SW-64 do's and don'ts - installation questions

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
I am planning to add another receiver for a total of 3 in my home. I currenly have two dual lnbs with sw21s on a Dish500 and would like to add an SW64 to give me a third outlet. When installing it are there any special things I should know? Specifically, is it OK to install it outdoors under the eaves of the house or should I put it in the attic? (we have a very mild dry climate out here). Assuming that grounding is absolutely necessary to make it work properly how long of a run is too long for the ground wire? Can I use that coax with the ground wire attached to it or should I go for #10 copper?

I tried doing a search but came up empty for these specific questions.

Thanks in advance!

dlsnyder said:
I am planning to add another receiver for a total of 3 in my home. I currenly have two dual lnbs with sw21s on a Dish500 and would like to add an SW64 to give me a third outlet. When installing it are there any special things I should know? Specifically, is it OK to install it outdoors under the eaves of the house or should I put it in the attic? (we have a very mild dry climate out here). Assuming that grounding is absolutely necessary to make it work properly how long of a run is too long for the ground wire? Can I use that coax with the ground wire attached to it or should I go for #10 copper?

I tried doing a search but came up empty for these specific questions.

Thanks in advance!
I have mine (SW64) outside on the wall of the house, in the same places I had 2 SW21's until the SHIVIA day addition of the 3rd LNBF set for 148.

I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas, and it's seemed to be fine MOSTLY. I've had the occasional dead port, and E* has replaced the
switch.

As to your grounding issue, I don't know off hand.

I do have the power inserter up inside the house on one of the receivers.

HTH.

Mine is mounted outside on the side of my house with no covering over it. It is grounded using the electric ground. It is was installed about 1 year and half ago? (not sure) I haven't had any problems so far. (knock on wood) Dishdepot sells a enclosure box that I believe it will fit in. Dishstore may have one also.

I have two SW-64s in the attic. I've had two or three lockups over the years, and each time the lockup was cleared by unplugging the power insert and plugging it back in. So you may want to make sure the power insert is in an accessible location.

Thanks for the good info so far everyone. One more question that I may need to ask over in the main Dish forum...

If I call Dish and tell them I am adding a third receiver and order my free wing sat dish at the same time what are the chances they will give me a FREE SW64 installed along with the extra dish? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Oh yes, one more thing. Has anyone had any experience with the Microyal SW-64? Are they any good? They are going pretty cheap on EBay these days.

dlsnyder said:
Thanks for the good info so far everyone. One more question that I may need to ask over in the main Dish forum...

If I call Dish and tell them I am adding a third receiver and order my free wing sat dish at the same time what are the chances they will give me a FREE SW64 installed along with the extra dish? Has anyone had any experience with this?
I had that setup (D500, 2 SW21's, 2 Dual LNBF's), and when they added the 148 dish, they DID give me the SW64. Now, if you are adding a receiver, I don't know what E* will do. I might ask for the 3rd Dish, THEN add the receiver. BUT, I'm not sure.

Anyone else?

THinking of getting a SW-44 as they are cheap on E-Bay.

Do I have to use the 3rd Dish with it? Or will a SW-63 still work with 110 and 119?

LER said:
I had that setup (D500, 2 SW21's, 2 Dual LNBF's), and when they added the 148 dish, they DID give me the SW64. Now, if you are adding a receiver, I don't know what E* will do. I might ask for the 3rd Dish, THEN add the receiver. BUT, I'm not sure.

Anyone else?

Thanks LER, that's good to know. I think maybe I should call Dish first and see what they will do. As long as they don't give me a twin and cascading SW21s I should be good.

dlsnyder said:
Thanks LER, that's good to know. I think maybe I should call Dish first and see what they will do. As long as they don't give me a twin and cascading SW21s I should be good.
Tell them that you MIGHT be adding a 3rd receiver, and can they GUARANTEE the SW64 on the addition of the 3rd LNBF set.

Just an idea.

bobj2004 said:
THinking of getting a SW-44 as they are cheap on E-Bay.

Do I have to use the 3rd Dish with it? Or will a SW-63 still work with 110 and 119?

Which switch are you talking about?

The SW64 allows 3 satellite inputs (110, 119, 148 or 61.5) output to 4 receivers
The SW44 allows 2 satellite inputs (110, 119) output to 4 receivers...basically the same as a quad LNB

yes, you can use a SW64 for 2 satellites and can add one later.

Sw64

Can Some One Tell Me If I Can Use The Sw64 Switch To Get Directv Para Todos 101 And 119 W.i Have A 18 X 24 Directv Old Model?

chepe said:
Can Some One Tell Me If I Can Use The Sw64 Switch To Get Directv Para Todos 101 And 119 W.i Have A 18 X 24 Directv Old Model?

No, the SW64 is not compatible with the DirecTV switching system, which uses a 22KHz tone.

Another solution for a 2 LNB, 1-4 IRD (receiver) install is a Quad LNB.
For 3LNB, 1-4 IRD install, cascade w/ SW21 for each receiver. Quad does not require power inserter.

Wow I kinda lost track of this thread. Lots of good info!

As it turned out Dish did give me a free SW64 with my second dish. The installer was very helpful but said that he hadn't been authorized to install a third line inside my house. He did give me about 50ft of coax so that I could do it myself, which I did. I found it kind of odd that he had never heard about cascading an SW21 off of an SW64 for a four sat legacy solution. He said he gets requests for that all the time but had never had a way to do it before. I guess sometimes we here know more than the installers!

Now I'm set up with my new 508 feeding both my TVs, as well as each TV having its own dedicated box. I never realized how great it could be to have a DVR! :cool:

The trick about the SW21-SW64 cascade is that if you run a SW21 to port 1, the power inserter has to be between the SW21 and the SW64. Either outside (not recommended) or yet another wire (the other side of the SW21 feed) to bring in the house.

Yes, I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. The SW21 would block the voltage that the SW64 is looking for on port 1. There is no restriction to cascading on ports 2 through 4, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)