Switched to Dish on 7/4 already want to go back. Info needed pls

Tirade

Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Picture this... its July 4th, you live in AL, its 95 degrees outside and youre getting Dish installed.

Big Problems:

1. While he stomped around in my attic and was climbing over my air return back and forth he apparently stepped on the wires going from the control box to the return and yanked them out of the return. This was only discovered 4 hours later when coming home from a cookout the house was 91 inside and the air didnt work. I had to call an air guy to come out for a holiday emergency after hours service call.

2. LUCKILY I have not cancelled DirecTV because it has rained the last 3 days and even with just a sprinkle we are losing some of our stations (ironically the Weather channel is one of them). With 5 years of DTV Ive had rain fade ONCE.

Minor Problems:

1. He refused to use the Directv TV mount I had (although it was much sturdier than the Dish one). 4 new holes in my roof and leaving me to come back later and patch all of the old holes from where he removed the DTV mount. Of course as I mentioned its rained the last 3 days and we now have water in the attic of a 2 year old house.

2. What should have been a 1 hour install took 3 because it took him an hour to realize he had not connected the cables to the dish before he came down (honest mistake I know). Due to removing all of the old DTV stuff though Ive now got to pay DTV for a service call to reinstall everything.

Not only did this happen but I immediately called the install # to which they said the local office was closed and they would email them to call me Monday, but after being transferred 5 times by Dish I was told Id receive a call Monday and I never heard from anyone. Ill be damned if they arent covering the cost of this AC service call.

So despite the fact that Im fired up my wife wants me to calm down and consider keeping Dish. First things first Ive got to deal with this rain fade BS.

I assume I am eastern arc because the test only shows signal on 61.5, 72 and 77. Im not sure why the instaler choose transponder 13 to do his testing but Im sitting at:

61.5 = 82
72 = 58
77 = 58

Its clear as a bell outside right now for these readings. Im not sure if they are good or not because of Dish's cryptic signal meter scale. If I try to check the details it only shows information for 110,119 and 129 which of course are all 0.

Can anyone shed some light here on these signal #'s ? and can anyone offer advice on getting this AC service call reimbursed? Claude is who I went through for the order, it might be worth contacting him to see what he can do. I dunno.

Definately not happy ATM.

Unless you already cancelled DISH you are probably too late to avoid the Early Termination Fee. Usually after 3 days you are stuck. From the old satellites DISH moved into the Eastern Arc and the new scale on the DISH receivers your signals are pretty good for AL.

Just curious, what promted the change in the first place and how long were you with Direct?

Mast sizes are different, hence having to use a different mount.

Just curious, what promted the change in the first place and how long were you with Direct?

Was with DirecTV for 5 years but left because Im tired of not having my locals in HD (Im near a mnt so even with an antenna Im not able to get all the locals).

Unless you already cancelled DISH you are probably too late to avoid the Early Termination Fee. Usually after 3 days you are stuck. From the old satellites DISH moved into the Eastern Arc and the new scale on the DISH receivers your signals are pretty good for AL.

I'll dispute the charges on my Amex in a heartbeat and I'll still be sending them the bill for this AC service call. I called the day of the install so there is a ticket generated for the call.

I'll dispute the charges on my Amex in a heartbeat and I'll still be sending them the bill for this AC service call. I called the day of the install so there is a ticket generated for the call.

Goodluck in getting them to pay for the service call for you A/C repairs. Let us know how you make out with that.:rant:

Why in the hell would would you make someone come out to do an install on a major holiday such as the 4th of July? Seriously, what has this world come to! Now I can understand having someone come out for a trouble call. After all, if you are paying for service that you aren't getting, it should be repaired as soon as possible. And most trouble calls can be completed in much less time. But making someone come to do a new install on the 4th is just plain disrespectful in my opinion. God forbid anyone get time off to enjoy a holiday anymore. No one ever stops to think that the guy coming to your house might have a family that he should be with instead. You brought this trouble upon yourself.

Picture this... its July 4th, you live in AL, its 95 degrees outside and youre getting Dish installed.

Big Problems:

1. While he stomped around in my attic and was climbing over my air return back and forth he apparently stepped on the wires going from the control box to the return and yanked them out of the return. This was only discovered 4 hours later when coming home from a cookout the house was 91 inside and the air didnt work. I had to call an air guy to come out for a holiday emergency after hours service call.

2. LUCKILY I have not cancelled DirecTV because it has rained the last 3 days and even with just a sprinkle we are losing some of our stations (ironically the Weather channel is one of them). With 5 years of DTV Ive had rain fade ONCE.

Minor Problems:

1. He refused to use the Directv TV mount I had (although it was much sturdier than the Dish one). 4 new holes in my roof and leaving me to come back later and patch all of the old holes from where he removed the DTV mount. Of course as I mentioned its rained the last 3 days and we now have water in the attic of a 2 year old house.

2. What should have been a 1 hour install took 3 because it took him an hour to realize he had not connected the cables to the dish before he came down (honest mistake I know). Due to removing all of the old DTV stuff though Ive now got to pay DTV for a service call to reinstall everything.

Not only did this happen but I immediately called the install # to which they said the local office was closed and they would email them to call me Monday, but after being transferred 5 times by Dish I was told Id receive a call Monday and I never heard from anyone. Ill be damned if they arent covering the cost of this AC service call.

So despite the fact that Im fired up my wife wants me to calm down and consider keeping Dish. First things first Ive got to deal with this rain fade BS.

