Switches and cascading

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rialdo

Original poster
May 6, 2004
Dayton, OH
From: Post 10 in http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=38232

There are two types of DiSEqC switches... committed and uncommitted. Most of the existing switches we're using are committed. Uncommitted is for cascading switches to add more than 4 LNBFs.

How can you tell what kind of switch it is?

I have several and none have any indication of committed or uncommitted.

I have one dish on a rotor and I have several fixed dishes for my 'regularly watched' satellites. The fixed dishes I use a DiSEqC switch which is on the roof near the dishes, but to get the rotor dish I have to use an 'A/B' coax switch. I tried a 22KHx switch (I have a Coolsat 5000) but when I put that in the dish rotor won't move. I assume there isn't enough voltage (it's about a 50' run to my motorized dish and it's about an 80' run to my DiSEqC switch and the dish array) to run the rotor. Also I would like to be able to use my quad LNB so I really need the 22KHz to change from lineal to circular.

Any ideas?

if it doesnt say 'uncommited' then its commited.

99.9% of diseqc switch's out there are commited switch;s, uncommited are harder to find, but very usefull.

Ive also expereinced the same thing

coolsat 5000 -> motor -> 22khz -> qph-031 = wont move
coolsat 5000 -> motor -> 4x1 -> qph-031 = works awesome

unsure why that is, others with the exact same setup say it works for them no problem.

so now I just use a cheita 4x1 switch and only use two of the four ports

My working setup is:

Coolsat --> A/B switch --> with A --> DiSEqC switch at the dishes on the roof --> 3 ports used
Coolsat --> A/B switch --> with B --> motor --> LNB

If I set it to:

Coolsat --> 22KHz switch (off) --> with A --> DiSEqC switch --> 3 ports used
Coolsat --> 22KHz switch (on) --> with B --> motor --> LNB

If I change the Coolsat settings to 22KHz On for the motorized dish with the A/B switch set to B the dish will move, but if I put the 22KHz switch (22KHz switch port --> DiSEqC switch --> LNBs) inline instead of the A/B switch it won't. That's why I assumed the 22KHz switch takes too much voltage (amps or whatever).

The CHIETA 4x1 is a DiSEqC switch so that doesn't help. Is there a way to cascade 2 DiSEqC switches?

weird. I have the same setup and it works just fine

its definitly wierd as the switch is *after* the motor it shouldnt effect it.

I havent re-tried the same scenario now that I have a mercury II controlling my motor, but Im sure the fortec wouldnt have a problem. maybe I just had a funky 5000 I dont know.

the 22khz switch worked fine on the 5000 like this

5000 -> 22khz -> qph-031

but add the motor and the motor wouldnt turn, I thought I had a defective motor when I first got it, then it worked fine with the 4x1 so I dont know, maybe it is defective, I dont know.

If I set it to:

Coolsat --> 22KHz switch (off) --> with A --> DiSEqC switch --> 3 ports used
Coolsat --> 22KHz switch (on) --> with B --> motor --> LNB

If I change the Coolsat settings to 22KHz On for the motorized dish with the A/B switch set to B the dish will move, but if I put the 22KHz switch (22KHz switch port --> DiSEqC switch --> LNBs) inline instead of the A/B switch it won't. That's why I assumed the 22KHz switch takes too much voltage (amps or whatever).

Most 22KHz switches have to be after the DiSEqC switch, as they do not pass the DiSEqC commands (which are 22KHz tone bursts). In other words, when your receiver send a DiSEqC 22KHz tone burst to access the DiSEqC switch ports, the 22KHz switch turns on and therefore interrupts the signal to the DiSEqC switch. Apparently, the ECODA 22KHz tone switch is a special switch that will pass on the DiSEqC commands (See Labgate's website on switches/motors: (replaced xx with tt) hxxp://www.labgate.info/). I think there is also a SPAUN 22KHz that does the same. Might be your solution.

the 22khz switch was after the motor so it shouldnt have been a problem as it wouldnt have mattered if the 22khz switch was passing or blocking diseqc commands.

the 22khz switch was after the motor so it shouldnt have been a problem as it wouldnt have mattered if the 22khz switch was passing or blocking diseqc commands.

I was answering Rialdo's question about why most 22KHz switches can't be before a DiSEqC switch. Your problem, on the other hand, is very strange indeed because your motor is obviously passing the 22KHz DiSEqC commands, yet wouldn't pass the 22KHz continuous tone. How long is your run of coax from the receiver to the motor?

I was answering Rialdo's question about why most 22KHz switches can't be before a DiSEqC switch. Your problem, on the other hand, is very strange indeed because your motor is obviously passing the 22KHz DiSEqC commands, yet wouldn't pass the 22KHz continuous tone. How long is your run of coax from the receiver to the motor?

worse then that, with the switch the motor would not move, therfore it (the motor) was not receiving the commands. without the switch the motor would work, therfore it was receiving commands.

who knows.

works fine with my mercury II and a 4x1 :)

worse then that, with the switch the motor would not move, therfore it (the motor) was not receiving the commands. without the switch the motor would work, therfore it was receiving commands.

who knows.

works fine with my mercury II and a 4x1 :)

That is very strange. Fortunately, you were able to come up with fairly easy solution!

defn, I thought Id use a 22khz as it would make a cleaner setup, but oh well the 4x1 works well and their just as cheap as a 22khz.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)