Swapping radios out requires new subscription??

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I swapped radios yesterday going from a plug and play to an in dash tuner when I replaced my Corolla's radio with a factory look-a-like Nav unit with an XM Tuner addon. I was surprised that when I called SiriusXM to swap the radio IDs I couldn't just swap the new ID in place of the old one. I had to deactivate the old radio, add the new one, and start my subscription over. Fortunately the CSR gave me a deal and the difference after my credit was only $12, but I just don't see why they couldn't swap the radios around without it causing me to renew my subscription.

If SiriusXM is reading this I hope they realize this does not look good to the customer.

Its just the way they work. Speaking of non-consumer-friendly, to this day (five years after the relaunch of the combined company and nearly two years after the official merger) they STILL can not put a Sirius and XM radio on the same plan - you need two separate subs (and therefore can not get the reduced price for add'l radios).

Its just the way they work. Speaking of non-consumer-friendly, to this day (five years after the relaunch of the combined company and nearly two years after the official merger) they STILL can not put a Sirius and XM radio on the same plan - you need two separate subs (and therefore can not get the reduced price for add'l radios).

Hopefully soon they will :) Does anyone know the year they combine into 1 company? Thanks for anyone help that know and hope it is soon ;):rolleyes: :)

Lol they officially combined in Jan 2011.. that's when the company known as XM was officially dissolved. Honestly I doubt you'll ever be able to combine accounts. Besides, there's only 2 years left before they abandon the Sirius hardware completely. They decided long ago to use (the superior) XM technology for the 'next generation' radios and service. The Sirius satellite transmitters will be shut down by the end of 2015.

Lol they officially combined in Jan 2011.. that's when the company known as XM was officially dissolved. Honestly I doubt you'll ever be able to combine accounts. Besides, there's only 2 years left before they abandon the Sirius hardware completely. They decided long ago to use (the superior) XM technology for the 'next generation' radios and service. The Sirius satellite transmitters will be shut down by the end of 2015.

But we can hope :D :)

I was in the same situation this afternoon. I bought a radio because mine was having problems, and the box only said SiriusXM and nothing about a specific service (I've had Sirius since 2008) and when I tried to activate it, I was told I had to start an XM account.