Switched to YouTube TV!

DaveKL69

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Beaver Dam KY
I posted in DirecTV thread but thought it fit in here too. We are dropping DirecTV. We are 10 days into a 2-week free preview of YouTube TV and will be going to it permanently. Canceling DirecTV after the 2 wk, and then canceling YouTube TV, and will subscribe to it permanently with our new T-Mobile discount of $10/mo for a year discount. Will save $30.15/mo more than the $104 was paying for DirecTV (and yeah that included a $20/mo /mo discount that I was in for a year plan due to our loyalty to DirecTV). That includes my subscription to HBO Max, had with DirecTV,will continue for now with YouTube TV. That will be a savings of $361.80 for 1 year! I'd save even more if I drop HBO Max, which may due.

Reactions: ncted
Plus the picture quality and sound quality are as good as, if not better than DirecTV. My main gripe is the DVR, having to record every thing, reruns, old reruns from other networks, for example, current Family Feud episodes, reruns and older reruns from GSN. Same thing for the Lw & Order series, etc. Hopefully, the rumored changes to their DVR will take place. Also find it silly that you can't delete watched episodes. Also only being able to customize the Guide and mark episodes "watched" on your phone or computer.
I do hope that in the future, YouTube TV will add Magnolia Network, maybe the Vizio channels, a CW channel, or start having my local WTVW Channel 7 CW channel at least. I have the app, but I miss some of the syndicated shows on the channel mainly People's Court.

Plus the picture quality and sound quality are as good as, if not better than DirecTV. My main gripe is the DVR, having to record every thing, reruns, old reruns from other networks, for example, current Family Feud episodes, reruns and older reruns from GSN. Same thing for the Lw & Order series, etc. Hopefully, the rumored changes to their DVR will take place. Also find it silly that you can't delete watched episodes. Also only being able to customize the Guide and mark episodes "watched" on your phone or computer.
The pain of how their DVR works is offset by the better picture/sound and the much better price, especially after DirecTV‘s recent $8-10 price increase.

Also remember, YTTV does not charge for the DVR and up to 3 TVs, does take some learning, but since DirecTV’s average monthly cost is going to be $140 a month, it is worth it to learn.

Also, if you have any Credit Cards with points, you could check out if Google Play cards are available.

Both my PNC Visa and my Amazon Credit Cards offer Gift Cards for Streaming Services, so if you use points, the cost then are zero.

I did this with YTTV, Hulu, Paramount+ and Netflix.

Reactions: MacDawg
a CW channel, or start having my local WTVW Channel 7 CW channel at least. I have the app, but I miss some of the syndicated shows on the channel mainly People's Court.
depends on the market and the owner of the station. Minneapolis CW (WUCW...SInclair owned) is on YTTV. My market uses the CW+ and that is not carried. I do have CW but its VOD only

When I put in an Evansville zip it says CW but that must be just the VOD service

I posted in DirecTV thread but thought it fit in here too. We are dropping DirecTV. We are 10 days into a 2-week free preview of YouTube TV and will be going to it permanently. Canceling DirecTV after the 2 wk, and then canceling YouTube TV, and will subscribe to it permanently with our new T-Mobile discount of $10/mo for a year discount. Will save $30.15/mo more than the $104 was paying for DirecTV (and yeah that included a $20/mo /mo discount that I was in for a year plan due to our loyalty to DirecTV). That includes my subscription to HBO Max, had with DirecTV,will continue for now with YouTube TV. That will be a savings of $361.80 for 1 year! I'd save even more if I drop HBO Max, which may due.
I have tried YTTV and didn't like the DVR. Even though I had it set to record episodes of my favorite series, on occasion I found that I only had the VOD version and was forced to watch commercials. I really didn't like the interface.

Also it had way more channels than I watch and I didn't think it was worth $65 a month. Now I use Philo and am very happy so far with only a $25 per month bill. I don't need Fox News or CNN.

I have tried YTTV and didn't like the DVR. Even though I had it set to record episodes of my favorite series, on occasion I found that I only had the VOD version and was forced to watch commercials. I really didn't like the interface.

Also it had way more channels than I watch and I didn't think it was worth $65 a month. Now I use Philo and am very happy so far with only a $25 per month bill. I don't need Fox News or CNN.
I have Philo too and I am very happy with it. I never tried YTTV - too expensive and I wouldn't watch most of the channels.

Reactions: N6BY
I switched from DTV to YTV about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. One other advantage of streaming is that you can place your T.V.'s anywhere in a room. Your not locked into a cable outlet.
Yep, with all of streaming, I have a outdoor theater ( watching it now while on the life cycle), just wifi to the Roku, no coaxial anywhere near.

I believe they just updated the app for the Roku.

Usually when I exit the app, I hit the home button on the Roku Remote, then when I start it back up go to Live and find the channel I wish to watch.

Yesterday, watching Fox Business while on the LifeCycle, once done, hit home, turn off Projector and Receiver.

Today, turn on, normal home screen for the Roku, hit YTTV app and then Fox Business was still playing in background of YTTV home screen , it has been playing since yesterday, the red counter at the bottom was full and I was able to go back hours.

So, to play around with it just to make sure I did not do something wrong, I hit home, went to hulu, watched a episode of Big Sky, hit home, went to YTTV and Fox Business is still going live.

And yes, I checked the DVR to see if somehow everything was set to record, nope, nothing scheduled, I never use the DVR anyways.

I noticed somewhat similar behavior on AppleTV just yesteday. When I opened the app after it had been unused for a day, it was still on the last channel watched when the app opened which is not what it usually does, although I didn't check to see if the live buffer was still there.

I noticed somewhat similar behavior on AppleTV just yesteday. When I opened the app after it had been unused for a day, it was still on the last channel watched when the app opened which is not what it usually does, although I didn't check to see if the live buffer was still there.
Same here again, I just returned from the Gym and Grocery Shopping, started it up, last channel watched still going, I could rewind if I wish.

I will use my Google TV app on the Sony next and see if it does the same thing.

I do hope that in the future, YouTube TV will add Magnolia Network
Just FYI, HBO Max now includes some of those Magnolia Network shows. And I think some of them debut on HBO Max the same time they do on Magnolia. I believe that was the case with the Fixer Upper: The Castle show that I watched in Dec.

Hmm, I seem to have only noticed that happening with the YTTV app for either Android TV or Apple TV when I've gone back to it the same day/within a couple hours. I don't recall it ever still having the live channel paused and buffered the next day. Not sure why anyone would want that TBH.

Hmm, I seem to have only noticed that happening with the YTTV app for either Android TV or Apple TV when I've gone back to it the same day/within a couple hours. I don't recall it ever still having the live channel paused and buffered the next day. Not sure why anyone would want that TBH.
It is not paused, it just keeps running like you left it on, you can rewind it if you wish.

It is not paused, it just keeps running like you left it on, you can rewind it if you wish.
Oh, weird. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. It always pauses the live feed when I exit the app. That said, I don't use YTTV that often, so I wouldn't necessarily know if they're experimenting with changes in how the app behaves.

Oh, weird. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. It always pauses the live feed when I exit the app. That said, I don't use YTTV that often, so I wouldn't necessarily know if they're experimenting with changes in how the app behaves.
Still doing it, not a big big deal for me either, only thing I use it for is the news, Football I will watch streaming for the better quality, shows I watch on the services.

For example, now watching Big Sky Season 3 on Hulu instead of ABC, because it is in real 1080P and DD+ sound.

And again, if I paid real money for YTTV, I would not have it.

Did not want to start a new thread-

Have you noticed the picture quality on your YouTube TV is improving? Did things seem to be less pixelated last night? You are not alone reports have been coming in that Google has increased the bitrate on YouTube TV to improve its picture quality.

This improvement should help make watching sports a lot more enjoyable. Now you should notice that the image on the screen is a lot smoother as players move across the screen or a ball is thrown. This should also help owners with large screens get a better image.

Just in time for Sunday Ticket in roughly 6 months.

Did not want to start a new thread-

Have you noticed the picture quality on your YouTube TV is improving? Did things seem to be less pixelated last night? You are not alone reports have been coming in that Google has increased the bitrate on YouTube TV to improve its picture quality.

This improvement should help make watching sports a lot more enjoyable. Now you should notice that the image on the screen is a lot smoother as players move across the screen or a ball is thrown. This should also help owners with large screens get a better image.

Just in time for Sunday Ticket in roughly 6 months.

Not yet, but hopefully soon.

When a program keeps playing after you turn your roku off, are you using up your allowed Gigabit allotment from your internet provider.