switch question

i tested the cable by switching the one hooked up to the LNBs and used it as the one that goes to the tv. i get the dish network logo fine and am able to navigate through to get the switch test screen so I guess the cable is fine. I have no other splices on that cable, just straight connection from LNBs to IRD. I will perform the switch test when I get home and let you know for sure how many cycles it somes up with.

Ok. Just to make sure, on the LNB, you have 3 ports. The left side has 2 the right side has 1. Connect to the left side (the one that has 2) and to the port furthest left. If you are still getting a 38 count, try putting it into the next port. Under no circumstances plug it into the third one on the right. The one on the right is an input for a second dish. If you are still getting a 38 count after this, and you have no splices, and you've checked your connectors, PM me, and I'll see about getting you another DPP Twin. You may have a defective one. And, this may seem elementary, but make certain that the cable that's connected to the receiver is going in to the "Sat In" port, not the antenna port.

i did switch test and it comes up with 1,2,3.... of 38. Once it finishes it says no switch detected. I replaced both ends and I get same outcome. I'm going to get another cable and see what that does. The current wire is running under the house and I don't know what the condition of it is. i took a portable tv outside and hooked it into the end the at LNBs connect to and plugged a VCR player into the under end and I get a picture. I'm lost if it's not a cable issue but it looks fine from when I connected the VCR.

i did switch test and it comes up with 1,2,3.... of 38. Once it finishes it says no switch detected. I replaced both ends and I get same outcome. I'm going to get another cable and see what that does. The current wire is running under the house and I don't know what the condition of it is. i took a portable tv outside and hooked it into the end the at LNBs connect to and plugged a VCR player into the under end and I get a picture. I'm lost if it's not a cable issue but it looks fine from when I connected the VCR.

Well, it can still be a cable problem, even if you get a picture when using it for just video. The signal that a satellite receiver is sending over the cable is different than what a video player is sending. A receiver is sending a high frequency signal along with voltage. It's also a two-way communication, so it's expecting a response back. The cable needs to be in good condition, RG6 with no splitters in line. Splitters allow for video signal to pass through, but block the two way communication needed for a receiver to function. Same with low frequency splices. Try a new piece of cable, if you still have no luck, PM me.

Not sure what is going on. I tried doing a switch test with the old LNBs and the switch21, received error not switch box found. Hooked up the new LNB unit with the built in switch, put cable into first port on the left, did switch test and received same error about no switch box detected. I don't think the cable running under the house is bad because i disconnect the LNB and connect a VCR/DVD combo unit up to it then take the other end and plug it directly into the back of the TV and it works fine.

Before you attempt any pointing or peaking, you need to be able to see the dish from the receiver. It sounds like you're not there yet.

The edge of the dish bracket behind the elevation hash marks should be painted red and it should be abundantly clear what part needs to line up. No guessing or tweaking should be required assuming you've paid attention to the admonitions about a plum mast and an undamaged dish/LNB mounting arm.

I recommend that you find your house using Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and determine your parameters that way.

By all means, keep the SW21 in a tightly closed box and preferably off site so you don't feel compelled to tinker with it. It may work, but it is a completely unnecessary complication. The DPP Twin has all of the features of the SW21 plus a whole lot more built into it.

pk seeing the dish logo on ur tv doesnt mean anything, signal from receiver to TV is analog/non powered
if it is a straight cable with no connectors or barrels in the middle check the connectors make sure that there is no short ( small metal hairs not touching the copper wire )
try the different port on the DP Plus (not the one by it self, the second one from left)
if all else fails the DP plus is bad
another way of checking if ur cable run is bad, get a small cable that you know is good and has no problems.. get the lnb by the receiver and run a check switch,, if it counts to 3 ur problem is in the cable
if it counts to 38 then ur problem is either lnb or receiver

Seems it was a bad cable running under the house. I hooked the LNB up and ran a new cable outside through a window then did another switch test and it detected it that time. I then proceeded to align the dish and not even 20 seconds later I had signal. So when the weather gets warmer I will get under the house and run a new cable. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Seems it was a bad cable running under the house. I hooked the LNB up and ran a new cable outside through a window then did another switch test and it detected it that time. I then proceeded to align the dish and not even 20 seconds later I had signal. So when the weather gets warmer I will get under the house and run a new cable. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

No problem. Happy to help. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)