Survey: Any HD channels that you don't watch?

Which of these channels do you rarely or never watch?

• ESPN2HD

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • HGTV

Votes: 37 14.7%
  • NFLHD

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • VOOM - GAMEPLAY

Votes: 175 69.7%
  • VOOM - ANIMANIA

Votes: 185 73.7%
  • VOOM - HDNews

Votes: 78 31.1%
  • VOOM - GALLERY

Votes: 167 66.5%
  • VOOM - RUSH

Votes: 103 41.0%
  • VOOM - ULTRA

Votes: 146 58.2%
  • VOOM - WORLDSPORT

Votes: 110 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Couple of thoughts....number one - kudos to Dish for continuing to add more & more HD! I know there's a lot of "why do we waste bandwidth on this crap" kind of thoughts, but, I for one am really glad to have a source of lots of HD to watch on my expen$ive HDTV! Sure - there's a number of channels that are a complete waste - from MY perspecitive - but I'm sure they must have their fans also.

I get this perspective from my own family's watching habits. I only voted for ANIMANIA in the poll because I voted from my whole family's perspective:
All of us - HDNet & HDnet Movies
Me - Monster, Rave, DiscHD, NGHD, HGHD, NFLHD, ESPNHD (& 2 also), World cinema, filmfest, Rush sometimes Gallery, occasionally HDNews
Wife - HGHD, now FoodHD, NGHD, ESPNHD, sometimes Ultra (really almost never)
Older son - Rave, Gameplay, ESPNHD
Younger son - Rush, Rave, ESPNHD, WorldSport (for the soccer)

We pretty much never watch Universal HD, Family HD, Treasure, and TNT-HD (don't need to see SD streched content).....but I'm sure they are someone's favorites.

I never watch the PPV channel. Unless you count the HD baseball games which I check out occasionally, as I'm an extra innings subscriber.

BlackHitachi said:
I wonder how many people that voted they don't watch ANIMANIA have kids? Also i wonder if there kids do? Just a thought.

I was surprised how high this one was. It was probably the third or fourth most watched channel at our house. My kids watched it a lot over the past year. For those of us "adults" who appreciate animation for the artistic merits, there are a lot of really good animated shorts from the National Film board of Canada as fillers between shows that are not shown anywhere else. But since Voom doesn't have all that much content to work with, the kids have seen just about everything now and are moving on to the greater variety in SD.

Bob

Poll Wrap Up

We received responses from 251 SatGuys.

My impressions of the results:

1) All of the channels are being watched by at least a fair number of us. The VOOM Animania channel was tabbed most often as a channel that we never watch, but they received a positive response from over 1/4th of the respondents.

2) A number of VOOM channels are not being watched very much. Four VOOM channels are not watched by 60%-75% of us.

3) HGHD is being tuned in by a LOT of Satguys (not me!). 86% indicate that they watch it at least occasionally. This could be biased because HGHD had just been added by Dish and people may have been tuning in to check it out.

4) Sports is a strong attractor. Both ESPN2HD and NFLHD got good support, and the VOOM Rave and Worldsport channels did significantly better than other VOOM channels.

5) Amongst the 7 VOOM channels offered, their HDNEWs was the most popular.

I may follow up with a similar poll with a different twist.

I watched most of the Voom channels until I watched all the shows. Now what do I do? No new programming? So I can watch a Smart Travel rerun from 4 years ago for the 10th time but I can't watch 24 in HD on Fox? I'm getting pissed

I never watch GalleryHD, UltraHD and because I hate "Stretch o Vision", no TNT.

Favorites are MonstersHD, UniversalHD, HDNet and HDNet Movies. I am sure that once it is turned on, INHD will be on my favorites list.

Everything else is on my occasional list except that I do not see the extra worth to upgrade beyond silver just to get NGHD so that one is out.

They should merge Voom into like 5-8 channels. DVR what you want to watch and it opens up some major bandwidth. Too many repeats!

My opinion is that ALL the Voom channels are a waste -------- If I could, I would get rid of all of them ------ Can't wait for locals ------

I like Rave , Monster's , World , Film and Family channels. The rest I could care less about. I think that they could merge a lot of the channels into about 5 of them. But that would bring down the total Dish has at 30 . Maybe once they start adding more mainstream channels in hd and bandwith gets tighter , Dish will then decide to cut down the amount they carry. OF course by next summer all hd will be in mpeg4 so we might see more bandwith will be available. Makes you wonder how much bandwith will be available once they move all mpeg 2 channels to mpeg 4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)