SuperFan $99 Credit for 2006

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As expected in my previous post I got my letter today.

I got this year for free yet they are still offering the free superfan next season and free upgrade on the receiver based purely on the fact they were not able to deliver the new MPEG4 equipment as planned, and it clearly states that in my letter, but like others above, I will take the free superfan next year and wait out the MPEG4 HD boxes.

It sounds like a good way for D* to lock in subs for another 2 years with the offer of an advanced set top box.

Evenif subs don't take sunday ticket, they will still have to pay for at least total choice for the next 2 years.

I was planning on calling about that, because the way the letter reads, that we are "allowed to swap out" an existing receiver, which sure means no additional contract length. OR you can add it as an additional receiver (which I don't need or want) that MIGHT add a contract term, but given the nature of the letter you should be able to defeat that.

but still, why would I want to swap my bedroom receiver (or any other non-HD unit) for another non-MPEG4, non-HD box when I have an awesome HD box in my den where I watch the NFL ST 99% of the time?

Why that assumption rtt2 ? Never crossed my mind and I doubt it crossed D's either. But, sice you brought it up I made the call. No additional 2 years. I think your statement should have been made as a question.

jpn said:
Nobody has seen the 2006 base package renewal, or whether CBS & FOX plan to offer more than 8 games weekly in HD.
QUOTE]

Actually the most recent TV contract with the NFL (between NBC for Sunday nights, ESPN for Monday nights, and FOX/CBS for other games) which takes effect next season stipulates that all games be broadcast in HD.

FlyingJ said:
I did pay $49, but the credit in the letter was for $99. I too only want or like the HD portion of Superfan but I still can't understand what the crying is all about. So we got it free last year. How anyone thinks that receiving something free one year entitles them to it for life amazes me. So $49 above and beyond the ST price, whatever it is to watch my out of market team {Eagles} when they are not National is soooo worth it. Now this credit too, and lets face it most of us got great deals on our new HD Tivos, rebates, discounts, free programming etc...sounds like a lot of whining to me. Yes we want better, yes we want more and yes we want it all for nothing, but we live in the real world remember. Besides some issues with PQ which I still have faith that D* will resolve I really don't see what everyone is screaming about. If your team is local, then hey you don't neet the SF anyway for those of us that have moved from our favorites, it doesn't get any better than this. Suppose when MLB games are available in HD you will all protest and strike also.

Excuse me, but it sounds to me like you paid $ 229 for the ST + the $ 49
(I paid $99) So in reality you paid $ 278 for the ability to watch youe Eagles for approx, 12 games, they will be on the national feed, probably 4 times (just a guess,I didn't look it up) .

Just because you paid $49 for the right to see it in HD , in reality it was much more.

Q. Why does D* blackout a game when it is available OTA ??? I can get it OTA just fine, but it seems rediculouis

Jimbos said:
Q. Why does D* blackout a game when it is available OTA ??? I can get it OTA just fine, but it seems rediculouis

Because by law the local affiliates and/or the RSNs force them too.

charper1 said:

So it is not a D* issue, I am glad to see that, I think a lot of times D* gets the blame for a lot of stuff that is out of thier hands

Jimbo

charper1 said:

And it's a ridiculous law that was purchased by the National Association of Broadcasters and their very deep pockets.

charper1

jpn
And it's a ridiculous law that was purchased by the National Association of Broadcasters and their very deep pockets.

I agree 1000 %

Jimbo

bgilga said:
I received same letter yesterday. I am getting a $49 credit on my bill and I took advantage of the D10 offer. What I found interesting was that the csr was shocked to hear that my HD receiver was not interactive and offered me a new mpeg-4 receiver for $99. I did not take it, but I will look into it and maybe do it later. If anyone else received this offer please post. Thank you.

bgila,
You were offered a NEW MPEG 4 RECEIVER ???
You should have taken it, just to see what they sent you !!!!
Seeing MPEG4 receivers are not available on the market yet, might have been interesting to see how they responded :rolleyes:

Jimbo

neff2k said:
Got the same letter today. Sure glad I went with it this year. And I only paid $49 for it, and getting a $99 credit. I like this. Haven't ever complained about it. They sent it automatically to me.
I got my letter a few days ago. My letter states that since I paid $49 for SF I was getting a $49 credit for next years SF if I renew in the spring. My letter was also sent automatically.

That is what the csr told me. The new HD STB. I was going to take it, but if I paid $100 for the same h10 I have, I would have been furious. I did e-mail D* to see if that is the case. When I get a reply I will let everyone know.

Here is the response i received from D*. I don't like the sound of it concerning national HD channels

Dear

Thanks for asking about HD equipment. Right now, the following is the only update we can give you regarding MPEG 4 receivers.

Your concern might be also about how our Advanced Video Compression HD technology (MPEG-4 AVC) will affect any MPEG-2 equipment you may have. Let me reassure you that most customers will be able to use their MPEG-2 equipment for quite some time.

At this time our current HD programming will continue to be broadcast using the MPEG-2 standard, MPEG-4 technology will be used only to provide local HD programming in select cities. (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington, D.C. are expected to launch this year, with more to be added throughout the next year.)

Once local HD programming launches in your city, you will be eligible for an MPEG-4-compatible receiver replacement at no cost to you. If you want to replace your HD DVR, you may need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-compatible DIRECTV HD DVR receiver is expected to be available in early 2006.

Thanks again for writing. More details will be available as we get closer to launching the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD for the latest news.

Sincerely,

James
DIRECTV Customer Service

commitment

I got a free H10 with a one year commitment bc of SUperfan. Will this one year commitment effect me getting the free HD upgrade later this yeaR?
I want my current HD receiver upgraded.

Can I order the new HD receiver and have it sent to me and then install the new dish myself?

bgilga said:
Here is the response i received from D*. I don't like the sound of it concerning national HD channels......... SNIP............

Sincerely,
James
DIRECTV Customer Service

Same thing they have been saying from the very beginning, so its nothing new, no shocks or surprizes; no "cop outs" or broken promises. They are telling us all they can tell, of what they are allowed to tell. Its just sad the launch facility screwed them and therefore us! Somethings just happen in the multi-billion dollar world of high-stakes satellite/telecom deployment.

I just spoke to Barbara in customer service about the offer. She said the only HD rec. they would offer me was an H 10 or possibly a HD-DVR FOR $100. She said it was not the new H20.

I called a couple minutes ago, and asked the question, "why doesn't Sunday Ticket appear in HD?" First level CSR said well, you got to pay $49 for it. I politely said really, that doesn't seem very friendly. She said well, "since you are a long time customer, I'll turn it on for you right now for free."
Now as a reader of this site, I knew that it was negotiable when calling D*, but getting Superfan for free in 2005 is quite a come down for D*, considering they wanted to charge $100 way back in August. So the guys that paid $100, are they getting that fully credited back or just $49? Are the ones who paid $49, also getting that back?
Seems D* went to a lot of trouble for very little extra revenue.

I talked my way into a free SF package before the season started and STILL received the letter for the free SF package in 2006. As the letter clearly states the reversal is do to the hardware NOT being available, we are also in the know that push backs have been because of the Spaceway2 delay thanks to Ariane Space

They're just setting you up for a price increase in 2006 of basic Sunday Ticket to $300.

I seriously don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)