content. And its cheaper!

"have no plan's in the forseeable future to add more HD content. DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, along with adding local channels in HD to the top 30 markets by mid to late 2005."

It sounds like you believe the direct bs line of more hd content as much as i believe the dishnetwork bs.

"why are you posting DISH in a Directv forum?"

My orig post was in response to someone who wanted alternatives to high cost equipment (I dont have $300.00 to fork over for hd rcvr either) and that orig post was on a GENERAL SAT forum.

Sorry for the misleading info mr_rua. I should learn to keep my mouth shut!

Scott

Signal Cut Out from Wind

I have had problems the last 4 days with gusty winds cutting out my DirectTV signal. I looked at the dish and could see if moving in the wind. Are there any stabilizer products available to minimize the movement?

Your dish should not move at all.If your dish is moving in the wind you need to get the installer back out there to tighten it up or remount it to a more stable base.

Well, Directv's programming is cheaper, channel for channel for the price than DISH. The PQ is much better IMHO. The DTivo is FAR BETTER than the 5xx DVRs. I love the name based recording and the dual recording feature. You can't even get that with the 522 yet. My wife loves the customer service a lot better and the installers are nicer and more courteous.

I normally don't jump in to defend E*, but I feel the need to rebut a couple of your statements.
mini1 said:
the 811 is one of the most probematic HD receivers ever made and doesn't come close to what Voom and DirecTV offer in terms of HD receivers.
Have you actually used a VOOM receiver? Visit the VOOM forum and you'll see why I ask that question.
mini1 said:
Dish has the worst HD line-up along with it, and have no plan's in the forseeable future to add more HD content. DirecTV will have 15-20 HD channels by year end, along with adding local channels in HD to the top 30 markets by mid to late 2005. Dish has no plan's for locals in HD.
Can't be any worse than the D* HD channel lineup, considering that they both carry the same exact channels. And again, I don't see how D* has potential for more HD as they're more bandwidth-strapped than E* is even with D7S launched and beaming.

Sorry to cause chaos with the post. Didn't mean to create any type of argument/animosty between anyone. I was just trying to seek information to make an informed decision as what to purchase. Such as HD, not HD, D* or E*.

Been reading a lot on the various forums. I had initially purchased the E* HD package with the 811 and additional 2 rooms supplied by one receiver. After reading through the various E* and 811 threads, I got scared off by all the problems; I just cancelled my order today (05/13/04). After that I just took the dive and ordered the 3 room w/ D* HD receiver (1 receiver). I'm not trying to say that the E* 811 receiver is the only HD receiver with a lot of bugs. So please don't jump on me for that. I'm pretty sure every HD receiver has their draw backs, it's just what I read over in the E* forums that really scared me.

So the end of it all is I will have D* HD by 1pm on 05/22/2004, yeah! I hope you guys don't mind me blasting away with questions once I get everything installed. :no

Bring em on! You will find that D*'s stuff is very stable. I had E*'s 510 and the 811. The 811 was buggy as hell. I couldn't even watch HD stuff when it first came out unless I stretched the picture on the TV. They fixed that supposedly. You couldn't even set it for 4:3 at first, though my TV was 16:9.

E* has a lot of problems. Their 921 isn't as promised, the firewire is disabled and will always be disabled though they advertised it as working.

The HD receivers I've heard are awesome and the HD-DTivo is very excellent from the reviews I've read.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)