Looking for 100 HD channels at years end?

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Whatever happened to the "100 channels by years end?" DirecTV has 6 Showtime HD movie channels alone? Why can't Dish put on more than 1 Showtime HD channel?
It's not worth the $14.98. You get a better bargain by taking HBO HD with 6 channels of HD. Then there's FX HD and a score of other HD channels just sitting out there and Dish seems to be asleep at the wheel or whatever it is they have...

Last count of REAL HD channels in my book is 73.

This question has been asked over and over again.

I have 2 answers 1) a new sat has been launched at will most likely provide added HD in Feb.

2) Soon

Whatever happened to the "100 channels by years end?" DirecTV has 6 Showtime HD movie channels alone? Why can't Dish put on more than 1 Showtime HD channel?
It's not worth the $14.98. You get a better bargain by taking HBO HD with 6 channels of HD. Then there's FX HD and a score of other HD channels just sitting out there and Dish seems to be asleep at the wheel or whatever it is they have...

That was 150 channels then changed to up to 150 channels by years end.

It's 7:25 PM right now on New Years Eve. That 73 number looks more real to me than what anyone else has mentioned so they are not even up to half of what they were trying to claim where they would be by now.

the best thing about tomorrow is that we don't have to see any more of these "they said by years end blah blah blah" theads! :rolleyes:

I recorded the Houston - Air Force football game today and watched it earlier tonight. There was a commercial for Dish Network. The commercial had a screen showing 120 channels of HD. I replayed it and did not see the "up to 150 channels" in that commercial.

That's about right, and some of them have very little HD programming. I even noticed that ESPN2 was carrying an upconverted version of the Louisville-UNLV basketball game this evening.

My 9 year old granddaughter was watching the HD Disney kids channel recently and switched over from the upconverted HD channel to the regular SD channel because she thought it was a better picture. I thought she was right, that upconversion was not well done. The upconversion on that Louisville game today was nothing to brag about either. I was extremely disappointed in the quality of that picture.

The upconversion on CBSC-HD is usually quite good. The picture quality on the original HD programming on the non-rhyming V*** channel was almost always excellent. HDNet and HDTheater has good quality HD also. ESPN HD original programming is usually good but sometimes seems to be bit starved.

Part of the problem in getting to 100 to 150 HD channels is getting actual HD programming. Taking a 480i original in 4:3 ratio, then zooming or stretching it and upconverting it to HD just provides a really crappy picture. Certainly a DVD at 540P is better quality.

Those black and white films on TCM should sparkle when TCM goes HD. That channel is on my HD wish list.:)

Happy days,
Fitzie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)