Surge Suppression and Power Condtioning

red hazard said:
Where can you purchase the DLPS-SAT1? Also it's not necessary to use a ground block if the DLPS-SAT1 can accept an 8 AWG ground wire as it would perform the same grounding function that the ground block would. The TII that I mentioned is available on EBAY for about 11 bucks plus S&H. After I upgrade to DISH PRO, I intend to test the TII to see if it actually causes any problems at the higher freqs. If it does, then I'll install the DLPS-SAT1 or similiar product (if I locate one).

Found the product by searching for a 2.2GHz satellite surge suppressor. This is the only product the search produced, that's why I asked if anyone had found other products.

The company making the DLPS-SAT1 is Cable Innovations in Lawrenceville, GA. http://www.cableinnovations.com

Called and spoke with a very friendly gentleman named Nick, who said we could buy it from directly from them, just drop customer service an e-mail. Their primary business is the cable industry, so they don't have retail outlets. This particular unit is 9.99 each, functions as a ground block, and is 2-way (protects both from and to the dish).

Haven't seen anything comparable, that's why I am asking if anyone knows of other products like this one. If no one can ID another product, I think I will order one and see how I like it. Of course I don't have any test equipment, so the only way I can measure insertion loss is to look and hear, very subjective.

I currently use a Monster HTS-3500 w/ my Sammy HLN507W DLP, which is currently fed by a DISH 811 receiver for SAT and OTA digital video. For sound processing I have a Sony STR-DE895 driving a 6.1 speaker setup.

I can't comment on any sound quality (SQ) changes w/ the HTS-3500 as I have GI hearing and the wife hasn't complained before or after. I bought the HTS-3500 solely to deal w/ digital video issues.

When I first got my Sammy DLP, I drove it with a DISH 2700 via an S-Video connection. Well the 2700 is well past its prime and S-Video doesn't do well on a DLP. My surge suppressor was a basic Monster unit (about $100). The wife complained about the PQ constantly and was regretting the Sammy DLP.

So, I spent the bucks for the HTS-3500 and was amazed at the PQ improvement. It was sufficient to overcome the WAF. Now with the 811 and a DVI connection, my PQ is outstanding. I certainly wouldn't go back.

I run both the antenna coax and E* coax through the HTS-3500 for surge protection. I tried the signals w/ and w/o the HTS-3500 and it doesn't appear to degrade the signals at all.

Does the Panamax 5100 have stage 3 filtering (i.e., digital as well as power and audio)?

Let us know if it improves your PQ. If it does, I'll be real proud. If it doesn't, remember I suggested Monster.

Monster DISHPRO

Not aware of any Monster products that are DISHPRO certified. In other words when I upgrade to DISHPRO, I'll be most likely be SOL with my HTS-3500. Some of the PANAMAX products are DISHPRO approved.

Originally posted by ROLLTIDE​
I don't think that it improved my PQ at all

Sorry about that. My HTS-3600 helped mine, but I was feeding a fixed pixel display (Sammy RP/DLP), which seems very sensitive to digital adjustments. Is your display a fixed pixel display?

The other thing that helped my PQ when I first got my Sammy and was trying to get decent SD PQ w/ a 2700 was putting in new coax. I installed new, quad-shielded, RG-6, coax from the grounding block outside to my Sammy. But this had less affect than the HTS-3600.

I use radio shack inline cable surge supressors on everything in the house, SAT, TVs cabkle modems, etc. After having to repair 2 modems and losing one small TV. A good piece of advice as this happened to me. Go out and make sure your cabe is grounded.

I just mounted my old window A/C unit and everytime it would fire up, it would make my old APC's choke (batteries are history), so I went and bought 2 new APC 500's and dedicated one to my PJ and the others to my other gear and everything is running at least through the surge suppression and now I don't even get a hiccup when that old beast powers up.

If you want the best in power, get a true online UPS. These UPSs always run off of the battery. The battery is being charged all the time by the wall plug. The best will produce a nice 60hz sine wave. There is no switchover time when the power goes out because they are always on battery.

I have a apc350 on my 28inch tv and hughes directv receiver, but the voltage in the neighborhood is a bit low (109vac) so the ups jumps in whenever anything is turned on, like the microwave or frig, or even the microwave next door. I should realy get a line conditioning ups.

If you simply use the ground block and ground to the common building ground per NEC standards, your cable will be protected from lightning entering the house Via that cable.

All of those fancy gas tubes and such will gain you nothing that a properly setup ground block doesn't already provide.

Power conditioning can't hurt for most DBS equipment but shouldn't be necessary. As long as the power supplies in the units meet the UL standards, they should operate just find with variations in voltage. Typically even a dropped phase won't mess up a UL listed power supply. CRT monitors, on the other hand, don't exactly appreciate it.

Myself, I'm using a ISOBAR6DBS surge supressor. It also has a "noise reduction" feature that isn't to bad.

It retails for only $99 and it pretty good for that price.

But Not DishPro Approved

Tina C. said:
Myself, I'm using a ISOBAR6DBS surge supressor. It also has a "noise reduction" feature that isn't to bad.

It retails for only $99 and it pretty good for that price.

Yes that is a fine surge suppressor/noise reducer. I use two on my legacy DishNetwork system and one for my FTA system. I had a power surge caused by the power company (not Lightning) and it blew out the components in the ISOBAR 6 DBS but protected the connected equipment. Tripp Lite replaced the surge suppressors after a couple of follow-ups.

For those that use a DishPro system, these surge suppressors are not recommended. I received a reply from Tripp Lite's technical support advising that ISOBAR6DBS was not recommended for frequencies above 1500Mhz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts