Switching from 18" to 5LNB Slimline...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrhowes

Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
I am finally biting the bullet and moving to HD D*. I currently have a 18" antenna attached to the SE corner of my house, pointing over the house next to me and pointing to the left (east) of the tree in front of his next door neighbor. I am getting great reception now (average signal strength 80+, lows around 68, highs around 92). Now to my question, when they install the slimline antenna, will they likely be able to mount the antenna in the same spot, and will the tree likely cause me issues with reception?

The tree seems to cause little to no issues with reception. The only time I lose signal strength in during HEAVY thunder storms.

Let me know what you folks out there think.

I will try to post photos of my setup later.

Michael...

1st WELCOME to SatGuys!

If you can provide your zip code, we can tell you where you need to look with the aide of a $12 heading (map) compass you can get at any Wal-Mart, Target or outdoors store. It is real simple. Unless your current 101w (standard) dish has a real tight LoS (view) then you are likely going to be fine, but for $12 and 5 mins, why not check it out before you call and set anything up.

One thing you should know is the new dish will require a totally new, larger mast; it will not be mounted on the old mast. Mount that new dish as high up as you can for your best results; all within the free install deal. It will be very smart to NOT have the old dish setup removed at all; or at least until the new one is up and working correctly to YOUR SATISFACTION; do not sign anything until your are. Make sure he knows you want to keep any and all your old hardware for your backup needs. Keep in mind these guys are almost sure to be hired hands of a local company, not actual DirecTV employees.

Make sure you discuss all you possibilities & expectations versus what the installer is planning to do within the FREE install guidelines, BEFORE he even gets started.

These are just some small, general starting off points for now to get you going and spur more thought & questions.

Attachments

• mapcompass1.jpg
    mapcompass1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
The 5LNB dish will be looking at sats located at 99/101/103/110/119. The current, small dish you have is looking at the 101 only.

Based on that, you need a clean line of sight. Is the tree in the way? Will it block the signal to either side of where the small dish is aimed now?

I started off with the small dish too. I upgraded to the Phase III dish and later to the AT9, I had to move it off the house, back to the garage roof to clear a tree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts