Switch from DTV to Dish - Couple of Questions

DungaBee

Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Hello All. I am looking to possibly switch from DirecTV to Dish to save a few bucks a month. But, I have a couple of questions on my potential setup that I am hoping someone can help me with.

Today I have 3 receivers with DirecTV. I am looking to go down to 2 separate signals in the future. What I want to do is have one output of the 2 tuner receivers mirrored to 2 separate TVs in my home. I have a TV in my living room (main TV) and then one in my family room and one in the bedroom. The family room and bedroom are basically never on at the same time so I am thinking mirroring them would be fine. Here are my questions:

1. If I get the 625 DVR and decide I do not like the DVR features, can I turn that subscription/feature off to remove the $6/month fee?

2. Can I get a second UHF remote to put in the bedroom so I can remote control (from a distance) the TV in the family room AND from the bedroom (since they'll both be separated from the receiver by walls and so on)? Will I have to pay for that extra remote or can I request that when I sign up?

3. When I spoke to a local firm they said the installer will likely charge me $30-40 to mirror the one output signal to 2 rooms. I'm pretty good with wiring and so on, so can I set this up in advance? With the wires already in place from the DirecTV install, I may already have what I need, but I am not sure how to 'split' the output signal from the tuner or if it requires any special gear.

As you can see, my main issues are around costs since that's my main motivation in switching to Dish from DirecTV so I want to be sure I am not setting myself up to spend equal or more money when making the move :)

I think that is all I have for now. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond. It's appreciated.

Last edited:
1. No you cant get rid of the DVR fee, but i doubt you will decide that you dont like the feature.

2. Yes you can get a second UHF remote and address it to the same channel. You will have to pay for it.

3. Use a regular splitter (get a good quality splitter), run a coax cable to each room and connect to the output of the splitter. Have the installer then just run TV2 out of 625 to the in on that splitter and it will actually save tech work. I have my 622 TV2 out going to 4 rooms with a few remotes.

Last edited:
If you have wiring in place from direct I would bet the installer would hook up the wires for you for free. He will at least be willing to explain how to you. Be helpful when he comes and do things to hep cut his time. I had this done at my install no problem.
Good luck.

I agree. With a little bit of preparation on your part I doubt that the installer will charge extra for connecting the other rooms. You can always remind him that the Digital Home Advantage promotion entitles you to installation in up to 4 rooms.

hokiecb said:
1. No you cant get rid of the DVR fee, but i doubt you will decide that you dont like the feature.

2. Yes you can get a second UHF remote and address it to the same channel. You will have to pay for it.

3. Use a regular splitter (get a good quality splitter), run a coax cable to each room and connect to the output of the splitter. Have the installer then just run TV2 out of 625 to the in on that splitter and it will actually save tech work. I have my 622 TV2 out going to 4 rooms with a few remotes.
Actually if you went with the America's everything pack there is no DVR fee :)

Of course you can reduce your Directv system to 2 raceivers saving you $5/Mo. and you can split the ch 3/4 output of your existing receiver to the two rooms. That way you won't have to learn new channel numbers. Be very careful to investigate DISH user fees with second tuner fees and DVR fees you could end up spending as much per month.

boba said:
Of course you can reduce your Directv system to 2 raceivers saving you $5/Mo. and you can split the ch 3/4 output of your existing receiver to the two rooms. That way you won't have to learn new channel numbers. Be very careful to investigate DISH user fees with second tuner fees and DVR fees you could end up spending as much per month.

Do your DirecTV receivers have UHF remotes? If not, then you would not be able to control the DTV receiver from another room, unless you bought a remote extender.

As far as second tuner fees, you will only receive that if you do not have the receiver connected to a phone line.

As it turned out my decision was made for me when the Dish installer said he could not find an open line of sight to hook me up. What was bad is that my wife had called earlier in the day to cancel our DTV service :eek:

So, I called DTV and told them I may be leaving but would consider staying based on what they had to offer (they had offered my wife some 'stuff' earlier but she did not remember what). In the end, I was able to get a free DVR, I dropped my plan to plain total choice and got a $5/month rebate on my bill for 12 months to offset the DVR fee. I will say it is frustrating when you are on the phone with them and they first offer the DVR for $100 and then $50 and then for nothing. Makes you wonder what you can get if you just keep haggling. Would be nice if they just said, we'll give you this, take it or leave it.

One of my receivers is UHF compatible (need to find the remote though) and I am planning on using that to do the split between the 2 rooms to eliminate one of the 2 extra receivers. The drop of the plan plus the rebate plus dropping a receiver will bring down my costs a bit, so it is not all bad. Just a bit disappointed that my options are limited, but perhaps Verizon FIOS TV will be around the corner and give me another option. If nothing else maybe it drives down costs of everyone. :)

Thanks for all of your feedback.

That's surprising because it's amost exactly the same LOS for Dish and for DirecTV. Glad you ended up getting a good deal though.

BrianB said:
That's surprising because it's amost exactly the same LOS for Dish and for DirecTV. Glad you ended up getting a good deal though.
DISH's main satellite 119 is 18 degrees west of Directv's 101 so it can be quite a difference depending on where you are located. Good luck with the reconfiguration of your system. Come back and ask questions as needed.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts