Switching to Direct but keeping basic......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thisisrybo

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I am going to Direct very soon but I want to keep my basic channels (1-13) because my high speed internet will actually be cheaper if I keep it (so I figured why not) . I will NOT get my locals in hd via DIRECT. Actually it doesn't look like I will anytime soon either!!:mad: I have always been able to use my digital QAM tuner in my tv to get HD channels since I've had Comcast (Although I've always used my HD-DVR). Since I'm keeping basic cable, will I still be able to get these channels in HD or will my signal be downgraded or does it matter?? The reason I ask is because I hope to get my local channels in HD through COMCAST (even though I can't use them with DVR) via the qam tuner and the rest with direct. Will the signal I get when I drop all of my HD stuff from comcast be different or still the same?? Is anyone else doing this???

I hope this makes since!!

Please help, because there will be no way to find out unless I do it, or ask!!

Thanks a bunch!:):)

I posted this in the comcast forum, but I don't know how long it'll take for a response. It doesn't look like it's as active as this one:D

Last edited:
just wanting to know if anyone uses this setup or if they know anything about this... not wanting to be referred or anything.... I've already signed up and it's being installed Saturday.

I have the same comcast deal that you have, and my tv indicates the QAM channels as 1080i and 720p. I don't think there is any signal loss, from what I can tell.

I am going to Direct very soon but I want to keep my basic channels (1-13) because my high speed internet will actually be cheaper if I keep it (so I figured why not) . I will NOT get my locals in hd via DIRECT. Actually it doesn't look like I will anytime soon either!!:mad: I have always been able to use my digital QAM tuner in my tv to get HD channels since I've had Comcast (Although I've always used my HD-DVR). Since I'm keeping basic cable, will I still be able to get these channels in HD or will my signal be downgraded or does it matter?? The reason I ask is because I hope to get my local channels in HD through COMCAST (even though I can't use them with DVR) via the qam tuner and the rest with direct. Will the signal I get when I drop all of my HD stuff from comcast be different or still the same?? Is anyone else doing this???
Hopefully this answers your question. If you get a DVR from D* it will probably be an HR21 or HR22. It does not have OTA capability, but for $50 you can order the AM21 that connects to your DVR. It will show then show the schedule grid and you can record the local OTA channels. There is a chance the installer might bring an old HR20 and if so, it has OTA built in. Once you downgrade cable, you have way to capture the QAM tuner of your TV on the D* DVR.

I have the same comcast deal that you have, and my tv indicates the QAM channels as 1080i and 720p. I don't think there is any signal loss, from what I can tell.

So you get just channels 1-13 and it still allows you to get the QAM channels via the built in TV Tuner??

I'm just basically wanting to know if the signal is the same. Is it exactly the same whether you get channel 1-13 or HD DVR or high speed internet?? Is it the same and the equipment converts it to what you need or do the techs actually change the signal when you change a service?? I hope I can find the answer...

I'm just basically wanting to know if the signal is the same. Is it exactly the same whether you get channel 1-13 or HD DVR or high speed internet?? Is it the same and the equipment converts it to what you need or do the techs actually change the signal when you change a service?? I hope I can find the answer...

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will give it one more try.
  • The cable coming from Comcast has all the channels signals flowing through it, but most are encoded. When you pay for the Comcast HD DVR and digital cable, they send a signal to your DVR to decode the channels you pay for. So if you hook up your TV directly to the cable w/o the DVR, you will most likely only get SD versions of channels 2-13.
  • If your TV has a QAM tuner, you have to connect an OTA antenna to your TV and pick up the HD locals over the airwaves.
  • You will not be able to connect the Comcast cable to the D* HD DVR and get any Comcast HD channels. You can add an AM21 to the D* DVR along with an antenna and pick up and record the local channels in HD. Provided you are close enough to pick up a signal over the air.
I think that’s what you might be asking.

Last edited:
I sent you a private message. By the way where ru?

just wanting to know if anyone uses this setup or if they know anything about this... not wanting to be referred or anything.... I've already signed up and it's being installed Saturday.
Well leibluewa, I guess people are here to get answers, not to be solicited for referrals. You only had 10 PM's like that in the last month.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will give it one more try.
  • The cable coming from Comcast has all the channels signals flowing through it, but most are encoded. When you pay for the Comcast HD DVR and digital cable, they send a signal to your DVR to decode the channels you pay for. So if you hook up your TV directly to the cable w/o the DVR, you will only get SD versions of channels 2-13.
  • If your TV has a QAM tuner, you have to connect an OTA antenna to your TV and pick up the HD locals over the airwaves.
  • You will not be able to connect the Comcast cable to the D* HD DVR and get any Comcast HD channels. You can add an AM21 to the D* DVR along with an antenna and pick up and record the local channels in HD. Provided you are close enough to pick up a signal over the air.
I think that’s what you might be asking.

Ok, let me clarify all of this..... For years now, I've been subscribed to Comcast. In 2004, I got the HD-DVR when I got my HDTV. That HDTV has plain analog tuner and it also has a Digital/Astc/QAM tuner. Occasionally I will tinker around with the digital tuner on my HDTV. I plug my cable directly into that digital tuner. From there, I will access the menu on my television and select to scan for digital channels (not a regular channel scan like 2-125 but channels like 79-2 or 67-8.) When that is finished, I have always recieved all the local channels and a few others; and they are in HD. Keep in mind that this is without the box.

I am familiar with all of my options provided through D*. The easiest way to explain this is that I simply want my locals in HD. I don't want any Comcast channels through my D* box or anything. I just want to know when I change to LIMITED BASIC cable (i think it's like channels 2-13) will I still be able to recieve these local channels of mine (like I always have) in hd? Or does the composition of the signal change hindering my ability to get these channels??

My basic hope is for someone to have a similar setup like mine: Comcast High speed internet, and Limited Basic cable (cheaper than JUST High Speed Internet so I figured why not.) I want to use the digital tuner on my tv to get the HD locals through comcast. That will be it's only purpose.

Thanks!

• The cable coming from Comcast has all the channels signals flowing through it, but most are encoded. When you pay for the Comcast HD DVR and digital cable, they send a signal to your DVR to decode the channels you pay for. So if you hook up your TV directly to the cable w/o the DVR, you will most likely only get SD versions of channels 2-13.

Well, I have this setup now. The only HD channel I don't get is FOX. All other local HD channels come through fine. When I first moved over about a year ago, I got them all. For some reason, they encoded only FOX. I haven't checked it for a couple of months, but I suspect its still the same.

The one other thing I've heard is that sometimes they move the digital channels around so its on a different sub-number.

I've got lifeline cable from Cox, and I still get the local digital channels with the TV's QAM tuner.

Ok, let me clarify all of this.....

My basic hope is for someone to have a similar setup like mine: Comcast High speed internet, and Limited Basic cable (cheaper than JUST High Speed Internet so I figured why not.) I want to use the digital tuner on my tv to get the HD locals through comcast. That will be it's only purpose.

Thanks!
I suggest you find a Comcast forum and post this. I had Time Warner with HD DVR's. Until they did a complete disconnect, I could use the QAM tuner to pick up all locals in HD on channels like 79-3. Premium channels were encoded, so I couldn't get them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)