Switching from DISH to Cable: how long until I can resubscribe and get a decent deal

BSparks294

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
I have had DISH network since they first came out. Moved several times and am now in the position of having two SD DVR units. I lease these units so it is not like I own them. They are making money on me every month.

I really want to go to HDTV as I have 2 of those sets now in the house. That is why I want to switch to Comcast cable so I will not have to pay an outrageous price for the HDTV DVR.

I prefer the picture on Dish and the speed at which you can switch channels.
But what makes me upset is the extreme expense it takes to upgrade for existing customers of dish.

How long do I have to be with Comcast before Dish will consider me a new customer or will they ever view me a new customer? I have a coupon for $39 cable (plus $9.99 (HDTV receiver) and $5.99 (HDTV) programming for one year.
That is the extent of the committment.

Thanks for the help. I know companies need to make money but Dish should take care of their customers better.

I figured someone would immediately slap me for trying to get a "deal" I am not trying to get free--just a reasonable price to upgrade my equipment. Just call me a "professional" athlete who jumps to the next team when "green" shows up.

BSparks294 said:
I figured someone would immediately slap me for trying to get a "deal" I am not trying to get free--just a reasonable price to upgrade my equipment. Just call me a "professional" athlete who jumps to the next team when "green" shows up.

Well then enjoy playing for the other team. At least you can go with the confort of knowing that you are a sub that Dish actually made their money back on. What is it now, two years as a sub paying your bill before Dish makes their money back that it cost them to allow you to watch their product?

When I left for Comcast cable earlier this month, I was told by the Dish guy that I would be considered a new customer after being gone 3 months. I find that to be pretty short and potentially wrong. If you have SBC in your area, you can sign up through them as a new customer.

I have 16 months to figure it out so I'm sure something bigger and better will come along by then.

Dish might NEVER consider you to be a new customer!

Adelphia, here at least considers you to be a new customer after 90 days, but there is no limit for Dish!

You will never be able to do a "new customer" promotion.

That's why they do the "credit card qualify" for the promotions.

The only way to get free equipment would be on one of those deals where you buy the stuff and they give you a monthly credit for a certain number of months. You would still have to lie when you called, say you were never a Dish customer and establish service at a different address.

Dish did have a former customer promotion, it was Digital Home Plan, rental program. The customer had to say that they did not own any equipment anymore, not even a LNB!

I understand....I bought a 4000 system in 1998 for $299 and installed it myself.

As far as treatment of existing customers, I do think it is unfair that E* treats the new customers like gold and the current customer not so well. Back in 1999, I had to pay $99 for a Dish 500 upgrade, which is about the cost of the supplies back in 1999. I had the Spanish language pack, they added channels and changed the pack to Dish Latino, with some channels on 110. I was told I had to pay for the additional channels and had to pay for the upgrade, if I wanted it. Had I been a new customer, they would have brought a Dish 500 b/c I was subscribing to Dish Latino.

I have never heard of D* giving away those free things to new customers. They charge new customers for a DVR or HD upgrade, just like they do current ones. I have heard of them giving stuff away for customer retention, but E* does that also; at least D* is trying to work with customers who have been loyal to them, not sucking up to the new ones!

In 2001, I did a cable bounty program with Adelphia and went to cable. The 4000 was slow and the guide only could hold a few hours at a time, but the dig. cable was fast and held a week's guide. When I called to disco, they just said that, if I were to purchase a new receiver, it would be faster and have a better guide. I told them I'd rather give it to Adelphia.

I really thought it was unfair that, back in 2003, they were giving away 508s for free! while current, former, customers had to pay for the upgrade.

I thought about just telling them I was a new sub., being that I had moved. But, I found out that the credit card qualification will find out who you are. Social security number or not, if you ever paid your bill with your card, they will catch you.

I ended up getting a 508 and telling them I was a new customer just to avoid the $25 restart fee.

I heard that they will let a customer rent again, if this is true, they have changed the rules. At one time, if a customer was renting and disconnected, they could never rent again.

If you are waiting to get something for free, unless they completely change the way they do business, I hope you're happy with your new provider.

Claude Greiner said:
Why does everything have to be free.....

Nothing is free in the free market. Companies will do what they think is best to maximize profits. If they "think" poor treatment of customers is they way to the bottom line then they will try it. But history shows that companies with better customer service seem to achieve better results. E* has about 11 million customers. A couple of dozen log on to this forum and tell the world they are leaving. But it seems 99.99% of customers appear satisfied. So while this forum may have a high percentage of complaints it probably represents less than 1% of the customer base.

So it seems the pricing and incentive structure set up by E* is working for them. As in all cases, the customer has the final say. Vote with you money.

Echostar will keep record or you being a customer for years. Use your spouses name to get new customer pricing/promos. I was a Dish customer 6 years ago, left because of PQ problems. When I went back when VoOm died, they wanted me to commit to 2 years and pay $1000 for the 942. I told them to pound dirt. We called back, signed up with my wifes name instead, got the 942 for $250 lease, our first months bill for the Top180/HD pac/VoOm pac was $10.

I find it very interesting how discussions like this seem to go. I was in the same position as BSparks (2 SD DVR's, 1 std receiver all on lease) although not a customer as long. I was with E* for a little over 4 years.

I tried to lease a 942 both by conventional means (call to CSR) and emailing the CEO address like others did. I was denied by each avenue. If one posts frustration at the inability of being able to lease a 942 he/she is subjected to ridicule for expecting something for free. While leasing for $250 and $5/month is certainly less than the $699 retail I would hardly call that free.

When I did the math I paid over $1,000 in lease fees for the three receivers I had. Even based on full retail I covered the cost of my boxes. Perhaps this is a strong argument for purchasing equipment instead of leasing because E* expects you to pay for the boxes long after the full retail price is covered if you are a long time customer.

Cable and satellite are in direct competition. Cable has always "leased" the equipment, but in the beginning satellite only offered a purchase option. I purchased my first single receiver/LNB dish from D* over 10 years ago. Obviously E* and D* saw the benefit of leasing as a way to get customers away from cable without the large up front cost. Now, with HD DVR, satellite has reverted back to purchase only (unless you are a new customer) while cable will still "lease" a box for around $10 a month. Satellite companies are free to chose their business model and those that don't agree will leave.

My feeling is that once the MPEG4 conversion shakes out that satellite will have to go back to the lease route to keep/gain HD customers. Customers appear to be conditioned to cable's model of leasing and in order to be competitive E* and D* will have to offer that as an option. It is just frustrating to be stuck in the middle in the meantime.

As always, thanks for the discussion. It's great to be able to kick these ideas back and forth.

Since MPEG 4 is litterally arround the corner I would go on E-Bay and get a couple of 811's and watch HD until the MPEG4 DVR's come out. That should be arround XMAS. :)

BSparks - You will never be considered a new customer. Once a Dish customer, always a Dish customer. You can however, attempt to resubscribe under a different name and SS#, such as your wife's. However, if you are using the same address and phone number, Dish's system will probably tag you as an existing, especially if your wife has the same last name.

If you have SBC Dish in your area, you can join through them as a new sub after only 6 months away from Dish. Unfortunately, at this time they do not offer the 942 or the Voom channels. They will be offering their own Dish-compatible receiver that blows it away though. But, no guarantee they'll ever have the Voom channels.

Sprint also offers Dish service in some parts of the country. They may have a similar 6-month waiting period. I do not know their 942 or Voom status.

Claude Greiner said:
Why does everything have to be free.....

Same reason why cities build stadiums for baseball and football teams with taxpayer dollars, even though the teams and the owners could easily build the new stadiums with the revenue they make.

Supply and demand!

If the city (DISH) wont build them a new stadium (RECEIVER), than the team (CUSTOMER) will go find a city that will build them a new stadium (NEW SAT/CABLE COMPANY!)

Quote: Sprint also offers Dish service in some parts of the country. They may have a similar 6-month waiting period. I do not know their 942 or Voom status.

Reply: I have Sprint Local service, and they give you 10 dollars off DSL and Sprint Solutions Package when you sign up with E*. And they also give you 12 dollars off a month for E*. I think they have the 942 and VOOM, because they asked us even tho we don't have HD.

Now that you mention it--the Colorado Rockies need to be sold and the stadium demolished so we can get our money back--I live in Colorado and that team is sorry.

Back to the point. I am not up to speed about Mpeg4. Will it be good for dish users? I might just stick it out and then make changes as was mentioned.

