Switching Between Multiple Ehd's

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
For those with multiple ehd's how do you switch between them without physically moving wires around?

I've been looking at this as an option........Amazon product ASIN B00JX1ZS5O
Right now I only have 1 WD mybook 1 tb. Thinking of adding a 2nd, same brand but either a 2 or 3 tb. I don't mind getting up to push a button, but don't want to fuss with switching wires around.

Still on the fence about possibly upgrading to the H3. Right now we still have a 722 in the single mode feeding an hdmi splitter to 3 TV's. The 722 does what it's supposed to but after 8 years it may be time for a change.

The ehd's are very important to my better half. She loves recording and the 1 tb is full, she's been bugging me for years for more capacity. Need to make this as simple as possible for her.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Present Hoppers will handle two at a time. Can't speak for the 3, assuming the same, maybe one more. If that is important, yes, you needed to update long ago.

Reactions: stardust3
I recall seeing some pics that showed the back of the new h3, darned if I can find them now. Hoping that both usb ports are located on the back of the unit. Assuming it will have the same capabilities of the current hopper.

If the new h3 can handle 2 ehd's, that may have just sealed the deal for upgrading.

1 more question. I need to move my ehd from its current location. The cable is short, found this on amazon but can't confirm if it's the right cable. Anyone know for sure?
Amazon product ASIN B00DYWC26G

For those with multiple ehd's how do you switch between them without physically moving wires around?

I've been looking at this as an option........Amazon product ASIN B00JX1ZS5O
Right now I only have 1 WD mybook 1 tb. Thinking of adding a 2nd, same brand but either a 2 or 3 tb. I don't mind getting up to push a button, but don't want to fuss with switching wires around.

Still on the fence about possibly upgrading to the H3. Right now we still have a 722 in the single mode feeding an hdmi splitter to 3 TV's. The 722 does what it's supposed to but after 8 years it may be time for a change.

The ehd's are very important to my better half. She loves recording and the 1 tb is full, she's been bugging me for years for more capacity. Need to make this as simple as possible for her.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I have exactly the switch that you are showing in the picture. It works pretty well with the Hopper w/Sling. I have 2 EHD's and the OTA modules hooked up to it. I have had 3 EHD's hooked up at once, but just turn one off (by clicking) at a time and turning the others on. This did cause problems at times finding the other EHD's until the hopper restarted so I abandoned it and just hooked the third one up on our 2nd hopper.

Reactions: stardust3
I have exactly the switch that you are showing in the picture. It works pretty well with the Hopper w/Sling. I have 2 EHD's and the OTA modules hooked up to it. I have had 3 EHD's hooked up at once, but just turn one off (by clicking) at a time and turning the others on. This did cause problems at times finding the other EHD's until the hopper restarted so I abandoned it and just hooked the third one up on our 2nd hopper.

I was reading about that as well. Wonder if the powered model would eliminate that issue.

Forgot about the ota module being usb. May have to try 1 of these out even if I do the h3 upgrade. Thanks

Keep in mind, on current Hoppers, you cannot transfer directly between EHDs. Must transfer to Hopper first. I have no reason to believe the H3 will be different.

I strongly wish Dish would allow us to label EHDs, as they do not always power up in the same sequence. Plus, if you have 3 on together, it gets REAL complicated, and blue tape marked drives doesn't cut it.

Keep in mind, on current Hoppers, you cannot transfer directly between EHDs. Must transfer to Hopper first. I have no reason to believe the H3 will be different.

I strongly wish Dish would allow us to label EHDs, as they do not always power up in the same sequence. Plus, if you have 3 on together, it gets REAL complicated, and blue tape marked drives doesn't cut it.

Thanks, looks like a good reason to have an external switch.

I believe I'm gonna go ahead and order 1, need to decide on either the powered or non-powered switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)