Switching from DISH to Cable: how long until I can resubscribe and get a decent deal

In 1999 I got the dish500 upgrade for $25 (shipping charge).

Which package did you have to get the D500? Remember, at one time, the D500 was like the Superdish is now, you didn't get it, unless you needed it.

Did you try a different credit card, just curious.[/QUOTE]

OK They started the Dish 500 upgrade AFTER they got the people in my situation to upgrade! Meaning, the ones who already had the Spanish Language Package were going to be charged for channels they could not receive, so they had to pay for the upgrade. It wasn't even a real Dish 500 upgrade, they were getting rid of the 18" dishes, so I got another 18" dish for sat. 110.

Yes, had I waited later on that year, this happened in late July, I could have done a promotion for the Dish 500 upgrade.

Also, they charged me for the install, when it should have been free. I went through 2 supervisors who all told me that they were not given free installs for those who already had the package. I had recorded the Charlie Chat and played Charlie Ergen's voice saying that there was a $99 equipment charge, $24.99 for shipping and free professional installation. She adjusted my bill.

I wish they would have just given me the equipment for free and no install.

As far as the credit card thing, that would not have worked either because of the way the system is set up. If you know how they do that, I 'm not going into detals, using another card should not work.

miguelaqui said:
OK They started the Dish 500 upgrade AFTER they got the people in my situation to upgrade! Meaning, the ones who already had the Spanish Language Package were going to be charged for channels they could not receive, so they had to pay for the upgrade. It wasn't even a real Dish 500 upgrade, they were getting rid of the 18" dishes, so I got another 18" dish for sat. 110.

Yes, had I waited later on that year, this happened in late July, I could have done a promotion for the Dish 500 upgrade.

Also, they charged me for the install, when it should have been free. I went through 2 supervisors who all told me that they were not given free installs for those who already had the package. I had recorded the Charlie Chat and played Charlie Ergen's voice saying that there was a $99 equipment charge, $24.99 for shipping and free professional installation. She adjusted my bill.

I wish they would have just given me the equipment for free and no install.
I guess it could have been late summer or early fall of 1999. I had the AT100 and MegaMovie paks which I subscribe on an annual basis. The offer was mentioned on a Charlie Chat and the 110 was needed to get the rest of the channels in megamovie pak.

I now have superdish which was free when ordering GermanTV for a year. Also added 61.5 wing dish in May of this year but that cost me $100 but still a good deal because it involved a DPP44 switch, DP LNB and DPP separator. The original 18 inch dish was used but they supplied the DP LNB. My old dish500 is still on the roof but not connected.

miguelaqui said:
As far as the credit card thing, that would not have worked either because of the way the system is set up. If you know how they do that, I 'm not going into detals, using another card should not work.
Guess once you're a customer you're a customer forever.

That's part of the problem. If I want HDTV you have to upgrade not only my receiver but my dish also (more money) Right now I have two dish setup so I can receive the PBS channels and the Sky Angel (which we purchased a lifetime subscription for something like $250 when it first was offered--problem now we moved and we cannot even get the satellite because of the trees).

I think I have just talked myself into gettting cable at least for one year and see what happens with dish. That way I can get HDTV for my new TV.

I just called and signed up with Comcast--getting (2) HDTV DVR's
with the Silver package and all HBO premium channels for 12 months at $8.00 less per month than I am now getting dish with no HDTV. I know it only lasts 12 months but that is enough for me to get a taste of HDTV. Also saved $10 a month on my internet service, so I am pleased. Will probably find something to complain about but this is good for me at this time.

Thanks for the comments. Brad

The D500 upgrade I got was truly a great deal. As I noted before, I paid $25 and then got a $35 credit for self-installation, so they paid me $10 to take it.

After that upgrade I had a spare D300 in my basement. Just this year, I picked up a used Legacy Twin and installed that on my D500. Then I took the LNB I got in the D500 upgrade and installed it on my D300, used one of the SW21s also obtained in the D500 upgrade to combine the D300 with the Twin, and pointed it at 61.5 to get the VOOM channels. All it cost me was the cost of the used Twin ($12), a pole and a bag of cement.

So 5-6 years later, the "better than free" D500 upgrade was still yielding new benefits.

Dish tried to talk me into staying with them. Offered me a HD receiver though not dvr. Also said comcast is raising rates again by 7%, but I am unaffected by that since my rate is set for 12 months.

I will miss the picture quality of dish. Seems like parting with a "loved" one since I have been with these guys so long.

Brad

Brad, you should move to Texas where most of the trees aren't tall enough to block your signal. :)

Keep in mind you could still get SkyAngel and mix it with your cable signal, as long as you have the receiver setup.

I have been considering that to cut my cost in half, but I don't want Showtime and HBO at all. :)

Brad

I do not want any premium channels at all because of the smut that comes over those channels, so I will be blocking most of those. Really it is a house plus trees that are in our way of getting the SkyAngel signal. We are a little displeased with SkyAngel since when we initially signed up "Bob Jones-WMMU was a main stay--but they parted and now SkyAngel has changed alot. Even heard that Hallmark had a "R" rated movie on last week. Shame.

I had a feeling someone would post their point-of-view and criticize BSparks'. I even thought it could be you, Gary. You always seem willing to pervert good people's sensibilities.

It's not that we want something for free, I only payed 750 for my TV why should I have to pay 700 + 100 dollars to install a receiver. A receiver that just changes channels and has a 125 dollar hard drive in it should not cost more than my tv. And why do I have to pay someone to install it? I think I can handle hooking up an HDMI cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)