Supreme Court ruled in favor of TV Networks

I wonder if the outcome would have been different if the signal was sent to the customer and then they could use their own software to decode / record (DVR) the signal, instead of being forced to watch it off of Aereo's DVR.

I am told that Aereo is not going anywhere and the service will continue. My question is... how.

Guess we will wait and see. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Copyrighted material is constitutionally protected. It is part of the original constitution, not an amendment recently added by the NAB. You do not have to subscribe to cable or satellite if you do not wish to do so. They are charging what the market will bear. You still have the free and legal option of OTA reception. Yes a recording device like a TiVo or MS media center will cost some money, but they too are optional.

Reply to mike123abc,

Copyright is another controversial subject. People do have choice. Fortunately, I can get free OTA signals from my home DMA (Greenville,SC) and adjacent Augusta, GA as moderate signals. Another adjacent Columbia, SC (very weak) and off-and-on Charlotte, NC OTA too. Unfortunately, the only strong OTA signal at my location is PBS/SCETV.

Despite my local ABC station's towers at Mt. Pisgah, NC about 98 miles and moderate signal, I do have trouble getting it OTA mostly. Have to rely on ABC from Augusta, GA or Columbia, SC when it comes to OTA. Fortunately, I got DirecTV.

I'm still on American Television Alliance's side not the NAB, that's for darn sure! ;)

I wonder if the outcome would have been different if the signal was sent to the customer and then they could use their own software to decode / record (DVR) the signal, instead of being forced to watch it off of Aereo's DVR.

I am told that Aereo is not going anywhere and the service will continue. My question is... how.

The other shoe that has not dropped yet is that now that they have been in operation for quite a while, they can be sued for all the back retransmission fees that the SC just said they should have been paying.

I do not see a practical home sling like service since most people do not have the uplink capacity.

I could see them reaching retransmission agreements though, but the cost of service would probably have to go up.

You can get prior generation (TiVo HD or TiVo series 3) for a couple hundred bucks used with lifetime. Yes they have the old list based interface and not the fancy one of the Romeo, but they do record OTA very reliably (avoid the Premiere line).
And if you are like many (most) of us, you already have 5 other ways of getting amazon streaming through your Roku, BluRay player, smart TV, etc.

There are also a lot of games you can play with TIVO service. For example, you can get a cheap Premiere unit without lifetime, wait a couple of months and then take advantage of their periodic deal to trade up plus lifetime for a reduced price. They will generall offer to sell you lifetime for the Premiere for $100 at that point, at which time you can put it on ebay for $300. Or you can buy that series 3 with lifetime, buy the Roamio as a second unit, get the reduced lifetime rate and have 2 units. There are lots of ways to reduce cost.

If they are transmitting content I don't see how they continue operations as-is, and obviously retrans agreements won't be enough, tacking ads onto already ad - proliferated content wouldn't go over well either and probably would generate enough anyways.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AEREOinmemoriam.png
You will love to get a kick out of this. I made this to remember what Aereo was for America.

Here is what I would like to see.

I see a New "Aereo" Slingbox coming out soon, which you can buy at Best Buy or online and send to your local Aereo POP It will plus into the existing Aereo Antenna system and will allow you reception of your locals via your Slingbox. Aereo will then charge a monthly hosting fee instead of the DVR fee they are charging now.

Since the Slingbox has already been ruled as being legal this would get around all this crap once and for all.
That sounds like a strong possibility

Is the only language you speak 'set self on fire and run around' ?

What, factually, about this ruling is wrong?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I didn't say that meStevo,

The ruling was (as I say many times) a Travesty to USA! The NAB has Officially KILLED the true American Dream especially for those who are cord-cutters (low and middle class). BTW The 1976 Copyright Act is OUTDATED and needs to be updated for 21st Century needs for God's sake. That's my POV!

Maybe what will happen is the broadcasters will tell the owner of Aereo that he can either pay back re-transmitting fees or,if the fees are prohibitive,surrender outright control of Aereo,to include the innovative antennas,to them. The only problem NAB & broadcasters in general have with Aereo is that they didn't come up with the idea first & Aereo wasn't under their control. They'll just do what big corporations always do,steal ideas & technology from the little man,& reap the profits all to themselves. Think Napster.

Ahhh but Aereo isn't dead. ;)

The fight continues and it will be a long one.

I have to agree here. Aereo MAY die, but they are not dead yet! I see them coming up with a different approach and moving forward.
If I am wrong and they do die, then people can post all the posters of them dead. The way I see it, the people making up those pictures, have not done their research, or just like the drama it stirs. :)

Reactions: osu1991
Actually aereo could save the broadcast industry by providing more access to signals that were meant to be free..they just need to learn how to sell advertising in a online environment
That won't stop younger viewers from abandoning these broadcast networks in favor of cable. If people aren't watching your content, they aren't watching advertisements to get you paid. In the future, Amazon and Netflix may make a dent with their original content.

This has been going on for decades. If you look at just the last season, they lost 10% of their key demo. http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/2013-14-nielsen-tv-ratings-depressing-chart.html

I think this is why the networks have to grab retransmission fees as the system is so broken now. If young viewers leave, then how do you pay for content?

I have to agree here. Aereo MAY die, but they are not dead yet! I see them coming up with a different approach and moving forward.
If I am wrong and they do die, then people can post all the posters of them dead. The way I see it, the people making up those pictures, have not done their research, or just like the drama it stirs. :)
Aereo won't die,it'll just come under new( re NAB) management. Cha ching baby,crony capitalism steals,oops I mean wins again. Why invent new things when you can just steal the other poor sap's invention.

think this is why the networks have to grab retransmission fees as the system is so broken now. If young viewers leave, then how do you pay for content?
That's why I believe that the idea of a TV tax,based on a tax per Number of TV's per household,will get floated,just like they have a TV tax in Europe. Where there's a will to rip off the common man,there's a way.

As Denis Wharton said at NAB's website "Aereo characterized our lawsuit as an attack on innovation; that claim is demonstrably false" That's a bunch of Damn Lies from the NAB...They hate innovation from the start! :mad:

I'm glad folks like ACA and American Television Alliance are for reforming outdated retrans and silly laws and they hate NAB's guts too. It's for sure!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts