switching cards

justinndover

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I know that this is most likely in another forum, but I couldn't find it. Is there any way to give someone your reciever and they can just use their card in it to make it work?

thanks this will be my last question. Where would i get a 501 or 508 reciever? Does dish carry these or am i going to have to ebay it.

You can use a different card than what was originally in the receiver if both receivers and both cards have a clear balance and released from the account. I believe you would have to speak to a special department to have this done though.

justinndover said:
thanks this will be my last question. Where would i get a 501 or 508 reciever? Does dish carry these or am i going to have to ebay it.

A retailer maybe but you wont get anything for your 510 as a trade in unless you find a crazy retailer. 501, 508, 510, 522, 721, 921, and 942 pvr/dvr's are no longer produced and no longer sold by dish network.

The card I was going to try to use was from an old 301 that already has a plan on it. Hopping it was like a sim card to cell phone just switch and all is good.

Call Dish Network and give them the smart card from the 301 and the receiver number from the 510 and see if they can get it activated. If the receiver does not have some recent software then they cannot do this. Make sure you put the smart card into the receiver first and that the 301 is turned off and released from the account.

Also, try and get into the "tech support" CSR queue, as this is something the normal CSR probably doesnt do everyday. An email to ceo@dishnetwork.com might also help if you explain what you are trying to do.

The only way this will work is if the accounts the receiver and card were associated with are clear with no balances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts