Switching from Dish Network worth it?

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Wife called them, and they want a bunch of money to upgrade us to HD.... Even then, I dont know if they'd even allow us two HD DVR's w/o having to purchase on outright..

What about Time Warner? Will they lease out two HD DVR's and possibly a third non-hd box? How much would that cost me?

How is the PQ with Time Warner (DFW area for those curious)?? How is the HD? I'm brand new to HD and just picked up two new HDTV's :)

Some people have been able to get (2) HD-DVRs from Dish but I think the official policy is not to allow that. They're very expensive units and Dish isn't big on giving them away.... hence why many people lease one and buy a 2nd. Now, if you're a good, long-time customer, I'll bet the executive office or their retention dept can do it for you. Try e-mailing 'ceo@echostar.com' and explaining what you want. Include your acct # and a phone # to call you at (they normally call back vs responding by e-mail).

TW will allow (2) HD-DVRs based on what I've heard from others. A 3rd box isn't a problem either.... To them, more boxes equal more money. Cost will depend on your local area. They're all different.

Here's a price sheet page for your area. They usually will rent out whatever you want dependent on availability.

Only you can determine the worth. Take a look at the programming packages for both providers and decide who has the most programming you want for the price you are willing to pay.

PQ is fairly subjective so you should try and find a place where you can demo the product to give yourself some idea of what it will look like. I know a TWC office in the Cincinnati area had a HDTV in the lobby so you may find something similar in your area. Some stores also use the local cable company to demo their HDTVs, so you might also want to check that out.

I left TWC due to their standard package pricing. You may be able to get a good deal for 12-18 months, after that they jack up the price sometimes as much as 2 to 3 times. Not a bad deal short term, but you may find yourself back pretty quick after the original deal expires.

I usually avoid saying that, instead, letting people find out themselves.... :D People have to know to look at their standard pricing, not what is listed on their main web page or what a phone rep tells them. Those will almost always be promotions.

I did switch from Dish to TWC for just short of two years, knowing full well that my rates would go up. When it was about time for my promo to end, I called to see how to improve the costs (in my favor) and anything I did would kick me out of my current pricing level (before discount) up to their current pricing. What I really wanted to do was keep my HD-DVR and drop down to "lifeline" cable but they wouldn't do it. So, I'm back with Dish....

You should be able to get as many boxes from TWC as you want, Usally their is a deposit though depending on your account history or credit history. But the deposit is refundable.

If you have good credit, no deposit is required. I have 2 HD DVRs, and they would rent me a third if I wanted it. I have found SD PQ to be equivalent to DirecTV which is to say a noticeably compressed, but not badly so. HD PQ varies. TWC in my area is definitely shaping bit-rates and down rezing on certain HD channels. Compared to OTA, all the channels except perhaps CBS look worse on cable. YMMV.

I am just doing the cable thing until DISH or D* get their act together with respect to HD.

Good Luck,
Ted

Like Hall said, coming from Dish, you should get a good promotional rate. We did and are saving $30/month. Once the rate goes away, I'll look at my options. Bit for two years, I'm getting more programming at less cost than I was with Dish.

How about TW's HD DVR's..... how do they do recording? Can you record two programs at once and watch an already recorded program?

Not TW but Comcast here-we had 4 SA 8300 HD DVR's before I put two Cable Cards in the Sam 56 and Sam 61(get a slightly better picture with the cards) since I do't record--Kids love to record though.We still have 2 Sa 8300 HD DVR's,at on time I asked if I could have 5 total- they said no problem

I made the switch a couple months ago (well, added TW a couple months ago, dropped Dish about 1 month ago) in southern california. PQ is roughly equivalent (some channels better, some worse), the selection is different. I appreciate the extra $10 discount from having broadband internet access with them plus the promotional rates.

The DVRs are uninspiring and expensive. Motorola 3164's. I have two, the first is $10 the second $12. They are sluggish and have a poorer interface than the 942 or 921. They can record two things simultaneously, but have some irksome characteristics (like not being able to turn it off if it is recording, but it records just fine if it was off when it started a timed event). Long term, I may be looking to get a Tivo series 3 to use on the system.

Ultimately, I'll probably go back to satellite or fios if it becomes available.

I'd imagine you will be back, enjoy the cheaper rates while you can. I signed up to TWC years back and in the end I was paying the same as what I pay to Dish now but only getting their basic tier plus their HD tier. No movie channels, much less HD, etc. I kept my bill about the same but now I have the AEP+HD through Dish.

Sooo.... Basically comcast sucks or what?

The SD PQ doesn't match dish? HD any good? Never really got a clear answer on the question "can you record TWO shows at once and WATCH one show whlie the other two are recording???"

I'd imagine you will be back, enjoy the cheaper rates while you can. I signed up to TWC years back and in the end I was paying the same as what I pay to Dish now but only getting their basic tier plus their HD tier. No movie channels, much less HD, etc. I kept my bill about the same but now I have the AEP+HD through Dish.

I do imagine the pricing will go up. I do have an advantage of the multi service discount, because I'm getting my broadband from them as well as television - and I'd probably continue to do so if I go to something else for TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)