Switching from 211 signal to Joey signal on boat when coming ashore

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have a guy that has an automated dish for his 211 while on the boat. He wants to switch to the Joey when he comes ashore. He wants it as simple as plugging it into the boat when he connects his phone and other stuff up and be able to push a button to change the satellite feed from his boat automated dish to his regular dish at his Property where he comes ashore. What product out there does this? He doesn’t want to change configurations with the type of fish used every time he comes ashore.

He told me that a representative for the company that sold him his automated dish said this ab switch would work but that’s just for switching between receivers and not between dishes. He has a coax ran to each tv. All the TVs have the same signal going to them all which is currently two but he wants the third one hooked up as well. I explained to him that some TVs and receivers may require hdmi. He said he wanted to use existing coax that was there connected to them.

I tried explaining to him that he needs something to switch between the satellite feeds in addition to switching between the 211 and Joey. I have thought about how the wireless Joey may be able to make it simpler when he pulls ashore.

New Cable TV Push Button A/B Switch (Cable, Dish,Satellite Video Games)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Won’t a checkswitch be required, regardless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn’t want to change configurations with the type of fish used every time he comes ashore.

You lost me even if you meant to type "the type of dish". Well, does he want to switch to his land fixed dish, or doesn't he? Does he want to bring the 211 ashore? The Joey onto the boat and ignore the 211?

Reactions: navychop
If he does have a Hopper on shore within WiFi range of the boat, then yes, a wireless Joey might be the easiest solution. Since the Hopper is already connected to the shore dish there's no need for any dish switching, just switching the TV connections from the 211 to the Joey. That could be done with the existing coax and an A/B switch by adding an RF modulator to the Joey's HDMI, component, or composite outputs.

Last edited:
If he does have a Hopper on shore within WiFi range of the boat, then yes, a wireless Joey might be the easiest solution. Since the Hopper is already connected to the shore dish there's no need for any dish switching, just switching the TV connections from the 211 to the Joey. That could be done with the existing coax and an A/B switch by adding an RF modulator to the Joey's HDMI, component, or composite outputs.

Just one very minor clarification, Joey's don't have component outputs. :)

His home is on shore his Joey runs off of the Hopper. I figured a modulator was needed for the Joey since there is no coax output. If he does not want a wireless Joey or the wireless will not reach but wants a switch that will switch the dish outputs from the boat dish to the dish on shore where his house is then what is on the market that can do that?

Depending on how the Joey is connected to the Hopper, he'll need an extension of that connection to dockside. If he has a Duo Node (H1 or 2) or Duo Hub (H3) mounted at the dish, that may be a shorter run than from the house itself. In either case, the run to dockside will be from the Node or Hub wherever it is. If I recall correctly, the total coax run from the dish to the Joey is limited to 200'. Another option might be a dockside Ethernet connection, but that's a bit more involved.

I have connected a wireless device (making it a wireless bridge) to a Joey a while back (that wasn’t a wireless Joey) and got it to work. A hardwired Ethernet has a limit of around 330 feet so it might give me a little more.

Reactions: TheKrell
So he has a Hopper on land, and wants to use a Joey on the boat tied to that Hopper?
Without knowing the distance, it's hard to recommend anything, but I would think the wifi option would be the best (and it may be an added benefit of getting wifi at the boat too).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)