I too have purchased more than one system from Dish. As was mentioned, I had to buy my first system and my third.

Thanks for the thoughts. It is not that big of a deal, just want to get some HD for my HDTV's.

Brad

You can come back to Dish under the DHA program after 90 days. The is a lease program, and you do not pay any more for equipment than if you were to "Purchase it". It's not like you are paying extra a month to lease the receivers. Infact under the DHA you save money because then you can get dual tuner receivers.

An exaple:

Free Dish Promotion

4 Room system with 4 receivers, 120 package. 120 costs 42.99 a month with locals + 15.00 a month for the other 3 receivers. A total of 57.99 a month

Digital Home Advantage Program

4 Room system with 2 dual tuner receivers, 120 Package. 120 cost 42.99 a month with locals + 5.00 a month for the second receiver ( as long as you keep phone lines connected to the receivers you won't pay any more a month, if you don't have phones lines it cost the same as having 4 seperate receivers ). This total is $47.99 a month. You save $10.00 a month.

I've been with E* for 7 years now and I've gotten some decent deals along the way. I paid about $300 for a 4000 receiver and dish setup in 1998.

I got the Dish 500 upgrade for $25 and then got a $35 credit for self-installation, so they paid me $10 to upgrade.

I got a DVR, right after they first came out, with free PVR functionality for three years for a total cost of $99.

I purchased a 510 for $99 a couple of years ago.

And I picked up an 811 for $25 on a lease just 2 months ago. And they threw in 6 months of free HD programming on top of the deal.

All of these deals came directly from E*.

I could have picked up a 942 for $250 on lease, but am waiting to learn more about E*'s mpeg-4 plans before going with a HD-DVR.

I upgraded to the All-Everything Pak when I picked up the 510 and so I've never paid a dollar for PVR fees.

I feel I have been treated very fairly over the years as a long-time existing customer.

I'm guessing that you will remain in their system. That's what happened with me, though at the time it worked out well. I have been with Dish for over four years. I had to disconnect the first time when we moved into an apt and there was no line of site. At that point they put a free reconnect on my account which I used about 2 years later. When I disconnected the second time, they did the same thing again(so I know you stay in the system).

I don't mind paying reasonable prices for technology. I'll admit, I like a great deal but I understand you can't run the world on "free". But my problem is this: when I spent the money to buy the HD tv that I now have, I was buying a product that was compatible with many different services. I don't like the idea of spending $250 (for a lease), or $699 to purchase equipment that will only work with one company and that will be obsolete in a matter of a couple of years. The fact that would be tied to a company that doesn't stand by what they say makes it even worse.

I switched to cable last year because I wanted HD programming without the out of pocket expense. I will be moving the in the near future and gave some thought to switching back to Dish but for very similar programming costs, I can have 16-20 HD channels, digital cable with premium channels, VOD (free!) with loads of programming, HD cable box lease, and HD-DVR. The cable rep was great and spent over 30 minutes answering my questions and explaining their system. Add to this free installation and it's a great deal, at least for me. Believe me, this isn't a "cable is perfect" claim, in some ways, I prefer the picture on satellite. But the satellite companies have to realize that there are very viable alternatives available.

Let's face it. There are a lot of people out there (including myself) who save up for their HDTV and then just don't have the additional resources to put upfront money out for an HD programming receiver. My advice, put your Dish account on hold and give cable a try. If cable is a disappointment, you'll be out nothing, just reconnect your Dish account. In the meantime, hopefully the sat companies will make the transition to mepg4 and a new ball game will begin. It will also send a message that they need to continually reaccess their business practices, be fair to existing customers, and offer something that cable doesn't.

Just my 2 cents.

You've had the worst luck with dish because I joined in the same year as you.

miguelaqui said:
I bought a 4000 system in 1998 for $299 and installed it myself.
Personally I bought the 5000 for $150 because they had a $250 promotion for new customers in 1998.

miguelaqui said:
Back in 1999, I had to pay $99 for a Dish 500 upgrade, which is about the cost of the supplies back in 1999.
In 1999 I got the dish500 upgrade for $25 (shipping charge).

miguelaqui said:
I thought about just telling them I was a new sub., being that I had moved. But, I found out that the credit card qualification will find out who you are. Social security number or not, if you ever paid your bill with your card, they will catch you.
Did you try a different credit card, just curious.