SuperBowl, OTA

ericl

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 25, 2005
I have an outside antenna (the voom upgrade, don’t know the name or type but it's not the one mounted on the dish, and it is set on a 20' piece of conduit)

My Sony Grand WEGA has a built in tuner connected directly to the OTA which is pointed toward the most towers at 254 deg. and is 10.7 miles away.

The digital Fox station is 55 deg. located 15.8 miles away. Do I simply turn the antenna some 190 degs. To catch Fox.

I have heard of the preamps or boosters to increase the signal. If I need to can I simply install this on the cable from the antenna prior to going into the T.V.

This is just for the superbowl as I get Fox via cable, and the OTA is pointed toward CBS, ABC and NBC.

Voom does not provide me with locals here.

Thanks sorry for the length.

I'm sure someone with more knowlege than I will chime in, but until then...
I would at least try just turning the antenna toward the Fox tower before I worry about the amplifiers and such. Might be that's all you need to do. Give it a shot. Soon. Give yourself time to go get whatever you need if it doesn't work (if it doesn't work, come back here and ask what you need -- I'm sure someone can let you know). Good luck.

P.S. Have I somehow wandered into the Help Desk forum?

ericl said:
I have an outside antenna (the voom upgrade, don’t know the name or type but it's not the one mounted on the dish, and it is set on a 20' piece of conduit)

My Sony Grand WEGA has a built in tuner connected directly to the OTA which is pointed toward the most towers at 254 deg. and is 10.7 miles away.

The digital Fox station is 55 deg. located 15.8 miles away. Do I simply turn the antenna some 190 degs. To catch Fox.

I have heard of the preamps or boosters to increase the signal. If I need to can I simply install this on the cable from the antenna prior to going into the T.V.

This is just for the superbowl as I get Fox via cable, and the OTA is pointed toward CBS, ABC and NBC.

Voom does not provide me with locals here.

Thanks sorry for the length.

I have a Sony with the built in tuner too. In my pre VOOM days, I had the TV do a scan for digital broadcasts. It found 31 digital stations. My 75 Ohm antenna is the original mount on top of my house and is pointing in the direction of the broadcast towers in San Francisco more than 40 miles away. I would think that you should be able to pick up FOX on Sunday by running a line directly to your coax input on the back of your TV and finding the scan option in the on screen menu without having to turn your ant. The VOOM receiver is great because when you scan for channels, it tells you the signal strength but as you said, VOOM does not provide your locals. Give it a try.

You might have to turn the antenna to get Fox. As for the amplifier, you are correct. I placed mine on the cable between the antenna and the receiver when I had Voom. I was using the Stealth and my installer did not leave an amplifier. I went to Fry's and bought one and it worked great. In your case it would be between the anntena and TV. Good luck.

I am in the same boat, up in Seattle the Fox tower is opposite the rest of the towers. I can't tune in Fox even with my antennae pointed the other way. Can someone recommend an amplifier to purchase that might help boost signal?

My configuration has the OTA and Voom dish cables going into a Di-Plexer before going into the Voom reciever.

Any ideas?

-Terry

you guys are great, I know this must be extremely simple for you guys here. but let me say thank you for the less educated digital consumers. Regarding the amplifier, I can remove the cable out of the tv, run the cable into the inlet of the amplifier, and then run a short cable from the output of the amplifier then back into the televison?

You could use a cheapo Rat Shack indoor antenna for towers that close, then you don't have to much around with your outdoor antenna. That or purchase an antenna rotor.

Thanks Darrell, I tried an indoor antenna, RCA HD with preamp and Zenith
silver sensor, I live in an area heavily wooded, so the results were poor. I already have the outdoor antenna installed. I am just not sure where if needed I need to install the amplifier, outside at the antenna or inside next to the tv.

ericl said:
Thanks Darrell, I tried an indoor antenna, RCA HD with preamp and Zenith
silver sensor, I live in an area heavily wooded, so the results were poor. I already have the outdoor antenna installed. I am just not sure where if needed I need to install the amplifier, outside at the antenna or inside next to the tv.

Ericl,
I am sure you will have to put the amp inside between the antenna and the receiver cause you will a power source.

thanks tyork, makes sense but it appeared that some systems had a preamp between antenna and the cable. catching fox is the job for tomorrow

ericl said:
thanks tyork, makes sense but it appeared that some systems had a preamp between antenna and the cable. catching fox is the job for tomorrow

Yeah there are some like that but if you going to buy one i would get one with power of the inside there not that big .i install on today it worked great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)