SuperDish QuesTion

chino0420

Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
:confused: Anyone know the exact weight between the Aluminum 121 SuperDish vs the Fiberglass version?

I keep losing signal on 121. fluctuates between 35-75 due to my crappy roof. i don't wanna spend a fortune replacing the roof so my installer offered me an alternative idea. Swap out the Aluminum Super Dish and replace it with the Fiberglass one (supposedly lighter and catches a better signal) and put THREE 6' x 2's on the roof and voila! suppose to be better. I guess it's worth a try so I am requesting advice and wisdom from the pros.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Its heavier. the steel dish is the lighter dish but can flex in the wind hurting reception.

I don't think that it is THAT heavy. If your roof is collapsing under that weight, I think you have other problems to worry about. You could try moving it to a place on the roof where a roof beam is directly underneath it. That might help support it better.

My roof is a little "soft" too. It's not a very old roof, just they didn't use very thick plywood. I have to be careful where I stand when I finetune my FTA dish, because I might get a good signal until I step away to climb down because I was causing one edge of the mast foot to dip ever so slightly.

When mounting on my roof, I when into the Attic and then braced the studs that would hold my dish. Frame it like you would a window casing with several 2x4's. Space these so that when anchoring with the lag screws, or other fastening hardware that they fasten into the "meat" of the 2x4 bracings and the studs.

Poke an nail up backwards if you have trouble determining the location on top of the roof for where you did the bracing work. Sufficiently braced and anchored you could handle most high winds without fear.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)