Switch to Direct or stay with Dish?

I have been a Dish Customer for 6 years still using the original 522 they gave me.
Its starting to have problems will bad recordings and I was wanting to upgrade it as well as maybe move to HD
I'm only a Top 120 with a $47 monthly bill on paperless and auto pay.
Direct TV has been sending me lots of offers and I'm almost read to bite on the 2 year promo they have for Choice Extra 210 with free HD for life and a HD-DVR. 3 months free starz & showtime. Free equipment and free install. Monthly bill will be $41.00 first year and $56.99 2nd year. Full price is currently $63.99 and I have to take a 2 year contract to get the discounts.
Called Dish and they will give me a 722 HD-DVR and new dish for $95 plus another $99 for Installation. Monthly bill will goto $60 for the top 120 and HD,DVR fee.
I told them the Deal Direct was offering me and the Rep became snotty telling me that was a first year only deal. I told her it was actually a 2 year promo and even full rate on the 3rd year was only $3.99 higher than Dish wanted for less channels with the 120 package.
She said if I signup for DHPP the Install will only be $15 but that was the extent of any special offers she would give me.

I assume they are both about the same in what they offer on the basic channel packages and HD content.
Is their any reason I shouldn't switch to Direct in this situation?
one worry I have is i notice a couple homes in my Area have two direct TV dishes and I really don't want more than 1 dish on the house. My currect dish is mounted to a Block wall on the side of the house and I like that location for it. Not sure direct could do the same and it's hard to get thoes kinds of details inadvance of ordering.
Where do you live? Two DirecTV dishes? They must have international? DirecTV does not need two dishes as all birds are pretty much directly in the center of the country over the equator (from 99 to 103). Texas is wider than that.

I have been thinking of switching also but with Direct I do not think you get full DVR functionality in each room unless you have a DVR in that room. I think you can watch and program recordings from a non dvr that are on a conected dvr but I do not think you can pause live tv from a non dvr unit

You are correct but there is a work around. You just have to start the recording from the standard HD receiver and then begin playback of the program.

Where do you live? Two DirecTV dishes? They must have international? DirecTV does not need two dishes as all birds are pretty much directly in the center of the country over the equator (from 99 to 103). Texas is wider than that.

It's possible the 2nd dish was for SD locals off of 72, I know my sister had one of these.

I have been a Dish Customer for 6 years still using the original 522 they gave me.
Its starting to have problems will bad recordings and I was wanting to upgrade it as well as maybe move to HD
I'm only a Top 120 with a $47 monthly bill on paperless and auto pay.
Direct TV has been sending me lots of offers and I'm almost read to bite on the 2 year promo they have for Choice Extra 210 with free HD for life and a HD-DVR. 3 months free starz & showtime. Free equipment and free install. Monthly bill will be $41.00 first year and $56.99 2nd year. Full price is currently $63.99 and I have to take a 2 year contract to get the discounts.
Called Dish and they will give me a 722 HD-DVR and new dish for $95 plus another $99 for Installation. Monthly bill will goto $60 for the top 120 and HD,DVR fee.
I told them the Deal Direct was offering me and the Rep became snotty telling me that was a first year only deal. I told her it was actually a 2 year promo and even full rate on the 3rd year was only $3.99 higher than Dish wanted for less channels with the 120 package.
She said if I signup for DHPP the Install will only be $15 but that was the extent of any special offers she would give me.

I assume they are both about the same in what they offer on the basic channel packages and HD content.
Is their any reason I shouldn't switch to Direct in this situation?
one worry I have is i notice a couple homes in my Area have two direct TV dishes and I really don't want more than 1 dish on the house. My currect dish is mounted to a Block wall on the side of the house and I like that location for it. Not sure direct could do the same and it's hard to get thoes kinds of details inadvance of ordering.

If you go to a 722 only and get the HD free promo, your bill should only be $45.99 and then some tax. I'm not sure where you get $60 from?

If that is the case you would be correct then. Customer would have to look at what they would get for equipment with DirecTV. If you want DVR on 2 TVs it's gonna cost you. Dish has the best 2 room set-up in my opinion.

If that is the case you would be correct then. Customer would have to look at what they would get for equipment with DirecTV. If you want DVR on 2 TVs it's gonna cost you. Dish has the best 2 room set-up in my opinion.
Not if you want HD DVR in both rooms.

With Direct it is $5 for each additional receiver regardless of type. An extra HD DVR is $5 + $7 DVR fee = $12. Three extra HD DVRs it will $5+$5+$7= $17

"If you don't see it, the two year deal will show up when you go into your cart. There you can see your pricing for two years. "

I'm zip 60047 and don't see $14 2nd year, and there's nothing in my cart about 2nd year pricing. One of those 'agent chat' windows came on so I asked and was told "TS", different specials for different parts of the country. I also asked which satellites could be used with a possibly obstructed Southwest view, and he/she couldn't answer the question. I was kind and closed the chat before they gave me a survey to answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)