superdish 121 pole mount

dodge said:
What does anyone use to mount a 121 superdish on a pole out in the yard, I cant seem to find the right size pole 2 inch ridgid conduit too big and 1.5 inch is too small?? :confused: :confused:

we are using 6'X 2" OD galavanized chain link fence post poles for the type 1(metal) SD..No problems..They fit fine..DO NOT USE ELECT. CONDUIT...It's 2"ID...

Van said:
If worse comes to worse use a 6x6x8 treated posted, you can bolt the standard mast to it after you have cemented the post in the ground. Treat the post with deck sealer to minimize warping from moisture.

DisNet says using a wooden post is a violation of their install specs...that is unless the customer insists on you using it..They must sign off.....And a as lng as that was done DN Qc will let it go....Be clear in your documentation

Hi,

Just wondering how high up you can put a superdish on a 2" pole off the ground? I have trouble spot and would like to put one on a pole to get up over some trees.

Plus any ideas to how to put it on a pole and mount to a chimeny?
trying to get a local installer to come by my house when i'm here is another story. They show up when not here and say I have to cut done some trees.

Thanks,

BigJohn2

Last edited:
BigJohn
I have a caculator on the ratio of pole thickness to hieght. This may not help you much but if you put it on a pole the hieght of 29' will require a 8' - 5\8" O.D. Schedule 40. with a mast reducer at the top. A 44' will require a 10' 3/4" O.D. Schedule 40.

You easiest way may be to just mount it to the cheminy, "although many techs will not recomined it" with some anchors you can get at lowes.

Hope that helps.

BigJohn
I have a calculator on the ratio of pole thickness to height. This may not help you much but if you put it on a pole the height of 29' will require a 8' - 58" O.D. Schedule 40. with a mast reducer at the top. A 44' will require a 10' 3/4" O.D. Schedule 40.

You easiest way may be to just mount it to the chimney, "although many techs will not recommend it" with some anchors you can get at Lowe's.

Hope that helps.

Tate Satellites said:
BigJohn
I have a calculator on the ratio of pole thickness to height. This may not help you much but if you put it on a pole the height of 29' will require a 8' - 58" O.D. Schedule 40. with a mast reducer at the top. A 44' will require a 10' 3/4" O.D. Schedule 40.
You easiest way may be to just mount it to the chimney, "although many techs will not recommend it" with some anchors you can get at Lowe's.
Hope that helps.

How high could I go off the chimney with the right anchors and stuff?

Thanks,

BigJohn2

BigJohn2 said:
How high could I go off the chimney with the right anchors and stuff?
Thanks,
BigJohn2

It depends on how big your chimney is. You will have to consider the weight of the dish and the mounting equipment. You can probably get your local steel shop to fabricate you a unit mounting. See attachment

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    101.9 KB · Views: 145
Tate Satellites said:
It depends on how big your chimney is. You will have to consider the weight of the dish and the mounting equipment. You can probably get your local steel shop to fabricate you a unit mounting. See attachment

Hmmm, it is about 5 or 6 feet tall, not for sure how wide it is. I will have to see if I can get out on the roof tomorrow and measure it.

Thanks,

BigJohn2

Last edited:
Dave nye said:
As far as I know Dish does not allow chimney mounts any longer.

How about a mount into the cement on the top of the chimney - as aposed to the stainless strap mount. That's the way they put my 61.5 dish up.

Tate Satellites said:
That is what I was saying earlier. But thats what he may have to do to get the system. It will be fine if he does it right.

That's perfectly fine...until a service call occurs. The chance of another installer coming up to the jobsite and seeing it mounted to a chimney is a good one. Worse...he won't touch it due to the current policy of "you touched it...you own it"

Speaking of chimney mounts, does anyone actually have a specific reason(s) why they're not allowed?

Tate Satellites said:

Hi,

I went out and measured the chimney. It is 39 in tall by 33 in long and 25 in wide.

Thanks,

BigJohn2

Hi all,

I having a local retailer coming out tomorrow and see were I could but a superdish or D* tomorrow at 10:30 am. So I will let you all know how it gos.
I just hope they show up when they say they will.

I wish I didn't have so many trees in my area.

Later,

BigJohn2

BigJohn2 said:
Hi all,
I having a local retailer coming out tomorrow and see were I could but a superdish or D* tomorrow at 10:30 am. So I will let you all know how it gos.
I just hope they show up when they say they will.
I wish I didn't have so many trees in my area.
Later,
BigJohn2

The best thing to do is to go with D* since 101 sits higher in the sky than 119.

webbydude said:
That's perfectly fine...until a service call occurs. The chance of another installer coming up to the jobsite and seeing it mounted to a chimney is a good one. Worse...he won't touch it due to the current policy of "you touched it...you own it"

Speaking of chimney mounts, does anyone actually have a specific reason(s) why they're not allowed?
Correct. You touch it, you own it. Kinda sucks.

The reason they're not allowed is too many chimneys are crap, and can NOT handle the load.

OTOH, some chimneys are as strong as a rock wall - I mounted a DirecWay on one once. Had to lie on the paperwork and say it was a masonry wall mount - but considering it was 6' wide, 6' high and 2' deep, constructed from solid rock and concrete, it was only a little lie. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Correct. You touch it, you own it. Kinda sucks.
The reason they're not allowed is too many chimneys are crap, and can NOT handle the load.
OTOH, some chimneys are as strong as a rock wall - I mounted a DirecWay on one once. Had to lie on the paperwork and say it was a masonry wall mount - but considering it was 6' wide, 6' high and 2' deep, constructed from solid rock and concrete, it was only a little lie. ;)

I guess I didn't measure how deep it was.
I think it is a couple bricks thick.

later,

BigJohn2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts