Questions about new install

pete424

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Andover KS
I am going to have an installer out on Sunday the 4th. I ordered the Platinum Hi Def package. What determines the model dish and what satellite it will be aimed at? The former owner of my house left a dish 500 on the roof. Will this be the one they use? Also, they are hooking up a hi def DVR to two tvs and two tvs on a standard piece of equipment. What receivers will they use? If it makes a difference, I am in Andover KS, 67002

They will / should be replacing the dish 500 with a completely different setup, probably a Dish 1000 (slightly larger / more eliptical), and will be aiming to / peaking off the 119 to pick up the 119 / 110 and 121 for the HD. They should be able to put the new dish on the old mast pole, as long as there is a clear / unobstructed sight.

The Hi-Def DVR is the 622 and the standard receiver will most likely be the 322.

I haven't installed a 622, so I am unsure of whether or not the second TV off this unit will be able to receive HD, unless there are component cables from the unit to the HDTV #2 (someone else can chime in here).

Hope the install goes well.

Just a correction that it will be aiming at 110, 119, and 129, not 121. The TV2 out on the 622 will output an analog NTSC signal which will allow you to view the HD channels, but in a letterbox format.

TV2 can also be connected via composite cables or S-video. It's still standard def. or down-converted HD. It is also possible to connect a remote HDTV via component cables to have HD at two locations (both the HDMI and component outputs for "nearby" TV1 are live at the same time) but that will be a duplication of the programming on TV1. Several users are making connections to two HDTVs this way. They set the 622 in its "Single" mode and use the UHF remote from that second location.

Here is a link to the on-line version of the 622's "User's Guide" so you can bone-up on it in advance of your installation. Make sure you ask lots of questions! (Many installers are still rather unfamiliar with the 622 so it might be a mutual learning experience!) Study hard - there will be a test...!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/userguides_manuals/receivers/ViP622_DVR/index.shtml

Make sure the installer actually makes and checks the HD connections! The 622 itself does not come with HD cables, at least it didn't originally; there might be a set of component cables provided now or perhaps the installer will provide a set. Either way you will likely be on your own for the HDMI cable. Don't buy one at a big box store or even Wal*Mart for that matter - go online at a place like www.monoprice.com for a much lower price. You might even want to order cables now to have in time for your installation!

OP - Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
my installer was shocked when he saw the shielded gold connector hdmi cable that was about 3/4 of an inch thick after I explained I was going to use a 12 dollar cable :)

Monoprice rocks :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)