Switch to HDTV install Questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassithound

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Hi,
I currently have regular Directv, with the dual LNB dish. The dish connects to a multiswitch, which I have four cable runs going to the TV's. When I upgrade to HDTV, I will need the Triple LNB dish, which already has 4 connections, so I assume I won't need the multiswitch. My question is, if I run the 4 cables from the new dish down to the area my existing multiswitch is, what do I need to connect to the existing cables so I dont have to rerun cable to the various rooms.

Also, can I use the existing bracket on the dual LNB for the Triple LNB, so I don't have to drill into my roof again. It is the standard Directv dish that came with their offers about 4 years ago.

TIA
Dave

bassithound said:
My question is, if I run the 4 cables from the new dish down to the area my existing multiswitch is, what do I need to connect to the existing cables so I dont have to rerun cable to the various rooms.
Also, can I use the existing bracket on the dual LNB for the Triple LNB, so I don't have to drill into my roof again.

You should be able to use a regular barrel connector. Just be sure it's rated for the DBS frequencies and voltages. You can't use the current bracket. The new one is larger. Just have the installer remove the pole from the old bracket and leave it in place. That way you won't have to worry about sealing existing holes and possible water leakage.

Are you sure of that, dervari? I believe that the OP is getting an Oval 3 LNB dish, and I believe that has the same mount as the round dish. It's only the 5 LNB dish for MPEG 4 locals that has a larger mount/bracket.

bassithound said:
Hi,
I currently have regular Directv, with the dual LNB dish. The dish connects to a multiswitch, which I have four cable runs going to the TV's. When I upgrade to HDTV, I will need the Triple LNB dish, which already has 4 connections, so I assume I won't need the multiswitch. My question is, if I run the 4 cables from the new dish down to the area my existing multiswitch is, what do I need to connect to the existing cables so I dont have to rerun cable to the various rooms.
Also, can I use the existing bracket on the dual LNB for the Triple LNB, so I don't have to drill into my roof again. It is the standard Directv dish that came with their offers about 4 years ago.
TIA
Dave

Yhea you will be able to just take the old dish off the mast and put the new one on taking into consideration that 110 and 119 is not blocked.

Newshawk said:
Are you sure of that, dervari? I believe that the OP is getting an Oval 3 LNB dish, and I believe that has the same mount as the round dish. It's only the 5 LNB dish for MPEG 4 locals that has a larger mount/bracket.

My bad...I thought he was going for MPEG4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.