Switching cables to HDTV question

Scorpion.sting

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Logansport, IN
Today I switched the cables I was using from my 411 to my TV and now my TV shows HD channels in full screen where before I had top and bottom bars and also my SD channel picture has changed from full screen to bars on the sides of my TV.

This is what cable I was using: S-Video
This is cable I switched to: Component Video

Can anyone tell me why the picture change?

Thank you in advance

assuming you have a widescreen tv your hd programming is now being show as it should in 16:9 widescreen format. Where as your SD programming is still in 4:3 aspect ratio format and unless you stretch it out it will have bars on the side. Im not sure what a 411 receiver is (maybe an 811 predecessor) but on my HD reciever the bottom left button on my dish remote lets me toggle between strecth zoom and normal formats so you can stretch your regular SD programming if you wish.

Ok I understand all that you said Fred and I have tried to stretch the SD screen using the button you spoke of but it wont let me. Yes my HDTV is widescreen. Yes the 411 is a single HD receiver from Dish.

Rip, I did not know S-Video did not support HD. Thanks for the info.

Quite awhile Ron. It may be because I had an old HD TV but I just had a new one delivered today. big difference.

Although I use to have it connected to HDMI until the port on my receiver quite working. lol

Quite awhile Ron. It may be because I had an old HD TV but I just had a new one delivered today. big difference.

Although I use to have it connected to HDMI until the port on my receiver quite working. lol
Good God.
Not disparraging you here, but assuming your TV upconverted the 480i signal, I can't believe you thought you were watching HD when it was deliverd by an s-video cable.

Well I just thought that that was as good as it got Ron. The picture on the HD channels did look much better than the SD channels with the S-Video cable. But since I have gotten my new HDTV yesterday and am using component cable, I can see an even better difference in picture quality. Beleive me Im not a pro here but I thought at the time S-video was great. I am getting a good education from the good folks like yourself in this forum. I learn something new everyday here.

Thanks guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts