superdish with legacy receiver and dishpro adapter!! help!!

hdayanan

Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
I had superdish installed recently, I have a legacy and a 301 receiver with dp34 switch. The 301 works fine when done check switch, the legacy 4900 does not detect 119, sometimes it does recognize the switch and works fine. I had removed the wires yesterday and now today it is again not recognizing the switch. when I check signals the 121 shows green, 110 shows red and 119 shows red. all have good signal strength. The 301 works fine. I have the dishpro adapter for the legacy.

basically when I do check switch sometimes it gets 110 and 121 and sometimes 119. it is random, I called dish with no help.

As always I appreciate any insight to this problem,

Regards
dan

yes, i did that and same problem, the 301 works fine at both the locations, the installer had the same problem when he installed it, but kept on trying and got it, he did not understand it also. I tried it with a 2700 and 3900 and same problem.

Which order are the feeds going into the switch? During installation, the FSS bird gets temporarily installed into port #1. If not changed back to what it should be, this can be a problem for some receivers.

Make sure you've got 119=1, 110=2, 121=3

it was installed by the technician, I have to climb on roof top to check it, it works fine on the 301 and also before 3 days worked on the legacy receivers.
I tried check switch now few mins back I get 119 no 110 and 121 and I got 110 121 yesterday but no 119. It looks like i get either 119 or 110 and 121.

You don't have to climb up to check it. It should be shown in your switch details screen. Strangely enough, sometimes these problems don't show up immediately. No idea why.

It almost sounds like the power supply on the Legacy Adapter could be faulty (or unplugged). I don't have one in my system, so I can't say for sure that the LA wouldn't be powered off the 4900.

simplesimon,

i checked the 301 for check switch results shows 1=119, 2=121, 3=110 could this be the problem?

Foxbat,

I have 2 adapters they are brand new, I do not know how to check them if they are working properly. i will borrow one which is working and try it out.

I appreciate your help guys.

Kind Regards

Dan

"I" believe that out-of-line switch inputs can be a problem, especially with legacy receivers. I know that for a DPP44 it is recommended to have the FSS (105/121) bird on the 4th input, using the 3rd for the wing (61.5/148) bird. I know that the SD install manual says (step 16 or so) to restore 119 to port #1 after using it to aim the FSS bird.

In ANY event, nowhere in any instructions are you supposed to have FSS in port #2.

I'd switch them to 1=119, 2=110, 3=121 and of course, rerun the Check Switch.

Oh - one other thing - it'd be a good idea to kill power to the DP34 to help it 'reset'. This means disconnect all it's OUTPUTS, or pull power plugs on ALL receivers.

While you're doing all this stuff, you might as well reset the switch matrices on the receivers - get a fresh start all around. ;) This is done by disconnecting the satellite feeds from the receivers (which takes care of the switch reset :)), running Check Switch, pulling the power plug, running Check Switch AGAIN, and then moving forward.

If you do ALL of this and there's no change, well, I'm running out of ideas.

Nippjas from DBSTalk gave me the following:
nippjas said:
... on a 3900 I had to check off 129 to use a 121 superdish...and plug in the DP adapter. My 3800 and 3900 were very temperamental...this is why I traded them for 301's. In the newer rev software there maybe a Superdish checkbox under point dish and switch test..and again I had to check 110, 119, 121, and 129 in my old 3900 menu.
Don't know how applicable this might be to the 4900, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Also, I am seeing an "Alternate" check box appear under "Switch Tests"...This could be for added support, like the mad scientist experiment combining alternate cascaded switch configs...But true rhyme and reason I haven't heard about yet.

Jason

The software on the 3x00 receivers has greatly improved over time. I have lots of work arounds for this series if anyone needs help...but most of the idiosyncrasies were fixed in P231 software rev.

:usa

Finally solved,

I had to replace the Dish pro adapter, even though both the adapters I had gave out good signal strength and on the surface looked fine, I replaced these with a working one from my friend and Bham it worked.

I thank all of you who helped me out with advice and suggestions.

Kind regards
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)