Survey says iOS prefered over Android

rockymtnhigh said:
So I will raise the question again -- why are iPhone users more satisfied than Android users? IS it just the cool-crowd factor of iPhones? The fact that until recently a lot of Android users had Android phones because it was the only option open to them? Is there something to the old argument that Android has the geek crowd and Apple has the cool crowd? (I never bought that argument, since the geek crowd is attracted to both; i.e., the small percentage of both user base that is either rooted or jailbreaked), but those folks aren't really representative of the user base.

I'd like to see them dig deeper with questions as to the WHY? It would be interesting, and valuable.

But what is equally compelling about the survey, and would cause a lot of lost sleep if I were Microsoft or RIM, is the total decline of both of their markets.

I'll take a crack at this. I initially got an iPhone 3G because it was the best thing available for AT&T at that time. I've been very satisfied with the iPhone ever since. The speed boost and improved resolution in the 4 was quite nice; the improvement in battery performance was a huge change. I should note that my iPhone is jailbroken and with enhanced text and lock screen apps, it's much more intuitive and easy to use. Having to switch apps to answer a text or unlock the phone to see basic notifications and calendar info was annoying. I don't think I could ever go back to a non-jailbroken phone. I refuse to upgrade iOS versions until there's an accompanying jailbreak.

Ultimately, it does all the essential things I need out of a phone. I've played around with Androids owned by relatives and friends and they're interesting. I enjoy reading about all the new specs of upcoming Android phones because manufacturers are constantly trying to one up each other and that leads to improvements for everyone. But, when it comes down to it, I can't imagine having to repurchase apps and allowing the investment I've made in software die away just to get an Android with better specs than my iPhone. It would take a monumental leap in technology and features for me to go there.

I honestly think the "specs" competition is hurting the Android's satisfaction levels. While Apple's once a year refresh cycle is very much on the long side; I'd propose that having a new "better" phone released every 4-6 weeks leaves a lot of users disenchanted with their purchases. Especially since the nature of phone contracts makes purchasing a new phone prohibitively expensive if you don't wait at least a year (if not two). I know it's not going to happen, but I bet satisfaction levels would go up if manufacturers only released new phones every three months or so. Then buyers who bought for the specs would have the satisfaction of having the best phone available for at least a little bit of time.

I bought my Nexus One 16 months ago.
Still one of the best phones on specs that matter to me...

11x042899nad.jpg

Diogen.

IMO I think the reason people are more satisfied with the iphone is that it is one phone, just one maker, made by Apple. The android has different versions of the phone, not all androids are created equal.

Some people might buy a lower end android thinking it is a android but than finding out it can't do things that other android phones can do like having the capability of flash, where if you buy a iphone it will be just like a iphone because there is only one maker.

I love my android but the one before I hated because of no flash and T-Mobile not telling me there wasn't flash. I came so close to leave and go to Verizon and get a iPhone, T-Mobile screwed me over again and when I leave to Verizon I will get another android because of the phone I have now.

Attachments

• Androidatoz - Android VS Iphone.png
    Androidatoz - Android VS Iphone.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Really can't tell much without seeing the actual survey. (i.e questions) The sample size seems fair but it would be nice to see how many apple users vs android users were asked in the survey.

Just because someone says they would prefer to buy something does not mean the actually buy it. iOS has the big advantage of name recognition. When they get to the store they see the choices and prices, and then they pick android more often (as demonstrated by activation numbers). This is probably driven by the shear number of devices available at different prices.

People "settle" for android because they figure it is close to iOS. They may not know anything about it. This is not an insult to android, but an acknowledgment ok Apple's marketing.

I'd like to see them dig deeper with questions as to the WHY? It would be interesting, and valuable.

Yes, but how often have you seen a survey that asks why? How the F would you tally such a collection? Best case I have seen in this was the hypothetical recommendations we studied in my scientific data collection classes. Rule #1 avoid surveys that ask opinions. Instead if you wish to collect such data, suggest 4-5 typical opinions you wish to tabulate and list them including "none of the above."

But since you asked, My opinion is that iOS is an Apple product. Nuf said! :D

Heard a news blurb today that a survey of those waiting to jump on the iphone bandwagon are waiting for the iphone5. Based on the numbers it is now estimated that iphone5 sales will double what previousy was sold in iphone4 numbers.

The numbers reported from canalys (sp) today indicates that android has about 50% of the worldwide market share.

It has every appearance of a two horse race and the US is only about 5% of the world population.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Heard a news blurb today that a survey of those waiting to jump on the iphone bandwagon are waiting for the iphone5. Based on the numbers it is now estimated that iphone5 sales will double what previousy was sold in iphone4 numbers.

And they will be calling it the iphone 5g no doubt. I hear that all the time now. "Is that an iphone?" "Yep..the iphone 4g..I love it!" Always brings a chuckle...

I think my wife is about to ditch her iPhone 4 for whatever the next good Android phone released is because of her problems with the OS/iTunes.

Every other time she attaches it to a computer it makes her format or restore as new the device instead of syncing.

This time it didn't even backup before it made her do it. Over 300 Pictures and videos are gone.

Since we had a child 1 month and 2 days ago, this is kind of a big deal.

Edit: looks like in the meantime she's probably going to reactivate her LG Voyager.

Last edited:
It sounds like there is a problem with the phone or the iTunes installation. Have you talked to tech support to see if they can help resolve this?