Switching Dish Local Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Marc26634

Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Glenmont
Recently I switched to Dish and I'm sad to say that I did. I have been a Loyal DirecTV coustomer ever since they started. Anyways, I switched to Dish 3 months ago. They PROMISED us Cleveland local channels which we have always had. Unfortunately when the installer installed the service he said that we could no longer get these local channels and are stuck with Columbus local channels which are horrible. I have called Dish multiple times to have them changed but they said that we are just a few miles over the cut off line. Which I'm not very pleased about. I've lightly researched this problem. I've read on forums that people change their billing adress to where they would like their locals from. I've thought about doing this but I'm not sure if I need to move my Dish or need different equipment to do so. So do I need to move my dish or can I just call and have my billing address changed and they will automatically change my locals back to Cleveland locals? Thanks in Advance!

Cleveland's HD locals are on both arcs. Columbus' HD locals are on Western arc. If you are receiving Columbus today you will be able to receive Cleveland just fine without moving the dish. You want to have your service address changed, not billing. Tell them that you have 'moved' have installed all of the equipment and have a picture on your TV. Tell them that you wish to keep the original billing address..

Cleveland's HD locals are on both arcs. Columbus' HD locals are on Western arc. If you are receiving Columbus today you will be able to receive Cleveland just fine without moving the dish. You want to have your service address changed, not billing. Tell them that you have 'moved' have installed all of the equipment and have a picture on your TV. Tell them that you wish to keep the original billing address..
Thank you! You're great!

Would it matter if I changed the service adress to my friends adress who also has Dish?

You are not allowed to have a service address somewhere other than your actual location of service. Giving the location of another Dish customer would be a dead giveaway that you are not actually there.

Yes, it would raise red flags. Now, you might change the address slightly like adding an 'A' to it, as if there were a secondary house on the property.

Their computer system would also not allow it. Their system will only allow one account per service address. Someone came up with a great idea. Find two addresses in the area you want it, and split it in two. For instance, if there are 1004 and 1000 w main st, tell them you are at 1002 W main st

yeah yeah yeah. blah blah blah...

I was trying to answer the question as posted. Did you find something in error about my response? Or, did you just want to dribble nonsense?

I move my service address at least 10 times per year. Chad is absolutely correct, the system doesn't allow two customers use the same address. A couple of years ago I moved into an RV park and gave the address and site number I was in, the CSR said that they already had someone in that site and wouldn't allow me to be there also. I just added another digit and the system took it, no problem.

Reactions: Marc26634
If you change your service address to your original address, your locals change with it. You can "move" back to your service address if you need to have something shipped from DISH or a tech vist by DISH and then "move" back to your new address when you are finished. I've been a "mover" since 2003.

Reactions: edisonprime
You are not allowed to have a service address somewhere other than your actual location of service. Giving the location of another Dish customer would be a dead giveaway that you are not actually there.

yeah yeah yeah. blah blah blah...

I was trying to answer the question as posted. Did you find something in error about my response? Or, did you just want to dribble nonsense?

I move my service address at least 10 times per year. Chad is absolutely correct, the system doesn't allow two customers use the same address. A couple of years ago I moved into an RV park and gave the address and site number I was in, the CSR said that they already had someone in that site and wouldn't allow me to be there also. I just added another digit and the system took it, no problem.

I keyed off of your first sentence. We've got a few folks here that make you feel like a criminal when we discuss these things. Noticing the second sentence and your reply to my post tells me that my thinking, base on context, was wrong and I apologize for my dribble... :)

As a long term RV'er, I change our service address as often as daily using the chat system. My "record" is 5 changes in one week. Dish has never complained about the frequent changes, although the CSR's do occasionally get something wrong and I have to have them correct it in a second chat session.

The biggest change for you RVers I wish Dish would make, is that when the service address is changed, it automatically update the DMA. Currently it is 2 steps, and that is why sometimes you have to call back. There is no reason they can't be done in the same action.

I agree, Chad, and usually they do get it right. I remind them during the session, but apparently it doesn't always get done. Once in awhile, they change my billing address instead of my service address, and I really after get after them to fix it. :eeek

Beleive it or not, it is likely the veterans that forget it. the old system was setup to do it automatically. It was the new system a couple years ago which is by far better, but there are certain downfalls. This is one of them.

Oh well, it always gets worked out in the end and that's what counts. What I'd really like to see Dish do, is enable changing the service address online for RV'ers, like we can change our billing address.

Reactions: TheKrell
It worked thanks! No more crappy Columbus locals! Can I change my service address back to my original or would that mess anything up?
If you change your service address to your original address, your locals change with it.
I've seen cases where changing your service address doesn't always change the locals. I've had cases where I've changed the service address and the locals did not change, so I had to call or chat back in to get it fixed.

You could try to chat and tell them you to change your service address, but don't bother changing the locals, since you will only be out of town for a week. That has worked for me in the past.

They PROMISED us Cleveland local channels which we have always had. Unfortunately when the installer installed the service he said that we could no longer get these local channels and are stuck with Columbus local channels which are horrible.
Someone promised you something they couldn't deliver. That is the only beef you have with DISH with respect to this issue. If DISH is delivering Columbus now, it is likely that DIRECTV will switch over to Columbus soon.

The carriers don't get to choose which TV market you get. That is determined uniquely by Nielsen Research. It seems likely that DIRECTV is using an old map but they have to update to a map to one from the last five years and if your address changed markets, your carrier must eventually follow.

Reactions: Marc26634
Can anybody tell me which arc the DETROIT locals are on at present? I checked a few years ago, and I think at the time they were only on the western arc, including 129w. If I remember right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts