Surround Sound Suggestions

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I'm trying to help my dad pick out a better surround sound and not sure what to look for. He currently has a Harman/Kardon HK 3450. He needs something a lot louder so he can hear over my stereo in basement which is pumping around 8000 watts. He also likes his music loud but wants 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Budget is around $1000.00

Lots of choices around that range. My top 3 would probably be Denon 3100, Marantz 5009, or Harman Kardon 3700.

S~

Isn't the easiest solution to just turn your system down? :imconfused
Yeah. I am figuring that once he is pumping out 8000 watts and his Dad is doing something similar, they may need to pay to up the power of the neighbor's stereo, then the town and eventually the whole county :)

Turn it down, or at least put that money into sound isolation.

We are in the process of building a bar/party room in the barn. I'll be moving most of the equipment out there but that will be a while.

I like that Marantz I'll show it to the old man. What would be a decent set of speakers to go with it?

First, I recommend staying at 5.1. No need to pay for two extra speakers that will rarely be used - in that price range. Buy a NICE center and 12" sub. I am a snob - no 10" sub will match an equivalent quality 12".

I have a 5.1 in the bedroom. Waste of money.

I have a 7.1 in the LR. Nice, but rarely used to full effect. $800+ in those speakers, easy, maybe more.

Onkyo AVRs in both locations, hundreds of dollars each.

IF there is any chance of UHD TV or even 3D, go for the latest HDMI, 1.4 or 2.0. I think in that price range, trading off wattage is in the cards. If there is no reasonable chance of UHD or 3D, save bucks with an HDMI 1.3 AVR and put the difference into speakers, especially the center. No need to match my Klipschorns, but there are plenty of good speakers in that range.

I submit $1500 would GREATLY increase quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)