Survey says iOS prefered over Android

Android support seems steady, whereas iOS has been more sporadic in the chart, at least in terms of the percent of users who said they were going to get a particular type device as their next phone. In the end of 2009, iOS had 30%, Android had about 20%, and BB/Rim was just a tad higher than Android. BUT within 6 months, the iOS number jumps to 50% and RIM drops dramatically.

This gets to one of the things I found interesting - it wasn't the iOS v Android, but the numbers for everyone else:

The iPhone continues to get the highest satisfaction marks (70% "very satisfied") compared with Google's (GOOG) Android (50%), Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows OS (27%) and Research in Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry (26%).

Windows only 27% and Blackberry 26%, half of Android satisfaction, and 1/3 of iOS.

SO, why is it that only half of Android users are satisfied? Envy over Apps that they know exist for iOS, but aren't there for Android? A year ago, I would have said that would be a likely explanation, but I am not sure that is true today, given how many of the same iOS apps are now available for Android.

Another question - the survey doesn't tell, but are iOS users happier today with VZW than they were with just AT&T?

I wouldn't get too caught up in surveys, it seems they are always slanted at the answer that the creator wants. One day you see some numbers from one and it says XYZ, then the next week another survey does a play on words and it says ABC.

Not if it is a representative sample.
Exactly!
It is not! Says in the text, polled people mostly from the US.
What can this sample represent?

And when it is not, it is anecdotal at best...

Also, to have a chance to be called science it has to be done by Gallup...

Diogen.

diogen said:
Exactly!
It is not! Says in the text, polled people mostly from the US.
What can this sample represent?

And when it is not, it is anecdotal at best...

Also, to have a chance to be called science it has to be done by Gallup...

Diogen.

Sorry, it isn't global, oooooh...

It is a representative sample of smartphone users in the US.

And don't give me that crap about it having to be done by Gallup to be called a science. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reading comprehension problems?

Majority from the US.
Hence, not representative of the US market.
Hence, you can call it anything you like, science it is not.

And yes, Gallup is science, the rest has to prove it is...

Diogen.

Reading comprehension problems?

Majority from the US.
Hence, not representative of the US market.
Hence, you can call it anything you like, science it is not.

And yes, Gallup is science, the rest has to prove it is...

Diogen.

Poor Diogen. A survey comes out he disagrees with, so it is "bad science." Pathetic actually. Your statement about Gallup is laughable and shows your ignorance of public opinion polling. Not worth responding to. :rolleyes:

We note that this survey focuses primarily on the North American smart phone market – with the sample being 89% U.S. respondents and 11% outside the U.S.

Lets look at this sentence: the "North American market" - 89% US, 11% outside the US. Hmmm... population percentages sound right. So, it seems representative of the "North American market." Notice, they are upfront about that. Who has the reading comprehension problem?

Now can we please return to discussing the actual survey results? OR is your only response to try to trash it? I raised some interesting questions.

Disagrees?
Do you disagree with 2+2=5 statement? I think it's a wrong verb...

Why not drop the 11% and make in a US sample?

Poor Apple users, long-term and converted.
Hanging on to "polls" that are "representative samples" of bullsh!t.
Whether you call it social science 101 or something else...

Diogen.

diogen said:
Disagrees?
Do you disagree with 2+2=5 statement? I think it's a wrong verb...

Why not drop the 11% and make in a US sample?

Poor Apple users, long-term and converted.
Hanging on to "polls" that are "representative samples" of bullsh!t.
Whether you call it social science 101 or something else...

Diogen.

Wow. It is like arguing with a brick wall.

Now you are just making up 2+2= 5. Dribble. Whatever. I will say it again. Poor, poor Diogen. Doesn't like the results so the survey is automatically flawed, even though you seem to be completely ignorant to how public opinion is done. So you call it "Bad Science."

And for the record, I own a droid x, not an iPhone, and the discussion has nothing to do with that. I asked a question about the results, trying to better understand them, but you aren't interested in actually discussing it.

So I will raise the question again -- why are iPhone users more satisfied than Android users? IS it just the cool-crowd factor of iPhones? The fact that until recently a lot of Android users had Android phones because it was the only option open to them? Is there something to the old argument that Android has the geek crowd and Apple has the cool crowd? (I never bought that argument, since the geek crowd is attracted to both; i.e., the small percentage of both user base that is either rooted or jailbreaked), but those folks aren't really representative of the user base.

I'd like to see them dig deeper with questions as to the WHY? It would be interesting, and valuable.

But what is equally compelling about the survey, and would cause a lot of lost sleep if I were Microsoft or RIM, is the total decline of both of their markets.

Poor, poor Diogen. Doesn't like the results so the survey is automatically flawed...
Hehe...
I guess humor time came early into this thread...:)

iOS was and is more desirable... and losing to Android at the same time.
I hope it continues to be more desirable...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)