Switch to Eastern Arc?

tsutton002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I've searched and searched but can't find a definitive answer. I'm in SW Ohio (Cincinnati DMA) with a Dish 1000 pointed to 110/119/129. Last year Cincy HD locals were put on 77 (SD are on 110 I think). I didn't bother to complain because I can get strong Cincy+Dayton HD OTA signals with my 211 and 622. Now my wife and I are butting heads since we both want to watch/record/pause different OTA HD channels at the same time on the same TV. I can switch to the TV's HD tuner but then you can't pause the show for the occasional beer run or bathroom break.

So, is there any reason to not ask for an upgrade to the Eastern arc? Any channels lost, reduced quality, etc. to consider? I'd prefer to not add a wing dish so it would be a 1000.4. All my receivers are vip's and my switch is a DPP44.

Thanks in advance...

I would say upgrade to the 1000.4. Your equipment is all compatible and picture quality is the same. Eastern Arc and Western Arc have the same national channels available.

Also, you can have the tech bring a power inserter at the same time:p. Or you could ditch the DPP44 altogether. The 1000.4 can support up to 3 DPP (dual tuner) receivers.

Out of curiousity. If I ditched the DPP44 I would still have three lines coming into the house but each incoming coax would simply attach to an existing cable that runs to each receiver? Then I'd just use a separator at each dual tuner receiver (just say I had 3 622s) to feed sat1 and sat2? I assume I could still send OTA to the receivers using diplexers and backfeed the 622 TV2 over the same coax?

Thanks - you guys are great...

"Out of curiousity. If I ditched the DPP44 I would still have three lines coming into the house but each incoming coax would simply attach to an existing cable that runs to each receiver? Then I'd just use a separator at each dual tuner receiver (just say I had 3 622s) to feed sat1 and sat2?"

Correct

"I assume I could still send OTA to the receivers using diplexers and backfeed the 622 TV2 over the same coax?"

You can use the diplexers for either the antenna or the backfeed but not both. The backfeed and the antenna use some of the same frequencies and this could cause interfence.

Also, if you upgraded to a 722k with an OTA module you would then be able to record 2 OTA channels + 2 sat. channels. Plus TV2 would then be able to receive the OTA channels.

"You can use the diplexers for either the antenna or the backfeed but not both"

They may use the same frequencies but it does work. I do have to be careful to output TV2 on the right channel or I get a terrible pic on the remote TVs. I'm using an amp/power inserter to boost the OTA signal since I have it split so many ways - hopefully I'm not broadcasting TV2 out the antenna - the FCC would probably frown on that!

"if you upgraded to a 722k with an OTA module you would then be able to record 2 OTA channels + 2 sat. channels"

I thought the 722k was the same as a 622 except it had a larger hard drive and black enclosure. The literature on the 722 also seems to indicate it only has one OTA tuner. Am I wrong on that?

Oh, I'm getting a 1000.4 installed tomorrow - finally I'll be able to record one HD show OTA while watching another HD local coming from sat 77.

The 722 is the same as the 622 except for the larger HD & color--it comes with one OTA tuner.
The 722K has the same size HD and color (black) as the 722 BUT OTA is optional with a TWO tuner OTA module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)