Supreme Court ruled in favor of TV Networks

Also what ticks me off the NAB always get their way 100% and greediness needs to stop.
Money is the root of all EVIL!

I predict cord-cutters will send angry letters/hate mail at the NAB and the broadcasters like for example Les Moonves of CBS, jammed up SCOTUS phone lines to protest the ruling or picketing and protesting outside like the NAB's HQ in Washington, DC!

As I say Hell Has Braked Loosed or in the words of singer Barry McGuire Eve of Destruction!

Still, I feel cord-cutters pain by mourning the death of Aereo despite we're D* subs.

A majority of people haven't heard of Aereo. Most that have, just don't care. Most of those that know, and care, won't do a thing.

No huge Pickett lines.

No swamped phone lines.

No big letter writing campaign.

No big email campaign.

No ripple in the Space-Time Continuum.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This was inevitable. I don't see the doom quake coming like some here.

This is supposed to be the USA! The NAB aren't real Americans or Patriotic, they're corrupted commies who hates innovation. If I was at TV Guide I'll their arses Jeers along with SCOTUS in Cheers & Jeers section of the magazine.

Also on another controversial subject Music Licensing....A form of Censorship by Copyright. You never hear real songs by The Beatles because it costs $250K-$500K to play their songs in movies and TV (like soon-to-end Mad Men creator Matt Weiner did two years ago) while average $50K for other artists. IMHO Happy Birthday should have been Public Domain in the first place for God's sake than wait until current rights expire in 2030. Pathetic too!

So why isn't the entire NAB in prison for racketeering? I suppose for the same reason the judges aren't in a mental institution for not being able to adapt to reality.
Because without the NAB none of these guys in office would have been elected.

Politicians need the support of the media or they are not politicians anymore.

Reactions: jayn_j and Teehar
Because without the NAB none of these guys in office would have been elected.

Politicians need the support of the media or they are not politicians anymore.

1000 times yes.If people don't realize that,something is wrong.To the folks that agree with this decision,I don't want to hear one peep about a price increases.You asked for it you got it.

Tampa8:
>To those that say watch for higher and higher retransmission fees.... Yep.
Also expect more retransmission fee disputes in the future and channels taken off.

My comment agrees with the court that the case doesn't restrict innovation as much as it's being made out.

I don't even think that Aereo is all that innovative as it relies on dying broadcast networks. Viewers continue to abandon these networks in favor of cable networks who are producing content people actually want to watch.
Actually aereo could save the broadcast industry by providing more access to signals that were meant to be free..they just need to learn how to sell advertising in a online environment

I hope this inspires a new generation of DTVPal DVR type devices. The ruling seems to allow for that. You just can't have OTA PROGRAMMING streamed. An OTA dvr plus perhaps adding in Netflix and Hulu. Maybe even the ability to download Amazon programming to the hard drive.

Yeah, that's a Tivo, but their fees are out of this world for plain OTA listings.

Actually aereo could save the broadcast industry by providing more access to signals that were meant to be free..they just need to learn how to sell advertising in a online environment

I don't think it'd work that way. They are still "selling" a service. They are rebroadcasting a signal, which SCOTUS rules they have no rights to. It'd be like you letting people watch the NFL on Fox at your house, but charging people to watch it. Not legal.

Reactions: Annie61
I don't think it'd work that way. They are still "selling" a service. They are rebroadcasting a signal, which SCOTUS rules they have no rights to. It'd be like you letting people watch the NFL on Fox at your house, but charging people to watch it. Not legal.
I meant the broadcasters working with aereo could become more profitable by perfecting a free distribution model based on ads..supreme court shot down DVR service not streaming

I hope this inspires a new generation of DTVPal DVR type devices. The ruling seems to allow for that. You just can't have OTA PROGRAMMING streamed. An OTA dvr plus perhaps adding in Netflix and Hulu. Maybe even the ability to download Amazon programming to the hard drive.

Yeah, that's a Tivo, but their fees are out of this world for plain OTA listings.

TIVO with lifetime. A $300-500 solution, which is 3-6 months of that cable bill.

Exactly, what difference was Aereo's service when compared to a cable company? Essentially both charge you a monthly fee to watch broadcast TV (and DVR service). Aereo was acting the same as cable, so the court ruled that they should fall under the same laws.

Got over it. But yesterday was Black Wednesday as I call this on SCOTUS controversial decision to kill Aereo and give cord-cutters real nightmares.

Corporate Greed and Corruption of the NAB still lives on sadly. :(

Retransmission Consent must be ABOLISHED because it's killing diversity and real local news. And the dire warnings from SNL Kagan that Retrans fees will go up billions by years to come. America has been screwed! I hate to say this.

TIVO with lifetime. A $300-500 solution, which is 3-6 months of that cable bill.

More than that. Lifetime Tivo subscriptions are $500 alone, plus at least $200 for the equipment. $700 at least. Plus, no ability to download rather than stream Amazon shows for those of us with slow internet connections.

Got over it. But yesterday was Black Wednesday as I call this on SCOTUS controversial decision to kill Aereo and give cord-cutters real nightmares.

Corporate Greed and Corruption of the NAB still lives on sadly. :(

Retransmission Consent must be ABOLISHED because it's killing diversity and real local news. And the dire warnings from SNL Kagan that Retrans fees will go up billions by years to come. America has been screwed! I hate to say this.

Copyrighted material is constitutionally protected. It is part of the original constitution, not an amendment recently added by the NAB. You do not have to subscribe to cable or satellite if you do not wish to do so. They are charging what the market will bear. You still have the free and legal option of OTA reception. Yes a recording device like a TiVo or MS media center will cost some money, but they too are optional.

More than that. Lifetime Tivo subscriptions are $500 alone, plus at least $200 for the equipment. $700 at least. Plus, no ability to download rather than stream Amazon shows for those of us with slow internet connections.

You can get prior generation (TiVo HD or TiVo series 3) for a couple hundred bucks used with lifetime. Yes they have the old list based interface and not the fancy one of the Romeo, but they do record OTA very reliably (avoid the Premiere line).

Reactions: jayn_j

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)