Support for "Smart" remotes

JoelS

Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
cary NC
I recently switched from Spectrum(TWC) and am very pleased with most of the great features. One thing that I wish could be fixed is to allow Smart remotes like Logitech control the Hopper (and Joeys). I suggested to my installers that a "simple" fix could be a "new" box that plugs into the DVR via USB and some changes to the soft/firmware in the box to accept signals from the smart remote. This "fix" would open the Dish market to many (most?) high priced beach rental homes that are mostly equipped with home theaters controlled by Logitech remotes.

I apologize if this has been previously discussed; I just joined this forum. Thanks

I've always used Harmony remotes to control my HT, including Dish receivers. Simple to program. I think the Echo will interface with the Harmony Hub to do everything but the laundry.

I currently use two Harmony 650s with my two HWSes.

Reactions: rmoore3d
  • I have a hopper with sling, Joey and Super Joey, all with a 52.0 remote which is NOT compatible with logitech remotes. They have a security feature that ONLY communicate with their "paired" DVR or Joey. The output is NOT recognized by the logitech remote.
  • As far as the voice command units like Echo, I doubt if they will support my Amp, DVD player, VCR and Logitech Revue. Also, the "You can't... old dogs" applies; I am 75.

Reactions: bspei
Not true at all.

Just go into the Remote Settings Screen on your Hopper and click on Enable IR. You can then use any universal remote to control it. (Same goes for the Joeys.)

(EDIT) Are you trying to learn from the DIsh Remote to the Harmony remote? If that's the case, it won't work since the DISH remotes are UHF remotes not IR remotes. You are trying to do things the hard way, just program it through the Logitech Harmony software / website.and it will work fine.

IR is "activated" on all my remotes, but the DVR model is NOT supported by logitech so all commands would have to be "learned" by the smart remote. Unfortunately, the 52.0 does not send IR?

IR is "activated" on all my remotes, but the DVR model is NOT supported by logitech so all commands would have to be "learned" by the smart remote. Unfortunately, the 52.0 does not send IR?
My Harmony remote has every command available visa the Dish 40, 50, and 52 remotes. I have complete control over my Hopper 3 and had the same with my H2000.

Gee. That HWS isn't supported? I guess my two HWSes are only pretending to work with my Harmony 650s. And before them, other Harmony models. Just fine. ;)

At the site, look under Echostar for the command sets.

Pairing is nice, but it doesn't have a security feature restricting the use of other brand IR remotes.

Set IR to active, on the Hopper. Do you currently have a Harmony remote? We might be able to help more.

Reactions: JSheridan
I have a Harmony 700. My Echostar shows model E211440. I did not find that in the logitech support list,
what model # should I use?

I have a Harmony 700. My Echostar shows model E211440. I did not find that in the logitech support list,
what model # should I use?

Try just entering "Hopper" instead of a model number. Like others have posted, I use my Harmony 880 daily with my Hopper.

That's what I did just search Hopper not the model number, my 3 harmony 300's work just fine on my H3 before that the H2 before that a 722.:D

My installation was on Monday. Didn't even make a change in the Hopper settings, just programmed my Harmony through the software, adding a new PVR, Dish Network, Hopper 3, did the update, and it worked just like it should.

Sorry for delay in responding, my hard drive failed and had to clone to recover. I tried hopper and it works GREAT! I have tested all the buttons on my Harmony 700 and also added all the listed commands for the "Hopper" model in the "Devices" to check the function. I can document all the hopper names and what the do which is different. For example the default Blue button sets CC on/off. I will be customizing some of the remote buttons to include DVR list so I do not have to go to device command screens.

Reactions: Partysox and KAB
I was reading a Harmony add and it says that with Alexa, the Harmony still will not control volume thru Alexa. DO you guys or gals that have Harmony and Alexa know any difference?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)