I assume I am eastern arc because the test only shows signal on 61.5, 72 and 77. Im not sure why the instaler choose transponder 13 to do his testing but Im sitting at:

61.5 = 82
72 = 58
77 = 58

Its clear as a bell outside right now for these readings. Im not sure if they are good or not because of Dish's cryptic signal meter scale. If I try to check the details it only shows information for 110,119 and 129 which of course are all 0.

Can anyone shed some light here on these signal #'s ? and can anyone offer advice on getting this AC service call reimbursed? Claude is who I went through for the order, it might be worth contacting him to see what he can do. I dunno.

Definately not happy ATM.

Haha, that's what you get for making someone come out on the 4th to install a system (no matter what company it is).

Karma's a bitch, huh??

But making someone come to do a new install on the 4th is just plain disrespectful in my opinion. God forbid anyone get time off to enjoy a holiday anymore. No one ever stops to think that the guy coming to your house might have a family that he should be with instead. You brought this trouble upon yourself.
I completely agree that the installer should have had the day off but it's his employer (or Dish) who feels it is necessary to work 7 days a week. That said, the installer should do the same quality work he/she would do any other day of the week.

I do recall scheduling an upgrade for something from Dish in the past and they offered me a Sunday appointment. Hmmm, works great for me, meaning I don't have to take a day off work... I told them "no, it can wait until Tuesday ... I don't need anything installed on a Sunday". It fell on deaf ears, of course, but maybe, just maybe enough customers thought the same as I did and the local company didn't have every installer working.

I suggest giving Claude a call; he seems to be a good guy...
What can Claude do ? For those that think otherwise, unless you live in the Detroit area, if you order from him, the same installers that Dish would use if you ordered direct will be the ones showing up.

Why in the hell would would you make someone come out to do an install on a major holiday such as the 4th of July?

The same reason i did upgrades on thanksgiving, installs on Christmas and 6 jobs on new years, welcome to dish. We don't take holidays for you. On my 4th i left the shop at 9pm, after doing 3 installs and helping 2 other techs.

Im so sick of... "Dish makes you work on.......(insert holiday here)?????"

NO YOU DO, THEY TELL YOU THE DAY, YOU CHOOSE THE DAY!!!

sorry little rant.

Wow, I really don't understand getting pissed at the guy for scheduling an install on the 4th. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that is just because I wouldn't want to interupt my holiday. But if it works for you and Dish offers installs on that day then I see zero problem with booking that. Because it is a holiday gives the guy no right to do a crappy job. If you don't like the job's requirements then find another one. It isn't a secret that Dish schedules installs on most holidays. If you don't take pride in your work, why are you doing it? No one told you that you can only work at Dish. This is America, you can be anything you want to be. Even in these times of high unemployement there are loads of jobs to be had by people that are willing to bust their ass and work hard for a solid day's pay.

sorry little rant... :rolleyes:

Why in the hell would would you make someone come out to do an install on a major holiday such as the 4th of July? Seriously, what has this world come to! Now I can understand having someone come out for a trouble call. After all, if you are paying for service that you aren't getting, it should be repaired as soon as possible. And most trouble calls can be completed in much less time. But making someone come to do a new install on the 4th is just plain disrespectful in my opinion. God forbid anyone get time off to enjoy a holiday anymore. No one ever stops to think that the guy coming to your house might have a family that he should be with instead. You brought this trouble upon yourself.

Haha, that's what you get for making someone come out on the 4th to install a system (no matter what company it is).

Karma's a bitch, huh??

It is the customers fault that he got a crappy install because E* scheduled the install on a holiday? Really?

It would suck to work on that day, sure, but I have done it. Other holidays too. Who is to say that particular installer did not get a few days off before, or maybe he got a few days off after? It is a job. Do it correctly no matter when you happen to be doing it.

My point is, not the customers fault

Im not saying its the cust fault he got a crappy install, infact looking at the signals he seems good to me. anything over 50 he shouldn't have any signal issues IF its new meter.

Im just saying that people are surpised that dish works its techs on holidays. (not most, ALL) we do the best we can.

My favorite are the people that think they can ask for an install on a holiday and expect us to work around their party or whatever they have planned. If u think im going to carry my 28 foot ladder around 30 people with cars and be forced to park 3 blocks away ur crazy. we will come back another day.

And are you an installer how did you know the install should only taken 1 hr? do u know that just installing some of dish's recievers can take a hr just to d/l, activate, and program?

To the OP, were you home during this install? I only ask because you mentioned that you did not notice the AC until after you got home from a cookout. I assume you were, but just curious.

In any case, it would be hard to actually prove he was responsible, even though it appears that way. More than likely you will just be out the cost of that yourself.

As far as cancelling and having to pay the fee, I would just call and talk to them. They may work it out with you, or they may come out and do everything correctly if given the chance.

Hope it works out for you

Im not saying its the cust fault he got a crappy install, infact looking at the signals he seems good to me. anything over 50 he shouldn't have any signal issues IF its new meter.

Im just saying that people are surpised that dish works its techs on holidays. (not most, ALL) we do the best we can.

My favorite are the people that think they can ask for an install on a holiday and expect us to work around their party or whatever they have planned. If u think im going to carry my 28 foot ladder around 30 people with cars and be forced to park 3 blocks away ur crazy. we will come back another day.
And I can understand your point here. The installer and the customer have to find some common ground somewhere:up

I cant understand the two posters I quoted though. Its karma? Thats what you get?
Like lakebum said, it is a job. When you are having to do it does not excuse a crappy job, and if one does not like the job description, they are more than welcome to find employment elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)