Superdish alternative Switch hookup

damialok

Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Hi,
I have gone through the Poor man's superdish setup and was successfully able to receive channels from SAT121. Now my problem lies with combining Dish500(110 & 119) and 121. I have legacy Twin LNB on Dish 500 and am using a Primestar elliptical dish with 2 output LNB(Vertical and Horizontal). I have these connected to a 301 receiver. Here is what I tried.

Horizontal 121---> Sat 1 input on Multiswitch(2x4)
Vertical 121 ---> Sat 2 input on Multiswitch(x4)
Dish500----> Sat 1 input on SW21
2x4 Multiswitch output ---> Sat 2 input on SW21
SW21 output ----> 301 receiver.

When I do a switch test I can see all 3 satellites but Odd 121 is NOT detected(When I swap inputs on 2x4 multiswitch even is not detected). I tried various other combinations but one of the polarization on 121 cannot seem to be detected. I have individually verified that both SAT 121 outputs work by connecting it to a SW21.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My first guess would be you have a bad multi switch.
THe hookups should be vertical to the 12v/13v input of switch and Horizontal to the 18v input side. (thats if your switch is labled as such, most are)

I hope this helps

Thanks Kevin, that helps. I have tried a couple of multiswitches, but no luck. Let me make sure that 13v is connected to Vertical and 18v is connected to Horizontal.
I also have a SW64 switch, do you think I can use that to hook it up to a Twin Legacy LNB? I have read that you would need a couple of dual LNBs for SW64? Also Can I run SW64 without a power inserter? The receiver is about 50' from the dish/switch.

Ok, the sw64 will need the power inserter. and yes you would need two dual LNB's on the 500 or if I remember correctly a quad LNB.

DO NOT use the Legacy Quad LNB on the SW64 switch, it will only work (if at all) for a week or so and then the Quad LNB burns up. I know dish claims that this setup works and its even in the DNSC training manuals, trust me, it doesn't work.

And No, a Legacy Twin will not work with a SW64, you would need 3 L Dual LNB's in order to complete the installation as you have described.

Also, I know when installing Superdish's with DP equipment, we always install the 'odd' satellite (either the 105 or 121) to the 1st input on the SW34, you may want to install the 121 sat to your SAT-1 inputs on the SW64. (They retail for $160ish)

ViROID said:
DO NOT use the Legacy Quad LNB on the SW64 switch, it will only work (if at all) for a week or so and then the Quad LNB burns up. I know dish claims that this setup works and its even in the DNSC training manuals, trust me, it doesn't work.

What? I have exactly that setup with a primestar dish with multiswitch
feed to a sw21 for 4 sat. Maybe I'm lucky but it's been running for almost a year.

Attachments

• superdish.jpg
    superdish.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 246
Damialok:
The best way to do this installation is to use SW21 switches. The twin lnb is one input and the superdish is the other input. The output goes to the receiver. This will only work for up to two receivers. Need a SW21 for each receiver. Legacy equipment cannot use DP switches. I have been using this setup for 5 months now. Takes a long time to get authorized for locals on SD, took 45 min for me when I called.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)