Swapping External Harddrives

sjf

Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
My external harddrive (attached to a VIP-622) is nearly full. The question I have is: Is it possible to swap between external harddrives without losing the content of either. I would like to remove the full drive, and replace it with an empty one. Then manually swap between the drives as needed. Is this possible? I don't want to experiment and possibly lose 500GB of programming.

THanks
sjf

Great!
Is it really necessary to pull power to the receiver? It's installed in a rack and that would be problematic. (Access to the drive is no problem.) I do have access to the receivers front panel, of course.

Thanks again,
sjf

Great!
Is it really necessary to pull power to the receiver? It's installed in a rack and that would be problematic. (Access to the drive is no problem.) I do have access to the receivers front panel, of course.

Thanks again,
sjf

No. You simply need to disconnect the USB cable from the receiver. You don't have to unplug either drive, etc. You just need to remember that you may only connect one external hard drive to your receiver/DVR at a time.

Is there any switch that allows you to keep them all connected and just switch to the different hard drive to watch content / send content to it so that they dont have to be unhooked / reconnected all the time?

You might find a power strip with individual on/off switches and use a n-way USB combiner/splitter connecter to all. Or, just power all drives and plug in the right USB plugs. I'm doing the latter because I'm feeding 2 722's. One feels a little like a telephone operator of old. But with the modern touch of a computer to organize the shows. Right now I'm rearranging the collection of 2 1TB and 5 750GB drives with both DVRs active, just not getting much sleep and wishing the copying was faster.
-Ken

Does this mean you are moving drives BETWEEN 722's? It was my understanding from a forum entry somewhere that there was a limit in the number of times you could move a drive from one DVR to another.

You might find a power strip with individual on/off switches and use a n-way USB combiner/splitter connecter to all. Or, just power all drives and plug in the right USB plugs. I'm doing the latter because I'm feeding 2 722's. One feels a little like a telephone operator of old. But with the modern touch of a computer to organize the shows. Right now I'm rearranging the collection of 2 1TB and 5 750GB drives with both DVRs active, just not getting much sleep and wishing the copying was faster.
-Ken

Use X10 power control appliance module's and usb hub and choose which external drive you want to power up remotely.

Does this mean you are moving drives BETWEEN 722's? It was my understanding from a forum entry somewhere that there was a limit in the number of times you could move a drive from one DVR to another.

I think thats about moving recorded programs back and forth between internal and external drive and that has a limit of 3 times, or something like that.

As I recall, the poster was replacing his DVR, and moving the external drive from the old DVR to the new one. When he did so, the new DVR said something about "converting" the drive. Somebody said this could only be done 3 times -- presumably to prevent people from sharing programming by trading drives.

I am not aware of any limits regarding moving programs back and forth from internal to external drives.

I have one of these too. I WILL say, NewEgg has the USB/eSATA version on sale right now ($33 after $10 rebate). Even though the ViP series DVRs don't have eSATA, you might as well get the better "dock" for less money. You might use it for something else later.

Here it is:Newegg.com - Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5” & 3.5” USB 2.0 & eSATA - External Enclosures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)