Suspend Service - Use DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spiderg8r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
If I temporarily suspend service - will I be able to playback recorded shows from my DVR?

The answer is.......maybe. I have heard if you unplug the phone line, satellite, and internet connection before you suspend, you will be able to use the DVR. When you power up your DVR it will begin looking for satellite settings, cancel that process and you should be able to watch your recorded programs.

I have also heard this only works for a couple of weeks and then the DVR refuses to operate without a satellite connection.....

Hopefully someone who has tried this will chime in.....

If it's a Tivo DVR, as long as you disco the sat lines, you can still watch already recorded shows.
If it's a DVR+, eventually you'll be SOL, as already described above.

I had the same question. I have two Directv R-10's DVR's. Would you consider those the Tivo DVR (I am ok) or the DVR+ (I am eventually SOL).

One I own and the other I lease but when I started my lease they said I could buy it out for around $40.00.

Also, what is the difference between suspending service vs. cancelling and would this change the answer to my first question.

I had the same question. I have two Directv R-10's DVR's. Would you consider those the Tivo DVR (I am ok) or the DVR+ (I am eventually SOL).

Tivo's

One I own and the other I lease but when I started my lease they said I could buy it out for around $40.00.

Well if they do NOT let you buy it out, then you'll have to return the unit anyway. (I suspect they will not want it back, but YMMV)

Also, what is the difference between suspending service vs. cancelling and would this change the answer to my first question.

Well both deactivate ALL prog on your receivers, but if you are on contract, if you cancel, you'll get hit with an ETF - if you suspend, it just stops the clock on your comittment until you start up again. Also, I believe you can only keep an account suspended for 6 months max & you can only suspend so many times in a given time period. (not sure about the times)

If I temporarily suspend service - will I be able to playback recorded shows from my DVR?

Highly unlikely. I have a HR22. At the time my Ethernet connection didnt work. so this my belief. When you suspend service it will probably instantly send a signal to the box to disable it all functions. I had an issue where a CSR some how in program changes removed DVR Services only. I was watching a show on the DVR and then I could not fast forward or stop it. Everytime I hit a button it said that the DVR Function was not part of my services. I had to call D* to get it added back in then it resumed.

Highly unlikely. I have a HR22. At the time my Ethernet connection didnt work. so this my belief. When you suspend service it will probably instantly send a signal to the box to disable it all functions. I had an issue where a CSR some how in program changes removed DVR Services only. I was watching a show on the DVR and then I could not fast forward or stop it. Everytime I hit a button it said that the DVR Function was not part of my services. I had to call D* to get it added back in then it resumed.

That's why you disconnect prior to suspending.....and cancel satellite setup when you turn it back on.....

Short answer is this you susp service dvr going to not play recordings.

Heres what happens . When we put an account in susp we wipe all programing from out billing system ( which goes down and wipes all service tiers from the reciver's access card ) DVR service is a service tier. When no dvr service no play.

Now if you unplug the dvr from the satellite connection before you call you will have anywhere from 1 day to approx 2 weeks before it will stop working why such a big difference intime well we send down a singal to the boxes every couple of weeks it happens automatically if the access card does not get a refresh of it programing with in 2 weeks the card will automatically wiht a out a satellite singal drop all service tiers.

Tivos if you do it will still let you play even afte the 2 weeks but will bug you about not having dvr service active.

I get a nag screen all the time on my old tivos often right after i hit play or if I accticently hit the tivo button when watching a record show . or at the end of a record.
I get a little blue banner at the bottom saying please activate dvr service. I hadve 2 DVR40s

I get a nag screen all the time on my old tivos often right after i hit play or if I accticently hit the tivo button when watching a record show . or at the end of a record.
I get a little blue banner at the bottom saying please activate dvr service. I hadve 2 DVR40s

My TIVOs are still connected to the dish, are yours? What version software?
My HR20 and R15 quit a few days after I suspended.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts